Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalBlood Angels Army Project (pic carpet bombing ftw!)

• ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    :lol:

But could you sculpt something detailed enough with green-stuff and dry brush it to make a brass relief? Well, obviously it's possible, just wondering what sort of time consuming nightmare that'd be. Unless there's an easy enough way to export a normal/bump map to a rapid prototyping machine.
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Didn't read the thread but at a glance that looks like laser etching. If you wanted to do it via a 3D printer you'd definitely need a model rather than an image. The problem would be the print resolution at the scale you are dealing with. But if a subtractive process like laser etching could handle it then it would be interesting to see what the result would be like.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, it's laser etching indeed. So it probably can't handle huge height differences but I've seen some impressive things being presented in that thread. They can work with just greyscale images so it's relatively quick & easy to cook up something. I think I might use them on some future vehicle project.
    Halloween update, shock & horror! I decided to get those two squads fully finished now that I've got the decals to put on the right shoulder pads.
    Everything went smoothly and perfectly. I gave the little guys a coat of satin varnish, applied some Micro Set on the decal spots, applied the decals, and over the past few days, gave the decals a few coats of Micro Sol. And the decals looked perfectly blended in, utterly transparent, and the edges were almost gone. Seriously, they looked perfect. And today I gave them a coat from the same, almost full, can of satin varnish and look what happened. All tricks but no treat. :(

Look at the first model, that's how they are after the satin coat. The decal completely shows it's surface, and the whole model has a somewhat white misted tint to it. And it's the same frickin' can I used not two days ago without a hitch.
    I first tried another coat of satin varnish on one model, no luck. As soon as it dried out the mishap reappeared.

I tested on the second model with the thinned black oil wash I intended to give them, hoping the oil would smooth out the misty effect. it kinda did, but as soon as it dries out completely, the effect seems to come back. Somewhat diminished, but still there.

And the third model I have an unthinned coat of Klear gloss varnish, hoping that that would fix it. As soon as it dried, no luck.

Any help and assistance on how I might be able to fix this would be greatly appreciated as I've got 20 Marines sitting like this... :(

IMG_4485.JPG
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Wow, that sucks, dude. I know nothing about this stuff so, unfortunately, I don't know how it happened or how to fix it. :(
    Well, there's a first time for everything. Even varnish frosting due to humidity...
    I talked to some other people and the consensus was a reaction of the spray from the can with the humidity of the air... And yeah, it was a bit chilly and later in the afternoon it started raining pretty hard.

But... an afternoon of damage control later I managed to completely reverse the damage! :D
    I almost was at a loss as testing with gloss coats did not resolve the decal problem, only fixated it in place. And extra layers of Micro Sol only temporarily masked the problem. I was at a loss when it hit me, why not try to capture the temporary state?
    So I stabbed every decal furiously with a modeling knife to perforate both the the satin coat and the decal itself. I then applied Micro Sol, which made the decal transparent again, and I rubbed as much off with the brush as possible until it was damp but still transparent. Then I quickly applied Vallejo gloss varnish with a brush, and the rest of the model as well. And lo and behold, the decals are back to their pristine state and the gloss varnish also took care of the frosting. Now that saved me a lot of time scraping off and re-applying decals.

So then I proceeded as planned and applied a wash of thinned black oil paint to bring out all the details and I must admit they look pretty good. Thanks to DST, there's no daylight left so I took some shots to show the result. They just need a satin coat again, and basing.
    During the many drying periods I also gave the Stormraven 4 highlights by drybrushing, a red glaze, a deep red wash, and another drybrushed highlight. The red's finished now, sealed with a coat of Klear, and ready for masking out the to-be black sections. Again, no decent light so I'll post some pics of that tomorrow together with some more pics of the marines.

IMG_4491.JPG
    It's good that you were able to fix it. They look great. :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    do you apply a decal fixer at all? I've never used it myself, but from what I understand it's basically a solvent that melts the decal into the paint, making it indistinguishable from paint
    Well, that's the Micro Sol I've been using, very good stuff exactly for that. The freakish weather conditions did weird stuff with the satin varnish.
    Well, it's fixed and they look epic. Even with your "disaster" they look better than 90% of the models out there.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    These look really Great!
    Thanks guys! Yeah, it was a very close call... :D

As promised... Some more pics. The marines are still glossy, and as I couldn't the direct light for the SR pics, the tint shown is not 100% accurate. In real life it's much deeper with more subtle gradations here and there from the airbrush shading, consecutive drybrushing, and inking. But it's good enough to show the idea. Don't mind the little dark spots from excessive inks. those will be worked into the weathering. ;)

As always, any request for specific shots, questions, remarks, mad banter, or mind-bending conundrums are welcome. ;)

IMG_4512.JPG
    IMG_4517.JPG
    Thats is looking dam sweet!
    Yeah, what Dean said. :D
    There's just that "something" that all the layers have done to that Stormraven. Are you mostly using an airbrush or do you still go for the fine horse hair brushes too?
    Cheers guys! Well, I did some gentle shading and highlighting first with the air brush and I applied all inks and washes using the airbrush. The drybrushing in between was done with a flat drybrush of about 2cm wide. They key was just to drybrush with a very dry brush. I even prefer to let the paint dry just a little bit until it just becomes tacky. And then then rub/stroke the brush on a cloth until no paint comes off. A good bit to test on is the meat of your thumb. You're good to go if almost no paint is left behind. Same technique I used on the regular marines, but with varying sizes of drybrushes.
    That's also the main reason I paint them unassembled, it allows for much rougher and faster work per part, and the details are easier to do afterwards as well.

Painting's been a bit slow lately. Work and some other stuff has been keeping me busy, but just to show I've not been doing nuffin'; here's what I've been doing at the moment. I've fallen a bit sick just before a long weekend So I decided to start masking out the Storm Raven slowly as long as the headache allows it.

IMG_4522.JPG

Next up is the taping of the wings. :)
    What's with the foil wrap?

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, I hope you start feeling better soon.
    Cheers uate. The foil wrap saves quite a bit of masking tape. :D
    I thought maybe that was it, but I wasn't sure. :)
    Cooking's done!

IMG_4526.JPG
    IMG_4538.JPG
    I managed to get a design going for the side panels. I think this would suit it. Not 100% convinced myself though, so what to you think?

The top one is for the right panel, the bottom ones are for the left panel.

noseart06.jpg
    And in the mean time, I couldn't help myself, I just couldn't... :D

(right-click 'm open, they're large res)
    NoseartTest001.jpg
    Here are some designs for the tail art, just some preliminary designs. I'm a bit unsure what way I want to go with this.

0Skull&bonesTEST.jpg
    IMG_4527-Nosetest.jpg
    Man, I'm absolutely loving those decal ideas. That's some fantastic artwork and it looks great on the model, especially the skulls on the vertical wings.

Great work so far on the painting. :D
    Meph wrote: »
    *EDIT* Double post, may be deleted.

If you hit the "Edit post" link, there's an option to delete it yourself. The mods and admins will know it's there but, to everyone else, it will go away. :)
    I am really loving the paint job you have done with this.
    Alrighty, I haven't been painting much. Weather conditions have been too bad for outside airbrushing so I finished some odds and ends.
    I finished up the Land Raider and the marines, all they need is a coat of satin varnish and they're done.
    I wanted to put some small rubble on the bases but after endless and fruitless searching I decided to flock it. It looks pretty good but I feel if perhaps I shouldn't give it some thinned brown ink or something...
    And the following weeks I need to finish up the sheet of custom decals. I'm slowly painting up the details on the Storm Raven so I can start the weathering process.

I took some indoor pics just for fun. ^^ Ih, the Razorback is is also almost done, just some heat distortion on the las cannons and painting up the lenzes.

Enjoy!

IMG_4546.JPG
    IMG_4551.JPG
    IMG_4555.JPG
    IMG_4559.JPG
    Alrighty, I haven't been painting much. Weather conditions have been too bad for outside airbrushing so I finished some odds and ends.
    I finished up the Land Raider and the marines, all they need is a coat of satin varnish and they're done.
    I wanted to put some small rubble on the bases but after endless and fruitless searching I decided to flock it. It looks pretty good but I feel if perhaps I shouldn't give it some thinned brown ink or something...
    And the following weeks I need to finish up the sheet of custom decals. I'm slowly painting up the details on the Storm Raven so I can start the weathering process.

I took some indoor pics just for fun. ^^ Ih, the Razorback is is also almost done, just some heat distortion on the las cannons and painting up the lenzes.

Enjoy!

IMG_4546.JPG
    IMG_4551.JPG
    IMG_4555.JPG
    IMG_4559.JPG
    That stuff looks great, dude. :thumb:

Too bad you're not having weather like where I live. We've been having unseasonably warm temperatures (50-60 degrees Fahrenheit) and sunny skies the last few days. Starting today, though, it's cooling off and is rainy, but the past few days would have been great for painting outside.
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent paint jobs Meph ... exceptional work on the weathering ... nicely done ! :thumb:

Jas