Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalBlood Angels Army Project (pic carpet bombing ftw!)

• MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Freak wrote: »
    really impressive work mate!
    Cheers mate!
    Excellent! If i only had your skill and paitence.....:)
    Hehehe, and you don't need any of those two when poly-modeling? Click-dragging thousands and thousands of verteces... Oiiii :S
    A large part of painting also just boils down to patience and familiarity with the materials, both acquired skills. Have at it! ;)

In the mean time.
    The lighting conditions were pretty crappy but I decided to take some pics anyhow. The weather has been pretty grey since a few days. Voila, lenzes and gems painted in. A of me senses that some extra colour might be nice for visual impact, but the statue look has really grown in me. As ancient chapter relics, these armours can be easily imagined standing sentry, looking very much like ancient status. Could be a great movie scene, barely lit corridor, harsh shadows, lenzes flaring to life.

IMG_4922b.jpg

Oh, and there are a few details that still need to be painted in, a final sealing coat, and some gloss on the lenzes and gems.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Bad lighting is what the camera flash is for. :p

Great work as usual, bro. I especially like the dude with the battle ax and pistol and the dude with the broadsword and pistol. They look ready to frack something up. :devil:
    Bad lighting is what the camera flash is for. :p

Great work as usual, bro. I especially like the dude with the battle ax and pistol and the dude with the broadsword and pistol. They look ready to frack something up. :devil:

Hah, yeah, many a body part will be dismembered when these guys pass through town. Best not drop any chewing gum on the pavement or it's off with yer head!

Also, no flash, nevah! :D
    Just to show that I've not been sitting still. The next batch basecoated, three thinned layers. The paint is still wet even and most likely they'll need another coat.
    It's the land speeder squadron & magnetized parts, and the all-HB Dev. Squad. The SR is on hold as I still didn't manage to print the decals.

IMG_4923.JPG
    It looks like the morning after the battle. :lol:

Seriously, it's nice to see you're still at it. :)
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Looks like your spray booth is in need of some repairs.
    There's no painting like painting with a paint bomb. Splat! :D
    lol, the spray booth can be disassembled and stored (which is a fancy way for two cardboard boxes and a thin Amazon book cover.)

Anywhoo, progress!
    First up the marines and speeders received 4 drybrush highlights. Blood Red, orange with some blood red, Ice Yellow with some orange, and Ice Yellow. I never cleaned out my palette so the very few leftover colours from the previous run were mixed in with the fresh, lighter paint.

Then they received three spray on washes, applied liberally with the GW spraygun.
    Two washes red ink, the new GW red glaze and demineralized water to a ratio of roughly 2:2:5
    One wash with more of the darker red ink to it was more of a 3:1:5 mix.

IMG_4937.JPG

Now the red is ready on the models although I might accent some edges a bit more with a very light and dry brush with Vallejo's Ice Yellow.

IMG_4949.JPG

So from now on I'll focus on the speeders and finish the dev. squad after that. It's a smoother workflow if you can focus on one type of unit. And the Land Speeders have extra, magnetized parts so that's quite a bit to paint anyhow.
    As an excuse to clearly distinguish the different units in the Land Speeder squadron, what better way than stripes, right? Also, it's the only way to make an already red vehicle go faster, innit? ^_^

IMG_4953.JPG
    Looking great, Meph. You're to my favorite part, the weathering. :D
    Yup, but first I have to brave the mind-numbingly boring part of painting black on all the details. :(
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    really nice work.
    I guess your to into this to get back into 3d. ;)
    Cheers, mate.
    Honestly, yeah... I'm too into this atm. After spending my working days behind my three 22" screens at work, it's such a joy to do something analogue to balance it. Y'know, just some music on, tv off, and paint the hours away.
    On the other hand, those Herakles/Olympic and other designs still float around in my head and I wish I had some speedy way to transfer those ideas from my mind into a 3D shape, but thinking about hours & hours of pulling polygons and verteces around make me grab for a brush and some paint pretty quickly.
    I'm pretty confident that there will come a time when the call of 3DStudio Max will be too great to ignore, but for now, that beast is left pacing in its cage.

High-Res Picture Time!

The group picture's a bit fuzzier than I thought but you get the general idea. I did take some high-res pics of the individual units as well.
    I included some easy-to-unbox oldskool mini's which were painted right before my almost 10-year painting hiatus, so you can see the difference. If I dug up all my old BA mini's I could easily add several thousand points worth of mini's; 4-5 marine squads, around 30 terminators, a dozen vehicles, lots of characters, some weird and odd conversions, etc etc. And that's just my Blood Angels, I've got loads of other ancient stuff as well, as well as a dusty Eldar Alaitoc army.

I'm thinking to either update/finish that Captain, or either remake it using new model parts.
    Oh, and I forgot my dreadnoughts, three of them, all old metal ones. I kinda overlooked them as they're spread around on book shelves...

There are currently another Land Raider, and a Rhino/predator/Razorback waiting to start, and I've got my eye set on a Contemptor, a Stormeagle, Librarian, and Assault Squad. In that order of eagerness to buy/paint.

Army
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4960.JPG

Units
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4963.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4965.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4966.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4968.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4969.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4970.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4971.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4972.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4973.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4976.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4977.JPG
    http://postwarvandal.com/Meph/Land_Raiders/BA/IMG_4978.JPG

Enjoy!
    Technically, this is 3D modeling. (unless you live on a different plane of existence than the rest of us ;))

I love the big pics. They help us to see the massive amount of details on these models. Great stuff. :D
    lol true, true, physical touch-feely modeling. :D

Somehow I completely overlooked the dreads. :rotfl:
    I actually have four of them. All metal, once really old, two old and updated at the time I started my FW Marine, and one old but never finished.
    Here's three of them (old photos):

IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    Now that looks wicked.
    Cheers mate!

Proof that I haven't been sitting still! :) The tedious, tedious job of painting the parts black has been done so now I can move on the the slightly less tedious job of painting all the details in and applying the decals.
    I've hit a snag though, my airbrush broke so I've been looking around to buy a new one, and an upgrade at that. I figure that after 4 years of suing a cheap one, I can move on to something better with a budget between 100-200 Euro. I've been going nuts with searching. So many brands and types. I'm definitely going for a dual action one, but I'm still on the fence if I should go gravity feed, or bottom feed... Also, what needle diameter.. choices choices! I'm looking for something not too small as I don't intend to go for ultra-fine airbrush work, but rather that can handle some volume and large surfaces as well as work in medium-to-fine detail, as well as being sturdy and easy to use. As it's going to be a respectable buy in terms of cash, I could use any suggestion and experience any of you guys had with the 'better' brands and types of airbrushes. I'm sure I'll be able to pick out something decent by myself but any positive experiences are welcome, such as ease of maintenance, simplicity of mechanics etc etc.

IMG_4991.JPG
    Looks like you've been having fun. :devil:
    Really nice, hope you find a new airbursh soon.
    lol, yeah, the Rolling Stones were WRONG! I do NOt want to paint it black. ^^

Well, I was actually eyeballing an Itawa grav. feed, but then I stumbled across this and was sold immediately. That nozzle just looks so wicked and seems difficult to clog up. ^^ Also, while a grav. feed seems very appealing to work with small quantities of paint, the seemingly much easier to switch suction feed seems like a bonus when wanting to switch colours quickly as you can hold a jar of water/cleaner nearby instead of having to clean out the whole grav. cup each time...

Also, it's called Badger Renegade Rage. Anything with Rage in it just has to be wicked. :D

badgerreviewbg_3.jpg
    95668.jpg
    Pwogwess!
    Also, some goodies have arrived. I present to you a hunter and its prey. The plan is to have the dreadnought look like he just charged into a failed ambush. one Striking Scorpion impaled on his Assault Cannon bayonette (oh yeah, I'm going there ^^), one SR crunched in his power fist like a rag doll, and one being kicked in the chest so hard he breaks double over the foot. :D
    That project will slowly start as well, but finishing the painting takes priority atm.

The detail painting is going well as well, the gold/bronze is painted in, the Vallejo Aluminium that makes a great silver, a few red metallic blood drops and I drybrushed bolt Gun metal on the other to-be metallic parts. The engines were first drybrushed in my bronze mix and some parts received a secon drybrush with BG metal.

Onwards & upwards!

IMG_4992.JPG
    Should have used Banshees instead. They are much more squishy (and hotter, although I remember the original Aspect Warrior concept art by Jes Goodwin that had some female Scorpions).
    lol, yeah, girls are more squishy. ^^ Sadly I was worried about their hair too much. That seemed much more difficult to adjust and if necessary, remodel. The Finecrap stuff also seemed easier to convert, it is quite bendy so I'm hoping that by warming, and then flash-cooling I can bend and re-set some body parts so I don't have to cut & greenstuff every body part.

Well, luckily it wasn't Finecrap, sadly it was Failcast... there was a whole frickin' model missing! Luckily the mold lines are naturally rounded off so it's clearly a miscast and not a dodgy employee with clippers. :)
    I ordered the box from Waylandgames.co.uk , which was waaaaay cheaper than ordering from GW directly and they swiftly asked me to send it back, refund the shipping costs and get me a new box out. Two thumbs up for their service, let's just hope it gets here faster than the 3-4 weeks it took for them to ship out the first box...

And for the rest, no progress, more excuses! Some more goodies arrived, a large scantly clad female (w00h00!) and my new airbrush. I just love the way that gunmetal airbrush looks awesome and would look nicely assorted with my car in case the dash board would have an airbursh mount. ^^
    I can't wait to give that brush a blast of air. But first things first, now that I'm back from a short vacation I can get back to painting. The mates and me had our annual 4-day gaming weekend in a house in the middle of nowhere for which i had to prepare and GM a 3-day Shadowrun adventure. We had a blast but the prepping ate all my painting time.

IMG_4997.JPG
    Plastic Eldar! Shows you how long I have been out of the game.

Scantily clad chick = :thumb: Where's that figure from? This another commission, or for yourself? And are you doing it straight out of the box, or customising it?
    lol, beyond plastic even! It's the new frankenplastic Finecast, the hybrid son of Plastic and Resin. :D

The large model comes from www.E2046.com. Most of their stuff is full-blown manga and anime, but they do have some more 'realistic' models. they have great retro-sci-fi stuff as well. This won't be the last I order from them. The model I bought is called 'A Touch of Ice' :D
    Hrmm, they seem pretty reasonable price-wise. That figure shows up at $46 in monopoly money. It would seem they are in Hong Kong - what are their shipping rates like?
    Well, I paid 6,97 EUR for the shipping, which would make it around 8,7 Yankee Dinars with the current rates.
    It's pretty decent considering the size of the box (not that huge but it is a big model), but the casting material they use is pretty light, so...

[Edit:] Oh, and the model is just for myself. I don't commissions, the only stuff I've painted for others were gifts for friends' birthdays. At the rate I paint, any commission would be painfully uneconomical. ^^
    Shipping is usually more about volume than weight, so a big empty box will usually cost more to ship than a small heavy one (unless you are shipping lead or something). I'm guessing at that price it must have only been regular air mail.

I only meant commission in the broadest sense, i.e. for someone else. Glad to see this one is for yourself. She looks like a keeper. ;)

I'm interested to see how you go about painting her. In the pics of the finished one, it looks like they managed a translucent look for the stockings. If the legs are all one piece, as they appear to be, that's an interesting challenge.
    Ah, indeed, stockings... I think I can build some up using very thin layers and new ultra mean-looking fantasmagoric airbrush. :D
    I imagine it so, floating in front of me, following my mind while the tune of 'the apprentice' running in the background. (not the fake-haored billionaire, the one with the brooms)
    rofl Good find! :D
    I'm still slowly chugging away on the Land Speeders. But sheer shock and disbelief with the silly new Stomtalon made me cough up this...

StormTalontest.jpg