Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWIP Normandy SR3 (my version)

fabiazzfabiazz0 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Mass Effect 3 is still far from launching. There is not even a clue whether or not there will be a third ship replacing Normandy SR2. If they plan to add a new ship, I hope they don't wreak it like SR1. The story will kinda boring that way. There is a lot of way some one change ship.

Since it's not out yet I'll visualize my version of Normandy SR3 if there is any.
here what i got after starting yesterday. I use SketchUp 8 for the modeling (this the only thing I can use for now, but I'm planing to learn Blender soon) and Kerkythea for rendering. I'm planing to create it full with the interior layout.
Wall Paper edit.jpg
Sort explanation of the model.
It's does not change much from the previous ship. I only add a hole floor plan for the top level (Previously only captain cabin). A new set wing mechanism. This will allow the wings to split into four. probably will resemble Star Wars X-wing, with the top set of wings is shorter from the lower set. But when it close it will resemble sr2 wings. I probably add some more as the work progress. hopefully it's done before ME3 out.

Problem found.
-Some Hydraulic doesn't fit well after the wing split (probably need new ridging layout)

Suggestion and Critique are welcome, and by the way I'm still new here so please don't be so hard:D
86257.jpg
Post edited by fabiazz on
Tagged:

• AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    That's a good start for a great model. Nothing to criticise at the moment. :thumb:
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I'm digging those moving wings. It looks pretty awesome :) The ship does become a bit big now, though...
  • fabiazzfabiazz0 Posts: 0Member
    Add Back and Front Thruster.
    prev2.jpg
    Previous Normandy sr2 had fairly large thruster and sr1 had quite flexible one that can be directed at many direction. For this, I just make them double the count of back thruster from previous one. I also make them flexible to swivel several degree in up and down direction.
    prev3.jpg
    In SR2 version I think this front thruster are not functional and stand only as a decoration. In SR1 it use often in high gravity world. At this part I design the front thruster a bit different from both previous version. I equip them with focuser. the focuser work using basic hydraulic mechanism. Move outward for obtain more focus and backward to expand the thruster range.

And... about the back thruster. I kinda cheated a little bit. I already use them before in other model I created. I'm to lazy to create new one. I'll modify a bit this one later.

Here the model where the thruster use before.
    Garuda Exte2.png
    You can obtain the model at Google 3D Warehouse at this link. It's in .skp file format
    I'm digging those moving wings. It looks pretty awesome The ship does become a bit big now, though... by BorgMan
    Well... It's bigger now. Since I bit lacking working with accuracy, I don't quite now the exact length or how fat it become.
    That's a good start for a great model. Nothing to criticise at the moment. by Alnair
    Maybe as the work progress you'll find something.
    85445.jpg85448.png85449.jpg
  • SovereignSovereign171 Posts: 0Member
    S-foils to attack position!
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I think with that last one you could get away with it being an original design
    Here is some picture of the hydraulic that move the wings.
    hydroulic.jpg
    Fix The proportion for the preparation to create the floor and body frame layout.
    New Proportion.jpg
    The floor layout along with the escape pod hatch and engine core room. still in planing stage.
    floor Layout.pngEscape Pad Layout.pngCore Layout.png

S-foils to attack position! by Sovereign
    :lol:
    I think with that last one you could get away with it being an original design by IRML
    Not really, I Posted this model on DA some of them commented something like this " This ship remind me of Normandy." probably from the windows curve line.
    85456.jpg85457.jpg85458.png85459.png85460.png
    Resume the work after mount Merapi has calm down.
    nor.jpg

Add back fin, some detail in engine and body part.
    Back.jpg
    Add Windows (still Searching for fake interior texture)
    Window.jpg
    3d WIP model available at Google 3D Warehouse
    86079.jpg86080.jpg86073.jpg
    really like what you've done with the engines, I remember thinking the SR1 had pretty original engines, but the placement on SR2 was far more generic looking, but this is back to looking quite original

I would say it's probably far too large in scale for what the normandy would be, it's looking kind of like a space passenger ship or something, but that doesn't change the fact it's a cool design

good work
    IRML
    really like what you've done with the engines, I remember thinking the SR1 had pretty original engines, but the placement on SR2 was far more generic looking, but this is back to looking quite original

I would say it's probably far too large in scale for what the normandy would be, it's looking kind of like a space passenger ship or something, but that doesn't change the fact it's a cool design

good work

by IRML

I noticed that also, Before adding windows the ship does not seams that BIG. It's suppose to be only 25% larger then SR2.

normandy_sr3_consept_wip_4_by_pangeranberbajuputih-d34hrb8.jpg

This is so far what I get. This is the color concept that I come out with.
    normandy sr3.1 (2).png
    normandy sr3.1.png
    normandy sr3.2.png

Add color and some missing profile.

I decided to drop the interior, Can't get the scale right for a moment.
    Now i having hard time find the right font for NORMANDY and SR3 text and also where to place them.
    86105.png86106.png86107.png
    the colour looks a bit cerberus to me, I always imagined sheperd would leave them as soon as he got the chance

also about the windows, maybe just have less of them, more spaced out so they look like portholes, that could help with the scale issue
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    This view here makes me wonder what a starfleet tech version might look like:
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=86834&d=1291865201
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Almost looks the same, except for alot of windows
    I think it's about as different from the second ship as the second is from the first, which is about as different as it needs to be

I think fans of mass effect should be able to tell it doesn't look the same
    A“2 million dead by the first day. Another 7 million by the end of the first weekA”

The official Mass Effect announcement video is already out to public. That the first sentence that narrated in the video. There is no official Normandy SR3 yet.

But this is my concept version of Normandy SR3.
    Rendered.jpg
    Sr3 Blue Print 2500.jpg
    normandy sr3.4 2500.jpg
    normandy sr3 wing.jpg
    Fix note:
    Reduce the number of the windows.
    Add green in the ship color to so it will not look Cerberus to much.

3D model at google 3d warehouse
    Wings Up
    Wings Down
    86205.jpg86206.jpg86207.jpg86208.jpg
    personally I'm not liking the green, it clashes with the other colours and kind of sticks out, I like your placement of the colours, but I would choose a different 2 tone scheme, also I would leave the recess for the pistons without any colour

I like what you've done with the windows, I would say they are almost perfect, but I would change the sets of 2 windows close together, because they kind of look like smaller windows and still cause confusion with the scale

almost there I'd say, great work
    Green is not a good idea after all. Red maybe more of a match. fix the windows.
    WallPaperedit.jpg?t=1292587116
    86256.jpg
  • EldarionEldarion0 Posts: 0Member
    Cool ship design fabiazz. Looking forward to seeing it done!
  • DarkBandit5DarkBandit50 Posts: 0Member
    srry for being late but that an awesome model even if u were way off lol cuz they made it into an alliance cruiser exactly like the SR2 just with blue detail instead of orange or red with a war room where the old lab used to be
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I'll say this much.
    It's a better articulating design than the SR-2 ridiculous sliding engines over a delta wing. That's just not possible the way they designed it. This Delta Wing is a better concept but ....the purpose of the moving engines is to position them outboard for greater maneuverability and then stow them for a tight center of gravity during transit through the relay. I'm not sure if this accomplishes that goal. it's a good look so far.