Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCavebear Stuff

12346»

• cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    to ask what sort of voyages does the "ring ship"(is that the ring on the front or just a whipple shield) do? interplanetary, interstellar?

So at this point in time there is only interplanetary travel. Interstellar is not developed until 393 years later:

1 BE: “Second Company War” ends.
    1 AE: On the date 167-0001 AE a newly designed "Pathfinder" class survey ship departs the Corfu system for the Jacent system 17.23 LY's away. It successfully reached its goal in just over seven days. Two months later on 227-0001 AE, two more of the new Pathfinder ships leave for different destinations. One is sent to the Indo system and the other to the Durendal system. On the date 347-0001 AE, four months after the double departure, a single Pathfinder leaves for the Lysen system 51.6 LY's away. Average TL is 8, with some TL 9 items IE: Hyperdrive.

Well, I called this the Ring Ship because of the habitable rings it has. But its real name is the "Porter Lake":

393 BE: Laker Mining Company commissions the “Porter Lake” Transhauler for the Corfu to Rigel Asteroid Belt route. The ship is usually used to transport rotating crew personnel back and forth from the Rigel torus station and Corfu. Some of the workers bring their families with them as travel times are so long. Family quarters are provided in the Rigel torus. As Corfu is 1 AU from the Sun and the Rigel Asteroid Belt is 40.5 AU from the Sun, the average distance is 39.5 AU. With the newest VASIMR drive fitted, the ship can make a one way trip in just 2.16 years. Notation with the photographic documentation reads "Taken by photographer Charles H. Benton of the Laker Mining Company while on board the LMC 662 ‘Silver Dove’ chase craft."

BE: *Before Expansion (From the Corfu Solar System).
    AE: *After Expansion (From the Corfu Solar System).
    *The reference BE and AE did not come into common usage until the Lysen War was over in 8 AE.

Then the current version of the "Porter Lake" was developed in 380 as part of an upgrade.

380 BE: Laker Mining Company overhauls the “Porter Lake” by removing the original long form fuel tanks and installing 24 massive spherical tanks. This massively enlarged capacity provides enough fuel reserve to supply the Rigel Torus Station and allow for a non-refuelled return trip back to Corfu. A new docking module is located aft of the last rotating habitat ring and allows for two ships to be docked to the Porter Lake at a time. The long docking tubes are 6 meters in diameter providing for a large increase in storage and lab space. The original heat radiators have been replaced by much larger and more efficient radiators that have also become the locations for many communications and sensor pallets. The last major outward physical change was replacing the original particle shield with a larger shield. Internally all computers have been updated and all interior spaces have been completely refurbished.
    o'ryan fighter didn't look very messed up to me. i'm not a fan of the wing configuration but it certainly works as a model and the details look pretty good. it reminds me somewhat of the nazi silbervogel spaceplane concept and of modified v1 flying bombs.

Hehe, you didn't have to deal with all the tiny faces that went missing and had to be filled in by hand when I put the two half's together. Plus all the details are just wrong. I didn't have a plan when I started it. It was all done on the fly so there are a ton of design flaws but I succeeded in learning how to do the job. The wings didn't turn out at all the way I was thinking either. Weird shape and too small.

Just tinkering around when I get time away from my son. Right now I get about an hour a week to do what I want :)

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_013.png~original

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_012.png~original

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_011.png~original

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_010.png~original

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_006.png~original

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_005.jpg~original

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_004.png~original

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_004.jpg~original

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_002.png~original

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_001.png~original
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Nice "Tinkering" way to use that one hour!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • Knight26Knight26191 Posts: 837Member
    Interesting, what is it?
    Thanks Starrigger :) Wish I had more time.
    Hey there Knight26,

It is a ship I am making for the Traveller RPG. Here is what I have on it so far:

Lakulish Class Type 6483 Heavy Cargo Hauler

The Lakulish Class Type 6483 Heavy Cargo Hauler was designed by *insert Traveller company here* and is built in several variants both in the Imperium and under license in the Zhodani Consulate where the ship class is known as the Zdavr Class Type 6483-2 Heavy Cargo Hauler.

This class first came to service almost 300 years ago and has proven to be a popular ship. Updated variants are still being commissioned to this day and a large support infrastructure for updating and modifying the ship type has developed throughout the Sectors it can be found in.

Aside from the units owned and operated by conglomerates and Mega-Corporations, many of the Lakulish and Zdavr Heavy Cargo Haulers are family owned and operated with the original owner’s children and grandchildren taking over from the preceding generations.

A popular modification in the early years was to outfit one of the non-cargo sections of the pusher module into a family residence complete with school, green spaces and water features. As almost half of purchased 6483’s were bought by owner operators, this early mod became standard on all new builds as Type 6483-1’s. A paying passenger modification was created for those ship owners who ran the vessels in areas where they could depend on a high passenger load. Usually this modification was done for ships owned by the conglomerates and Mega-Corps and was known as the Type 6483-1a.

The ship is made of interconnecting cylinder units where each cylinder unit has a diameter of 40 meters and a height of 20 meters.

The ship is made up of a total of 32 cylinder units broken up into 5 sections laid out in the following pattern:

AA-BBBBBBBB-BBBBBBBB-BBBBBBBB-CCCCCC

A=Main sensors, small craft (refueling, cargo moving and passenger);
    B=Cargo Cylinder units;
    C=Bridge, crew quarters, engineering, PP, JD, MD, etc.
    There are 4 interconnect units total between the A, B, and C units.

Pusher type layout built originally with TL12 technology while the newer versions are built using TL-12 to TL-15 depending on ship yard tech level. Note: There are no TL-15 ship yards in the Foreven Sector.

Standard configuration before any modifications requested by the purchaser:
    JD-4, MD-1, PP-4.
    No added armour.
    No Weapons installed in the hard points.
    Did a little more work on the hauler.

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_014resize.png~original

Heavy%20Cargo%20Hauler%20Type%206483-2_017resize.png~original
  • DaemoriaDaemoria331 Posts: 0Member
    Very interesting design Cavebear. The portrayal of realistic starcraft needs more of this stuff.

The modular nature of the components lends a lot of believability. I can easily see entire merchant fleets of these craft, each with different hull configurations.

I'm not familiar with the Traveler RPG setting tho, so I'm unclear on several things. What is this vessels means of propulsion/reaction control, and what are the various abbreviations? PP, JD, MD, (JD-4, MD-1, PP-4) etc.
    Good day Daemoria,

PP: Power Plant
    JD: Jump Drive
    MD: Manoeuver Drive
    In the original Traveller and up to Traveller 5 where some changes were made to allow for different kinds of FTL there had been limits upon the manoeuver drive and the jump drive.

You could have JD numbers from 1 through 6 and MD numbers 1 through 6 but PP numbers could go higher.

MD numbers are in G's and represent how many G's the ship could accelerate. Now it doesn't seem like much but that is only as high as the Gravity compensators could handle before you would end up plastered against a bulkhead.

JD number is in parsecs. (3.26 LY's per parsec) so if you had a JD 1 you would travel 1 parsec in a week, JD2 would allow you to jump 2 parsecs in a week or a 1 parsec jump in a week and so on. You cannot jump two consecutive jump 1's if you have a JD2 capable ship. JD2 is just how far you could jump in one go if you wanted to. After jumping only 1 parsec you would still have to refuel.

PP number has to match or be higher than the largest MD or JD number (whichever is highest).

If you go here: http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/shipyard/stm/index.html you will find a fairly good write-up about how the maneouver drive functions.
    Well, it has been 4 years since I put anything new up. My son is now 7.5 years old and I have even less time to work on the computer than before. But...I retire in 17 months and hopefully be able to get back into the 3D modelling.
    Lizzy777
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    hi cavebear, welcome back :) Hope to see more from you soon.
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Cavebear, I feel ya! Mine is just about ready to turn 7, It is unbelievable how time flies. Good to hear from you.
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds