Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCavebear Stuff

• cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    So, tomorrow is the "BIG" day. My son Brandon will be born (C-Section):argh:. I wonder how much time I will have for this stuff? I guess I'll know in about 18 years :lol:......:(......:o
    Okay, its been a really long day. I'm finally a Dad :)
    :argh:
    I just realized that I haven't posted any of my work since the 12th Sep 2011. On the other hand, my son who is almost 16 months old now has left me very little time to do stuff. I should get around to putting up some of what I have done though. Here is a little bit of what I've done. Some of this isn't as up to date as it should be.

Hangarlightingtest_Stoli_001.png

Hangarlightingtest_Stoli_002.png

ringship_039.png

th_TCtestanimation.jpg

H12Nimbusclass_022_crop5.png

H12Nimbusclass_023_crop.png

TinCanProgress_001.png

TinCanProgress_002.png

Originalold_resize.png

AF_001.jpg

AF_002.jpg

workboat2_027.png

workboat2_030.png

workboat2_031.png

workboat2_032.png

workboat2_033.png

workboat2_034.png

workboat2_035.png

workboat2_036.png

workboat2_037.png

workboat2_038.png
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    As always... lookin goood!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • KillaBCKillaBC0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent functional design, looks achievable in real life in about 60 years.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    I like these ideas, very practical.
    Rheinmetall demos laser that can shoot down drones

Lasers...gotta love the lasers. :)
    Here is a bunch more stuff. Nothing finished because, well, when have I ever finished anything?

Entry way:
    smallportalanddock_006.png

smallportalanddock_005.png

smallportalanddock_004.png

smallportalanddock_003.png

smallportalanddock_002.png

smallportalanddock_001.png

Container:
    container3_005.png

container3_007.png

container3_008.png

Ship Gyro:
    ShipGyroscope_002.png

ShipGyroscope_003.png

ShipGyroscope_004.png

Stairs:
    Iliganhouse_000.png

Iliganhouse_001.png

Transformer:
    Transformer_009.jpg

Transformer_010.jpg

Landing gear:
    AlexandriaMrk2LandingGear_007.png

AlexandriaMrk2LandingGear_006.png

AlexandriaMrk2LandingGear_005.png

Landing bay:
    Shipsinport_003.png

Shipsinport_002.png

Shipsinport_001.png

SpacePortAlpha_001.png
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208171 Posts: 0Member
    Brilliant work Cave! I've seen all your stuff so far and believe it so be grade A Sketchup art!

Inquiry: Looking at your models, I notice some of them had Quads and not triangles that SU usually churns out. How'd you manage that? And when you do export to a render program or another, how does the geometry/wireframe mesh look?

As much as I love SU, its love for horrid triangles and geometry is such a stickler.
    Dumb luck! It's the only explanation :) Though sometimes I manually build all the parts and get rid of tri's when possible. But it won't work that way on really organic stuff.

Take a look at the air car and you will see that it is mostly tri's:
    airraftfastenclosedart_004.png

In the only two render engines I have used (Kerk and a beta version of Thea) I haven't had any problems.
    Sketchup, At least in my experience, defaults to quad based geometry. You only see the triangles come out when you deform the geometry in some way.
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208171 Posts: 0Member
    Hmmm...I usually deal with geometric shapes and exporting them to say Maya or even Kerk and I get unnecessary lines and triangles all over. Actually, in my experience, SU triangulates as opposed to "quad"-ing
    So I have only been able to lurk for quite a while due to having a family and a busy social life which I really didn't expect to take up so much time. Most of the people who have looked at this thread know that I like the Original Traveller Universe RPG and absolutely love the ship designs. There is a slight problem though. The deck plans are notoriously bad and will not fit into the ships they are meant for. Back in the day I could understand this as the game came out in the 70's and nobody really had access to good graphics back then. Well times have changed and I wanted to see just how bad one of the all time favourite Traveller ships really was when it came to putting the deck plans into the ships hull...:devil::lol:

Basically what you will see in red is what the interior should be. In blue is what has ended up on the outside of the hull, and green is the hull. There are various views from the top, front, back, sides and from below.

Once I knew how much was going to be outside the hull I doubled the hull size and put the original interior back in. It looks like I will have lots of room to expand and put in a larger JD, MD, PP, weapons, extra vehicles besides the air raft plus better crew quarters and survey lab. More fuel and of course the landing gear.

scoutshiptraveller001.png

scoutshiptraveller002.png

scoutshiptraveller003.png

scoutshiptraveller004.png

scoutshiptraveller005.png

scoutshiptraveller006.png

scoutshiptraveller007.png

scoutshiptraveller008.png

scoutshiptraveller009.png

scoutshiptraveller010.png

scoutshiptraveller011.png

scoutshiptraveller012.png

scoutshiptraveller013.png

scoutshiptraveller014.png

scoutshiptraveller015.png
    Been updating my ring ship.

ringship_040.png

ringship_041.png

ringship_042.png

ringship_043.png
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Hi Keith! Nice giant cyborg eyeball cargo ship you have there...LOL. But seriously, great work on the details...your work is really progressing.
    Thanks Sorceress21 :) I just wish I had the time I used to have to play around with it. FYI, I am just starting to read up on the newest Blender version. 1876 pages worth :) I am desperate to eventually animate things that move!

I made the giant cyborg eyeballs cause the original long form tanks were really just too small. Then I was thinking that not only can the ship use a portion of the fuel for the two year trip out to the Laker station but it can also act like a bulk fuel carrier to supply its destination and still have enough for the two year trip back to home base.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    cool ship, really like this type of hard sci fi structure.
    Thank you Spacefighter :)
    Did a little more updating of my ring ship. I have added a new module for docking other ships to. Each one is 6 meters across so they actually fulfill a larger function than just as docking access tubes. Tons more storage, lab space and other uses could be present.

I have also added a little to the habitat modules too. One thing about the 4 habitat rings is that the odd rings rotate clockwise and the even rings rotate counter clockwise.

ringship_044_resize.png

ringship_045_resize.png

ringship_046_resize.png

ringship_047_resize.png

ringship08Dec2013_clay_001_redone.png

ringship08Dec2013_clay_004_resize.png

ringship08Dec2013_clay_003_redone.png

ringship08Dec2013_clay_002_crop.png

ringship08Dec2013_clay_006_resize.png
    Very cool! Love the lighting.
    Thank you Starrigger :)
    It's lookin great..my only real crit is you might want to cut way back on all the colors. There's a lot goin on there with all the different checkerboard patterns and what not.
    Hey there Sorceress21,

Yep, way too many colours but once I'm done I will be using those colours as just markers for replacement by materials from Kerk. Since I can't UV unwrap this thing that is the way I am doing it :)

Right now it kind of looks like something from the Ringling Bros school of thought! I actually kind of like the plain clay renders too. Might have to find a material that isn't so high tech panelly looking if you know what I mean.

The big round tanks should be done in slightly different tones of the same colour and the current pattern was done because I was tired of looking at the plain tanks. I will keep the checkerboard in the middle but I would like to do something else at the top and bottom of the tanks.
    Get yourself an account at Sketchucation if you don't already have one then download the UVtools plugin. It will make texturing much easier.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice Christmas'y colors. Happy holidays!
    Sorceress21,

Well I do have an account at Sketchucation but I haven't been on in a few months. I usually just go to look at the galleries. I'm not sure what is going to happen with SU anyway now that it has been bought out. :confused: That is one of the reasons I am now reading up on Blender which I might add seems to have vastly improved the way you do things.

Elowan,

Just give me a 3D printer and we can print up some of those fuel tanks for Christmas ornaments! :)
    cavebear wrote: »
    Elowan,

Just give me a 3D printer and we can print up some of those fuel tanks for Christmas ornaments! :)
    lol! using a checkerboard scheme on them is actually a very nice thing to do though some more muted or "uniform"(as in restricting your model to a lower number of colours, i've seen it on a model similar to this before but red and white looks rather cool there). will your starship carry and shuttles or landing pods?

p.s. looking through the stuff earlier on this thread. cool work on those single gun rear turrets on the first ship here. also nice stuff on the hangar bay and that little O'ryan class fighter
    Hi Spacefighter,

The Ring Ship should have shuttle craft for moving people and cargo from ship to station or other ships but not capable of atmospheric entry. Those kind of craft are still very specialized :)

The single gun turrets have been used in a lot of my ships. I don't like to always redesign the wheel. I would love to finally afford to buy a good render program but having a family on one income has sidelined me for the last few years :)

The O'ryan was an experiment where I messed up more often than not. I have learned from it so when I eventually do a new O'ryan fighter I should be presenting something much better.
    to ask what sort of voyages does the "ring ship"(is that the ring on the front or just a whipple shield) do? interplanetary, interstellar?

as for rendering look no further than my signature(last link), some people say blender is hard to learn: they are right, but it's free and very capable. even just using it's basic functions will work wonders for you. best news is i found my skp export method can work without java if you download the .net version.

o'ryan fighter didn't look very messed up to me. i'm not a fan of the wing configuration but it certainly works as a model and the details look pretty good. it reminds me somewhat of the nazi silbervogel spaceplane concept and of modified v1 flying bombs.