Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCavebear Stuff

• cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Working on the Patrol Cruiser's hangar bay now. Here is some ceiling detail.

hangar-001_mod.jpg
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    looking good, I haven't been around in ages, you should post your work on sketchucation also im sure lots of people would like to see it there! Are you using repeated components for the hanger details?
    liam887 wrote: »
    looking good, I haven't been around in ages, you should post your work on sketchucation also im sure lots of people would like to see it there! Are you using repeated components for the hanger details?

Hey there Liam,

It's good to see you around again. I am using repeats in the hangar and every once in a while when I think of a new detail I do a new one and replace the old ones. I haven't been to Sketchucation in a while. One of my problems right now is with horrible rendering times using Kerk. I'm beginning to resent that program to death. Simple renders that should only take seconds to mere minutes is taking hours and I have a really good computer too with tons of ram, processors and graphics capabilities. I guess I'm venting :(
    No worries you need to change over to thea instead of kerk, its the team who made kerk but this new render is amazing head over to the Thea website to check it out, look for me there and I can answer questions etc, i think you can download a demo trial etc, its also a real time render engine!
    I'll go over and take a look right now :)
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Unfortunately....Thea...It ain't free!
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    that's a cool looking design, for some reason it reminds me of those new generation warships of the US navy
    sorceress21, no the full version isn't free but I have downloaded the free version today and have started to go through the video tutorials. Once I do that and read the pdf manual and get a little practice in then I will see if I should shell out for it. Liam seems to be doing some really nice stuff with it now. It will come down to two things: how much I like it and what my finances are like in the new year :o

Berkut, do you mean the new littoral ships the US has been developing?
    Here is a very similar pic as the first hangar pic but done using Kerkythea's setting: PhotonMap - Medium + AA 0.3
    I let it run just to see how long it would take with all those lights. :o

(cached 34280 area lights)
    Final Gathering Statistics and Information
    Max Gathering Depth : 1, Max Tracing Depth : 0
    Gathering Rays : 400, Interpolation Accuracy : 0.25
    Total Gatherings : 31250, Total Interpolations : 1732705
    Total Ray Tests : 2617317231, Intersections found : 1459136385
    Finished in 19 hours, 41 minutes and 25 seconds!
    Saving image D:Google SketchUpfilesPatrol Cruiserhangar-003.jpg ... success

It's the lighting that is the killer. So if Thea Render can help with that...

hangar-003_mod.jpg
    wow thats a long time! looking good tho!
    So I am starting to play around with Thea Render and did a light test on the hangar to see how I liked it so far. Well this was done in a fraction of the time as the almost identical scene in Kerky was done.

hangarthealighttest001_mod.png
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Did you light that scene with self-illuminated materials or spotlights? That's a bit high even for kerk render time. You may have something askew in your settings. I could render that scene in about two hours even with SI materials..
    I did it the old nasty way, with self-illuminated materials because I wanted to see just how long it would take. I'd love to do it without the self-illuminating materials but I don't know how to make the whole panel light up the way I want it to :(

In the Thea render I also used self-illuminating materials and went to fold my laundry. The result was after only 20 minutes. I'm kind of happy with that but I still need to read all the info because right now things are grainy and I want them to be more like Kerk where the end pic is nice and sharp.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    impressive results. Looks like I have to check the thea renderer :) How good is it with "outdoor" renders?
    Stonecold wrote: »
    impressive results. Looks like I have to check the thea renderer :) How good is it with "outdoor" renders?

I have seen some great results but what you see on this thread is as far as I've gone so far. Maybe I'll try my castle mesh and do an outdoor render.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    I`m asking, because kerk` was quite good with lightning from hemispherical sky texture.
    Stonecold wrote: »
    I`m asking, because kerk` was quite good with lightning from hemispherical sky texture.

I never actually used a hemispherical sky texture before.
    Okay, here's some more TheaRender tests:

My Alcyone Corvette that I am making:

AlcyoneCorvette-Thearender_001.png

AlcyoneCorvette-Thearender_002.png

My old Castle walls based on David Macaulay's book "Castle":

CastleWOHordingsThea_001.png

CastleWOHordingsThea_002.png

CastleWOHordingsThea_003.png

CastleWOHordingsThea_004.png

This is from the book "Extreme Worlds" by Francis Tsai. I thought I'd try to make a drawing come into 3d life. I added an extra window compared to his original drawing. I still have to finish off the wall panel line details before it is finished.

FrancisTsai-Thearender_001.png

Here is my old MDS Grendel that I would like to finish one day:

Grendel_Thearender_001.png

Grendel_Thearender_002.png

Grendel_Thearender_003.png

Grendel_Thearender_004.png

Grendel_Thearender_005.png

Grendel_Thearender_006.png
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Cool!!!!
    Well, I've been slowly working away on this project.
    I have some more detail on the Patrol Cruiser's hangar I'd like to show you.

HangarassemblyPatrolCruiserWIP_001.png

hangarWIP001.png

hangarWIP002.png

hangarWIP003.png

I've also added emergency doors for the hangar to be used if the hangar force field fails or during combat or maintenance:

PatrolcruiserDoorsWIP_001.png

PatrolcruiserDoorsWIP_002.png

Sorry they aren't rendered yet :(

And finally here is the current place holder for the hangar:

PatrolCruiserThea_010_mod.png

I'm afraid that I may end up with a really detailed and cool hangar in a ship that isn't up to the standard I'm setting for my hangar :o
    Here is another one for tonight. I made a catwalk, ladder and wall panel.

HangarassemblyPatrolCruiserWIP_002.png
    Okay, here are some renders of the safety ladder, mezzanine and a wall panel.

hangarWIP004.png

hangarWIP005.png

hangarWIP006.png

hangarWIP007.png

hangarWIP008.png

hangarWIP009.png

hangarWIP010.png
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    WOW! :cool: I'm Liking!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Thank you :thumb:
    I have just blocked out the basic shape for a Corvette. This is part of a larger project I have been working on for a while now. I will probably be including the Patrol Cruiser in the project too though originally it wasn't part of it. After rereading my notes on the project, I think I can find a place for it.

CorvettType2_001.png

CorvettType2_002.png

CorvettType2_003.png

CorvettType2_004.png

CorvettType2_005.png

CorvettType2_006.png
    Got some more done on the hangar. This includes rooms behind the glass and all but one panel completed. The last pic I left running over night and the result (in just over 6 hours) is pretty nice. I want to get the full version of Thearender now!

hangarWIP011_mod.png

hangarWIP012_mod.png

hangarWIP013_mod.png

hangarWIP014_mod.png

hangarWIP015_mod.png
    looks so much better now, hope your enjoying thea!
    liam887 wrote: »
    looks so much better now, hope your enjoying thea!

I am! there is only one thing I am working on right now and that is modifying the sun. Not as easy as in Kerk.
    Heh, here is my very first render:

MDSHospitalShip-rightcopy.jpg

Compare that to the hangar I'm doing. What a big difference!
    Thought I'd add a quick shuttle into the hangar to see what it looked like so far.

hangarWIP016_mod.png

hangarWIP017_mod.png