Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DModified Corellian CR90

• stolistoli79 Posts: 130Member
    One sexy looking beast, nothing to say except to hope for some more of this in the future, ah what program do you use ? :)
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    wow - great work! uv mapping must be a pain in the butt :)
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    It's been so long I actually felt I was necroposting!

I'm using Max and Mental Ray with some custom shaders from binaryalchemy.de for this model.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds UV mapping spectaculary unsatisfying! One of my reasons for getting to grips with this method is that UV mapping isn't required. There are no bitmaps used, its all shader based. This also means I can apply the same methods to past and future projects relatively easily :)
    I've tuned the main hull materials a bit more and added in roughness, reflection and bump maps. Here are some renders with an alternative colour scheme....

R149a.jpg
    R149b.jpg
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    heavens to Betsy!! looks awesome! love the dark grey and gold/yellow highlights!
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Very fine job there.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    now u jsut need a squadran of jedi fighters
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Sweet shaders and modelling! I wish there was a decent edge shader in LW and I might have a go at doing that myself! :)
  • kevinskikevinski0 Posts: 0Member
    excuse the question^^, but which programm do you use for modelling and rendering?

btw.: looks absolutly amazing
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    dwl wrote: »
    It's been so long I actually felt I was necroposting!

I'm using Max and Mental Ray with some custom shaders from binaryalchemy.de for this model.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds UV mapping spectaculary unsatisfying! One of my reasons for getting to grips with this method is that UV mapping isn't required. There are no bitmaps used, its all shader based. This also means I can apply the same methods to past and future projects relatively easily :)

^^
    kevinski wrote: »
    excuse the question^^, but which programm do you use for modelling and rendering?

btw.: looks absolutly amazing

sometime reading makes things easier ;)
    Thanks folks,

Tobian: I'm surprised most modelling software don't have it by default, it's very useful.

Chris: Cheers :D

This will be the last batch of test renders I think. I had a go at creating a water damage layer and an fluid-leak effects but they are sensitive to location and I think would be better painted onto baked textures. So for now thats about it with the materials, unless some cool suggestions come in :)

I'll get some ortho's rendered out once I decide which colour scheme to go for.

R151b.jpg
    R151c.jpg
    R151d.jpg
    R151e.jpg
    R151f.jpg
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Simply stunning work!
    Happy New Year to you and your family,thanks for your brilliant posts.
    It took an age but I finally completed all the renders. There's been lots of little tweaks here and there and some changes to instanced geometry that wasn't rendering incorrectly. I don't think any of it will be particularly noticeable though.

The final unoptimised model weighs in at about 2 million polygons and a file size of about 115 MB.

Thanks for the support!

Poster 9.40MB 4000 x 7286
    Poster 41.4MB 8200 x 14900

presentation.2012-01-24.cr90.jpg
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    Fantastic work dwl. :thumb:
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Awesome stuff DWL, love all the little details!
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    I know I have no room to talk about texturing, but it seems like the chipped paint effect around the docking rings are a bit too regular.

That said, this is really a magnificent model. I hope you are aware of the potential pitfalls of releasing this publicly, though I will be the first to admit that I would love to get my hands on it :p.
    I hope you are aware of the potential pitfalls of releasing this publicly

Sort of; I'm trying to focus on the positive aspects of it though. I would really like to see it used rather than just sitting on my hard drive for eternity. I'm going to try to get it out there for a while so it can be traced back to me and not unscrupulously sold on some site somewhere.

My current plan is to collapse all the geometry into an obj with seperate open and closed positions. Because there are no textures it may make it awkward for people to use but who knows, time will tell :D Once all that is done I'll get onto some of the moderators here to see if the uploader is behaving itself. I've had a kind offer for hosting but I want to give SFM the option first.
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Just perfect!!!

Bye
  • GuerrillaGuerrilla795 HelsinkiPosts: 2,867Administrator
    Headered. :)
    Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
    Join our fancy Discord Server!
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    I second what fractalsponge said about the chipped paint, but thatA’s just a minor detail. Other than that - fantastic model!
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Really great stuff, the detail is fantastic!
    Thanks for the feedback gents. Fractal & Tobias, could you further describe the regular pattern. I've been staring at it intently but don't understand quite what you mean.

The weathering is comprised of four layers. An occlusion dirtmap, edge wearing on the plating, worn metallic patches, and the impact dents/streaks which has a UV map projected from the front of the mesh.

Is the problem with one of these layers or all of them together?

dockingring_pattern.jpg
  • Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe it's the way the UVs are projected onto the collar. Did you use a cylindrical unwrap for it?

P.S. I see a red R2-D2.
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    nice work, seriously good.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe it's the way the UVs are projected onto the collar. Did you use a cylindrical unwrap for it?

P.S. I see a red R2-D2.

Come on everyone knows R2-D2 is BLUE not RED. That's R-4! :D
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Did you use a cylindrical unwrap for it? P.S. I see a red R2-D2.

Yea you are correct, theres 6 of them dotted around the ship in glorious low-poly form!

astroparty.jpg

The shaders I'm using don't follow a strict UV map. It's a sort of tiled face-mapping but because there are no bitmaps theres no bluring or artifacts. The streak shader layer follows a projection style map however, which creates that asteroid battered look.

I'm not sure if this will work well or in fact at all. Its a Flash based 3D Ship Spinner Thing. Its fairly large and entirely dependant on dropbox's bandwidth and caps. It's also at 1920x1080 so will consume a fair chunk of memory and graphic perfomance. I'd really appreciate feedback on this as I'd like to make it available to everyone here to use for their own projects.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12167692/scifi-meshes/cr90/3d_spinnerdb.html
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    If you look at your ship, the chipped paint is pretty evenly spread out. Normally chipped paint would only occur in areas where something is hitting the surface - so there would be areas that are more "secure" and have less of that. And even in the area that have the chipped paint effect there should be ideally variations - some places where something big hit it, some areas where a couple of small elements hit it, and so on.

If youA’re applying this randomly and not want to paint it for every surface, then IA’d at least make the texture pattern less evenly spread out. That might do the job quite nicely and not involve a lot of work.
  • XRaiderV1.7XRaiderV1.7226 I have absolutely no ideaPosts: 1,074Member
    nice work man, really nice.
    Thanks Tobian, I may be able to do something with an occlusion mask. The rest will need more thought.
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,399Member
    Where is the Animation from the start side of the forum?

A great model and a fine mesh ...;)