Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThunderbird 2 (re-imagined )

• BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I'm not entirely sure if I like this version of TB4... Something just bugs me about her but I can't put my finger on it... Definetely not liking those big engines on top, though.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    The engines are a throwback to the last incarnation I had. I think they look much better with this additional detail pass I made, now they look a little more like conventional underwater motors. I really want to bring them down to the side but that causes size issues with the pod design.

xFoL9.jpg
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry Armondikov.... but i have to agree with Borgman on TB4.... while i like the actual design, it's not TB4 to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    yeh Imeen thunder-birds was what 1960's 1970's programming, Ive been watching it since i was 3, i still love it today, but ask ANY kid what was there favorite bit in thunder-birds and they will likely say Thunderbird 2 doping Thunderbird 4 off into the sea. The design of Thunderbird 4 is a classic design and because its so simple its VERY difficult to change, if you know what i meen. The BSG viper WAS very much based off Thunderbird 4 i think, because it is just such an effective design. To be quite honest i dont think you should change Thunderbird 4 very much. Keep the general design but make it much more streamlined.

If that makes any sense
    To be quite honest i dont think you should change Thunderbird 4 very much. Keep the general design but make it much more streamlined.

Tried that. It really doesn't work. More specifically, it just ends up looking like a Viper if it's "streamlined", which is really quite a silly thing to try as, despite it's superficial resemblance to Derrick Trotter's van, it's quite a slick craft as it is. However, the main problem with TB4 is that in the original Thunderbirds, it was a glorified pod vehicle - they even say it's just a "scout" craft - and not particularly practical.

Ideally, I'd want TB4 to be worthy of being one of the first 5 Thunderbirds, and therefore self-sufficient. It would also have to be larger in the original and much better equipped. However, that would be difficult without making it a combined flyer/sub so it can go anywhere on its own - and I don't want to make any of these into "military mash up machines", as TV Tropes calls them. TB4 couldn't realistically fly and be a large-scale DSV at the same time.

However, all is not lost with those wanting something closer to the original TB4. I'm thinking of making another one that would be Thunderbird 7 (I already have Thunderbird 8 pencilled in as the TB2 prototype and Thunderbird 6 as a yet undecided vehicle), a smaller submarine with a closer resemblance to TB4 or perhaps Librarian-bot's TB4 (http://librarian-bot.deviantart.com/#/d2vf6te). This is what you'd expect of a smaller, single-seater scout-sub, not a proper badass Thunderbird.
    A quick rehash of TB2 and we get Thunderbird 8! Which I will get around to explaining at some point.

DQG0J.jpg
    This morning, half way between some really messed up half-awake dreams and lying in bed thinking about stuff, I did come up with an idea for a smaller Thunderbird submarine, something closer to the original TB4. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite replicate the design very easily and will need to think about it some more.

In the meantime, however, I did some playing with After Effects to add some engine flares - I might not know the right terminology so couldn't find a good method or tutorial so basically just made it up as I went. The WMV compression at the end of it kind of ate the quality, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXRRQPb2sWc

EDIT It has only just occurred to me (because I am a moron) that the light source from the original Lightwave vid is from the top right, as the shadow suggests. But the sky and lens flare I put in using After Effects is quite clearly coming from the FRONT of the ship. Bugger. In principle I should have removed the ground plane completely so I could comp in a flying backdrop so the lighting wasn't an issue. Also, for the next time I render this through, I'll need to crank the AA up, while you can't see it on that YouTube version due to the compression, it's quite obvious on the larger Quicktime video I did.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i know your trying to stay witht he tridatiional look but i would love to see all these ships in a more modern futuristic sci fi reimaged look
    I'll go stick some nacelles on them, then...
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i said modern scifi not star trek theres a differance
    Okay, a considerably higher quality one. Although I didn't re-render the Lightwave part or alter the skyline so the shadow is still wrong!
    I've been off this for a week or so while I work on a film project, but I grabbed 20 minutes to bash out a quick concept for the Sidewinder. As usual, trying to keep the design of the original while discarding the retarded bits; in this case giving it six legs and better arms. I'm not 100% sure I like it as much so my re-write of Pit of Peril may get shelved.

J1bl9.jpg
  • regemetregemet0 Posts: 0Member
    I would love to see what you make of the Fireflash and Zero X
  • Ze AratlossZe Aratloss171 Posts: 0Member
    wow this is great i havent seen the thunderbirds in ages. great work bud keep it up!
  • Mrwoodchuck61Mrwoodchuck610 Posts: 0Member
    Armondikov wrote: »

No it is not just you :) The cross influences hit me with the New Universe BSG Raptor and TB-4. I'm not a CG artist but it lead me to these remakes of the TB's in a BSG universe.

th_GEDC0098.jpg

th_GEDC0099.jpg

th_GEDC0100.jpg
    I thought I'd put this here as it's a little off-topic for the TB3 thread. Been working on the Mole with some crude textures.

Mole_8.jpg
    Mole_9.jpg
    Mole_10.jpg
    I like it...
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Indeed the front end looks much more realistic.
    I don't know about "realistic", as while modelling it I looked up actual drill heads and tunnel boring machines and they basically look nothing like that. So I just stole the design used in Armageddon instead.
    Wait a sec, turns out they do look like that: http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/a/a9/aa908c90bc3def03140ee2a42cb72141-orig

So what did I put into Google before that came up with just plain drill tips?
    Finally got around to breaking the parts up and animating it.
    I've decided to restart the TB2 mesh. Although I still have a couple of tweaks to go through I think this is both closer to the original and what I originally wanted from it. Still keeping most of the features but trying to improve on them and pay a bit more attention to the state of the mesh itself. Also added in some flight control surfaces.

TB2_reboot_4.jpg

TB2_reboot_5.jpg

TB2_reboot_6.jpg
    Nice. She's certainly more aerodynamic this time. Also I like the idea of the back being open, so that Pods can be driven into place, but also they don't all have to be the same length exactly.
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    TB2 does have more of a cargo plane look about it now, which is good
    I think the wheels make it look even more like a heavy cargo plane. They're currently taken from the old version and don't have hatches on at the moment. Similarly, the tail-piece is taken from the old version as that seemed fit for purpose.

TB2_reboot_10.jpg

TB2_reboot_11.jpg

TB2_reboot_15.jpg
    Very cool. The tail does help add that TB2 trade mark profile.
    Mostly working on details at the moment. Notably a top hatch and some interior to go under it.

TB2_hatch_closed.jpg

TB2_hatch_opened.jpg

TB2_hatch_opened_2.jpg

TB2_hatch_opened_3.jpg

TB2_reboot_16.jpg

TB2_hatch_opened_4.jpg

TB2_reboot_19.jpg

TB2_reboot_20.jpg

TB2_reboot_21.jpg

TB2_reboot_22.jpg
    Looking overly sweet here....the wheeled landing gear is very different... i personally think a set under the nose may be an idea.....
    The first version had the "trike" wheels with one under the nose, but it was so low down it that the nose one was practically invisible. I'll re-post the old one below and you can see how low it was on that one. The size of it made me feel the four wheels would have been a better option and it would also be a nod to the four legs of the original (one of the early concepts featured wheels on the bottom of the legs.). The issue then becomes whether it can manoeuvre on the ground easily enough, as four wheels would give it a large turning circle compared to three unless they could move independently. Though if you're in a spot that can accommodate this monster space probably isn't an issue.

TB2_13.jpg
    I'm guessing that square caged area is a lift which can extend up out of those hatches?

Also am I the only one who can hear the TB theme in their heads while reading this thread?