Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dfirst time modeler "Diamondback" 120mm AA/AM weapon.

sarabandosarabando0 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hello i hope its ok for me to post this here, my name is james im 23 years old and ive just started 3d modeling. i used to level design in Hammer so i am used to brush modeling so bear with me as i learn my way around more complex 3d work.
so here is my first attempt with 3DSmax.
The 120mm "Diamondback" air supperiority/anti munition weapon is the big brother of the ground vehicle based "Viper" cannon which is the single barreled version. The weapon is a quad barreled 120mm cannon with a rate of fire of 450rm and has seen use on both ground,air, and vaccum based vehicles.
mini2.jpg

edit: forgot to add other image.
mini3.jpg

please forgive me if my spelling is terrible and i hope you can help me improve my work.
Post edited by sarabando on
Tagged:

• sarabandosarabando0 Posts: 0Member
    i wasn't happy with how thin the turret looked so i beefed it up abit.
    minigun4.jpg
    mini2-1.jpg
    and here is a close up of the sensor pod and the "sunchild" countermeasure launcher.
    mini3-1.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    It looks cool!
    The texturing looks a bit...colourful...but that could be to due to the lack of better textures, or some other reason I don't know! But you're the person making it, so long as you're happy with it, to heck with my opinion. But yeah, it looks cool and vicious, especially after you beefed it. It looked a bit broken up in the first two pictures.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    The second turret looks much better. The sunchild might look more interesting if instead of a single box between the two supports, it was three boxes in a row with the supports between them. The extra outer boxes could be set to a slight lateral angle to imply the countermeasure fires across a wider field of fire. Also maybe some form of linking cable work going from the boxes to the base would be nice.
  • JanJaapJanJaap0 Posts: 0Member
    The odd I have with this design is scale because instead a very big gun I see a too small ammo sleeve (the green curved bit) maybe it has to do with ratio because a 120 mm projectile* can easily be a meter tall giving a 1:8 ratio and your ammo sleeve has a ratio of 1:2/1:2,5.

So you could change that and see how it looks/feels.

Also this site might be a nice source for inspiration if you haven't found it already.

http://www.rheinmetall-detec.com/index.php?fid=1368&lang=3&pdb=1

And although I assume you already looked these up I still link to them as just in case:

goalkeeper CIWS
    Phalanx CIWS
    Cheers guys yes i looked at the Phalanx system before i started but i knew i wanted somthing alot bigger.
    ive increased the size of the ammo link and added a seperate one for the lower guns. ive re coloured it so its less all over the place.
    mini4.jpg
    Looks a lot more balanced imo.
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    looks like a good start. Is this going to be put on something or a standalone model? Personally I would increase the size of the ammo box. Right now it looks like it would chew through that ammo in less than a minute
    changed the Sunchild and increased the ammo hopper and some more details.
    mini5.jpg
    heres a picture of what its being used for just a quick moch up of a gun deck of a Vaccum based vessel (starship)
    gundeck.jpg

a close up of the autoloader from behind the AA turrets
    gundeck1.jpg

and 12 inches of frakking diplomacy
    12inches.jpg
    I would not want to be on the receiving end of that diplomacy. Plain and simple. PS, what program do you use?
    im using 3ds studio max 9
    Ah. I ask because I use blender, and I can't find meshes and such like the ones you're using. I don't even have access to a triangle! :( Cool turret nonetheless, dude.
    The "Rattler" is a stationary Anti aircraft and anti missles system and one of the few varients of the "Viper" series of turrets to not have a removable magazine as it is usally fed from a subterranian magazine large enough to keep up with its high rate of fire.
    with four tri barreled cannons fill the sky with enough munitions to diswade any air assualts.
    Pumping out 15mm fragmenting airburst munitions at a ROF 60,000 Rpm the weapon earned the nickname "The princess" as its demands for parts and ammunition are high.
    rattler.jpg
    The system is also one of the few "viper" series to not have its own sensor systems and relies heavly on both Radar stations and Recon mechs.
    With that rate of fire you might want it to look like it has some form of active cooling because in space passive cooling won't cut it. Not even when you taking potshots at Pluto ttbomk.

And honestly that ROF is a bit out there as the GAU-8 can only 4200 rpm and that is a Gatling system.

hmm, maybe I can offload an idea of mine unto you which is a salvo tround Gatling gun.
    Some number crushing; I'm certain that you can make a tround with 6 shells in it so with a less out there rof of 5000 rpm you can get 30000 shells on to the target in a minute.
    (Realistically most engagement only last 1 or 2 seconds resulting in "only" 500 to 1000 shell on to the target)

On the other the hand you have metal storm system but other than giving a ROF of 60000 rounds per second it's really boring. :P

I like big guns, can yeh tell?
    its only 5000Rpm perbarrel and yes im working on a heatsink system for it. the whole idea of the weapon is to put a literal wall of bullets between the target and any attacking force
    update time first of the Boa laser cannon the last turret for the moment.
    laser.jpg

lots of cooling apparatus on that one and it has "plugs" on the back for its power use.
    and here is my first ship.
    The Odysseus, a two hundred and twenty metre long light utility and recon vessel and was the first ship built by the NRA (non related alliance of mankind).
    oddy.jpg
    she has a top speed of 38580 mph over twice the speed of the current NASA shuttle (its closest competator)
    built in 2018 after the foundation of the NRA its maiden voyage took place on Novermber 21st 2021 and started her trip to Mars.
    oddy2.jpg

capable of both atmospheric and vaccum travel the Odysseus is a single stage vessel that unlike many other nations space programs does not require a rocket to launch.
    Her engines automaticly switch over to a turbofan system when the ship enters the atmosphere.
    oddy3.jpg
    with a crew of twenty five with full medical and science staff, and the cargo space for around ten months travel supplies.
    oddy4.jpg
    (heres the landing gear its animated up and down.)
    gearanimooted.jpg

The Odysseus later had sister ships built the first being the Pegasus in 2022.

its wip obv guys but let me know what you think or if you want any more infor about the ship or the Black ships universe.
    edit; added a version with a few changes and added weapons.
    ody5.jpg

airlock animation test aswell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9n0XEkY4g
  • LentowskyLentowsky172 Posts: 38Member
    GroxGlitch wrote: »
    It looks cool!
    The texturing looks a bit...colourful...but that could be to due to the lack of better textures, or some other reason I don't know! But you're the person making it, so long as you're happy with it, to heck with my opinion. But yeah, it looks cool and vicious, especially after you beefed it. It looked a bit broken up in the first two pictures.

LOL, actually Grox, those are regular colors Max puts on a standard object.
    if any one knows why the main guns have those green boxes around them id be thankful as i have no idea lol
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Looks like you applied a uv mapping modifier...
  • dreamwalkerdreamwalker179 Posts: 189Member
    From an initial first impression, it all looks pretty good, I'm guessing your using a number of RL references so it seems like most of the proportions for the weapons systems look reasonable (ie, no ridiculously long barrels)..

I do think things are missing some detail, and it would be nice to think of your designs in context of the period and the usages (roles/situations) they will be used within.

Your air lock animation is excellent though I feel a little more thought could have gone into the concept for the Odysseus (the leg's seem way out of proportion, and the external jet engines(?) seem like an after thought.

Either way great first modelling session, please continue!
    update time;
    first up is a close up of the crew airlocks with added details suck as securing rails and panels.
    oddyairlock.jpg

next is a close up of the experimental comms unit.
    oddycomms.jpg

here's a shot of the repositiond cargo airlocks.
    cargoailock.jpg
    and the landing gear that seems too skinnynow :(

shot from behind.
    oddyrear.jpg

front shot as of today with alot of added details
    odyupdt.jpg
    as you can see ive added armour around the engines and added its support struts.
    oddyengin.jpg
    and here's a close up of some added details suck as panels and a cargo crane.
    ody2.jpg

and one last thing a quick mock up of a fighter.
    fightercopy.jpg

C&C welcome please comment anything that comes to mind.
    The thing that comes to my mind is the position of the CIWS is not optimal because it's traverse has a huge engagement blind spot.

The best positioning for any CIWS is at the nose and one at the rear as it give the best coverage.
    i guess CIWS stands for Close in weapon system? if so the AAA are place were they are because the ship was never designed as a "warship" in the Blackships (my project) story the ship only had weapons to begin with to deal with threatening debris and then later for protection.

now heres a few new shots.
    oddycurrent.jpg
    oddycurrentfront.jpg
    oddycurrentwindows.jpg
    oddycurrentbottom.jpg

and a sneak speak at what im working on next you might just be able to see the Oddy in there to give a sense of scale.
    scorp.jpg
    scorp-1.jpg
    heres a better shot of the new ship just called scorpion atm. the Oddy can fit inside on of the 4 docking ports on the "wings" and green lumps are Anti fighter weapons each can engage 4 seperate targets at once. more details to follow if people want them.
    just a quick up date Lancer_by_sarabando.jpg here is a lancer class ship.
  • JamesAprilJamesApril0 Posts: 0Member
    M8 in all seriousness:
    This is great!
    I would be very happy if I could model like you can.
    thanks im still learning and comments like that help with my confidence and drive. :D
    got an update i redesigned the scorpion heres a shot with the lancer to show size there's no detail yet.
    scorp-2.jpg

one of the lancer and the hedgehog.
    fleet.jpg

and something completely different i desided to have ago at a star trek ship. so i brainstormed an idea of what type of ship i wanted to make i knew i didnt want to do one thats already been made, so i came up with the Rogers class ship. it always bothered me that there were families/civilians on starfleet vessels i thought they would just get in the way in emergencys so the rogers class is an Aclimation vessel for civilians who are living on ship to have a basic training/idea of life on a ship.

rogers.jpg
  • JamesAprilJamesApril0 Posts: 0Member
    First of all: Good work on your "free" designs.
    But I can't warm up to that Star Trek Ship. Is there a second warp nacelle underneath that halfdome?
    Where's the bridge? Isn't it awfully risky to have that dome there and not say underneath the main body or above it?
    But those are just my thoughts.