Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalCaprican Marines "Corsair"

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited July 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Inspired by a sketch I saw here years ago , I thought I'd have another go at little known area of the Galactica verse.

('40 years prior to the first Cylon war, the planet Tauron was embroiled in a bitter civil war, with the Caprican Government backing the planet's democratic government. In addition, the Caprican government promised to provide military aid. In those days, deploying fighter aircraft consisted of flying an aircraft carrier into position in a planets orbit, jumping down into the atmosphere, falling like a stone even with the anti-grav up all the way while catapulting all of its fighters into the air in one fell swoop ( a common feature on later Battlestars), and then jumping back into space just seconds from an impending collision with the ground, all while fending of enemy fighters and weapons fire ( a manuever used for one last time during the Battle of New Caprica) . The reason for this was that most fighters of the day were either endo-atmpspheric, such as the ever popular Viper ( namesake of the later series used during the two Cylon wars) or exo-atmospheric, such as the venerable Wasp fighter. This lead to the creation of the Corsair, a fighter for both air and space. Now, not only did carriers have to expose themselves to a great danger, transport ships no longer had to carry as much defensive armament and could hold more people and equipment. Furthermore, the Caprican military now had a ship that could take on Tauron "bombers," which were small ship that skimmed over the planet's atmosphere which were to low for space fighters, but too high to be reached by aircraft. These aircraft were responsible for downing over 50 vehicles during the war. They served as Marine ground attack role during CW1, with the fighter role taken on by the Sphinx, a swing-wing derivative of the Colonial Air Force's Gryphon fighter, and modified Viper mk.I's

The base kit was a 1:48 Revell F-101 Voodoo with additional parts made from a "no parking" sign I bought at Lowes. I tried to evoke the image of an older aircraft by taking cues from Cold War era air and spacecraft, such Space Shuttle-style RCS thrusters and thermal blankets, and the crew is wearing silver flight suits, inspired by those of the Mercury program. The Camo scheme was inspired by one I saw on a USMC CH-53. Anyway, this is what I have for right now, stay tuned.

FILE0322.jpg
FILE0319.jpg
FILE0318.jpg
FILE0321.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

• backsteptbackstept2073 Posts: 926Member
    wow great job :thumb:
    what part did you use the no parking sign for?

couldn't help but notice the tail number is crooked on the right side :shiner:
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,566Member
    Very nice! And yeah... where is the sign part?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I used the sign for the entire tail section, and the interior of the missile bay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    A few Michael Paul Smith/ Sci-Fi Airshow-inspired beauty shots.
    FILE0342.jpg
    FILE0341.jpg
    FILE0340.jpg
    FILE0338.jpg
    FILE0337.jpg