Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTOS Enterprise (again)

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited July 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I started this back in February, my computer decided to die in March, I finally have access to a computer I can use for 3D art again, so I started working on it where I left off.

FrontRender.jpg

PerspectiveRender.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• Lizzy777Lizzy7771259 PNWPosts: 756Member
    It definitely looks like the Enterprise saucer to me! :thumb:
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Very nice close up of the front edge of the saucer!
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    The detail in the close-up is great, but the aztec patern looks a bit off in the overhead image. They don't seem to fall within the deflector grid lines correctly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Got some work done on the secondary hull and neck today. I won't have time to work on it over the weekend much, but I'll pick back up on Monday...

2ndhullrender1.jpg

SaucerBehind.jpg
    Interesting choice raising those L-shaped areas above the impulse deck, and I really like the wider impulse engines. It makes them look much more powerful.
    I kind of wanted to mimic the impulse section on the 2009 movie Enterprise, but not exactly. I always thought the impulse engines were too small on the TOS ship.
    Finished the warp nacelles today, I'm not sure if I'm happy with the paneling yet, but I can fix that easily.

warp+nacelle02.jpg

Warp+Nacelle01.jpg

nacelle+03.jpg

collector.jpg
    Those nacelles look very nice! Good job!
    LOVE the blue glow coming off the interior grilles! It really looks like the warp engines have a lot of power to them. The Bussard Collectors look a bit too hot, though. I think they'll draw too much attention. Depending on how you've built them I suggest turning down the lighting and glow effects a bit. Try to keep the effect contained within the collector so it doesn't look like an overheated engine. Otherwise, things are looking great!
    LOVE the blue glow coming off the interior grilles! It really looks like the warp engines have a lot of power to them. The Bussard Collectors look a bit too hot, though. I think they'll draw too much attention. Depending on how you've built them I suggest turning down the lighting and glow effects a bit. Try to keep the effect contained within the collector so it doesn't look like an overheated engine. Otherwise, things are looking great!

Thanks. The glow from the bussard collectors is just a mental ray glow material with a bitmap in the color slot, I can turn down the saturation some, now that I look at it, it does look a bit hot.
    The texture maps are finished, the lighting is more or less done, I just need to work on some material settings. She looks very "plastic" in full light.

Once I get that fixed, I'll do some high-res beauty renders and a few desktops...

USS+Enterprise+side01.jpg

USS+Enterprise+angle01.jpg

USS+Enterprise+front+1.jpg

USS+Enterprise+back02.jpg
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice! I'm not a great fan of TOS design in general, and don't look into TOS threads often - but I'm glad I did this time!

This is a wonderful presentation, and I love that you chose to put a tiny speck of blue light into the nacelles.
    With all these bright lights she looks very pretty :)
    She looks great! Have you considered adding a soft blue (or even golden) glow behind the deflector?
    TrekMD wrote: »
    She looks great! Have you considered adding a soft blue (or even golden) glow behind the deflector?

Ohhh! That sounds like a good idea. I had been wondering how to get more light around the deflector area without shining a spotlight on it.
    Cool. Glad you find my idea helpful! :)
  • GalenGalen0 Posts: 0Member
    She's a beaut dude! excellent work!
    Very nice indeed. The minor updates work well with the classic TOS design. It is possible for to see a short animation so we can see what she looks like in motion?
    Your glows are looking really nice, they fade off with distance nicely.

So I gotta ask...are you doing them in max or post? :)
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Your model and render looks really really nice.
    Melak wrote: »

Good question!

They were done with the mental ray glow material and a glare lens shader on the camera.
    heh figures. Looking forward to more, and I second that request for an animation :D
    heh figures. Looking forward to more, and I second that request for an animation :D

I plan on doing an animation eventually, I haven't used Max much for animation, so I have a bit of learning to do.
  • PerfectAgent007PerfectAgent007331 Posts: 0Member
    I've come to love and hate Max for animation because of the options available (at least the ones I'm aware of). In my experience path constraints along a spline-based flight path make for the most realistic motion but the constraint controller lacks the ability to modify the tangents on a keyframe, everything's just constant motion. Regular keyframing based on position/rotation/scale works to correct the tangent problem but it's a LOT harder to set up complex animation.
    I've come to love and hate Max for animation because of the options available (at least the ones I'm aware of). In my experience path constraints along a spline-based flight path make for the most realistic motion but the constraint controller lacks the ability to modify the tangents on a keyframe, everything's just constant motion. Regular keyframing based on position/rotation/scale works to correct the tangent problem but it's a LOT harder to set up complex animation.

I'll need blinking lights and, the "blades" you can see behind the bussard collectors are geometry and I'll need them to spin. I figure I can fake movement of the ship by moving the camera.
  • PerfectAgent007PerfectAgent007331 Posts: 0Member
    Moving the camera works too but more often than not I've seen where people try that and it doesn't look as realistic as the ship itself moving simply because of how the perspective changes as opposed to having the object itself change.

Making the spinning blades is fairly easy since it's just simple rotation. Just find out how many turns you'd like to have in, say 30 frames, and then multiply from there for your total animation time. Also keep an eye on the keyframe tangents. 1) Max keeps the tangents on "Start from rest" and "Come to rest" instead of straight up constant motion and 2) If your ship is powering up you'll want to use a manual pull on the first keyframe's tangent to give it a nice long spin-up.

Just my two cents for tonight. Have fun.