Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dstar trek Amberley-class

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
this is my first proper 3d project i've started on, as i've jsut finished my 3d modling unit at university.
the ship is basicly sought out to be a heavy cruiser counterpart to the Ambassador-class, built after it, more in the style of the Worf 359 kitbashes. However i want it to look somewhat origonal, so i'm going to be taking a few liberties with the ship so that it doesnt end up looking like a complete kitbash.
Its being built in 3DS Max 2010. so far, i've had the idea of building each part as a seperate object, eg. the Nacell, secondary section, pylon, saucer, sensor and bridge. I'm fiarly new to 3d modeling, and 3d max even mores so, so if there are any hints for this kind of thing it would be much apreaciated.

the first wip, posted a few days ago on my deviantart account.
amberleywip1.png
By itsomi at 2010-06-09

the second wip, posted yesterday. I've chamfered the nacell and the main pylon, aswell as added a bridge, fiddled with the sensor pod, and added a shuttlebay to the mesh.
amberleywip2.png
By itsomi at 2010-06-09
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    ur pics are broken they arnt workin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    fixed the images in origonal post
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Good to see you on here! Yes, the best way would be to model each major piece as its own object. It looks like the primary and secondary are smooth and round, and the nacelle & strut look blocky in context. Try using a meshsmooth modifier on them, a sort of Galaxy class look to the engine would be pretty cool (flat, wide rectangle)
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    In order to get an image in the forum root, you gotta upload an image to the sfm in your first post, try using a link to a thumbnail from deviant (for upload from url), and just replace it with new renders.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    looks intersting so far.
  • Kmpr´rakKmpr´rak171 Posts: 12Member
    I agree, looking forward for more! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    here is some more progress. I built a new nacell which looks alot better. the only thing is that if i put mesh smooth on it, it also smooths the edges of the warp grill, and the indented ring up the front. Is there a way to use mesh smooth selectively?
    amberleywip3.png
    By itsomi at 2010-06-10
    I've added some basic colour onto the modle, no real textures yet. the main deflector has been fiddled with, and a new bridge installed, aswell as a ventral sensor dome
    [IMG][/img]amberleywip4.png By itsomi at 2010-06-10
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Ummm..interesting. I'd get rid of the singular, ridiculously-huge nacelle and replace it with two New Orleans-style shoulder-mounted torpedo launchers that fire fore + aft simultaneously, and put in horizontally-oriented nacelles + pylons a-la the Constellation-Class and twin pulse phaser ports in the front lip of the saucer. To be original, put the shuttlebays in the sides of the saucer rather than the usual spot in the aft section of the secondary hull.
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    Try seperating the warp grill from the nacelle. that usually gives a distinct outline. then set the grill solid, instead of smooth