Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImperial-Class Star Destroyer in LW8.5

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
I've been working on this for the last couple of weeks just to see if I had the chops to get anywhere on it. Apparently I do, so I'm gonna move forward with it.

It started as a detail study. Fractalsponge's ISD is little short of impressive, but it's just not practical for animation (unless you own a render farm) and the detail lacks some of the physical depth that I want.

Now, after having detailed the entire superstructure, I'm gonna finish off the rest of the top main hull. The brims are going to be a challenge, but the engine section looks to be by far the worst. I'll face that when I come to it. In the meantime....
Post edited by Unknown User on
Tagged:

• ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    This is looking great so far, overState! Really looking forward to seeing her come together! And as you're trying to make her practical for animation, I'll be fascinated to see what your polycount ends up being. :)
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Like I always say, you can never have too many star destroyer models... very cool...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Current polycount is 58,602. This is comprised of 1,697 tris and 56,805 quads.

Starting the brim. Currently I'm using regurgitated bits and pieces from the superstructure, but I might just start making new pieces to keep it from looking homogenous.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    great start ... can't wait for more :)
    Here's more. I've got the brims fleshed out. I ended up using the same basic shapes as in the superstructure, but it doesn't look too bad. Next, I'll either do the lips of the brims or the engines.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Current polycount is 58,602. This is comprised of 1,697 tris and 56,805 quads.

Starting the brim. Currently I'm using regurgitated bits and pieces from the superstructure, but I might just start making new pieces to keep it from looking homogenous.
    That's consistent with the studio model, there are a lot of repeated bit between the upper decks and the midline trench. Looking very good so far, especially for the poly count you're reporting. Very efficient.
    Well, with the brims it is now 75,391 of 1733 tris and 73,658 quads. Still pretty good. I'm also keeping the greeble sections isolated so they can be omitted from renders that don't need them. Thank you, though. :-D
    Got the back of the neck, featuring the more irregular greebles. Whatever I fill the engine section with, it will be more like these.

In some ways I'm trying to recreate the general likeness of the 8' ESB miniature, but I also fill in with a lot of more random stuff. Dragging ass on the thing by now, tho. Must be one of those days.
    Basic engines. Gonna add the thrusters now, and maybe start detailing the lobes that house them.
    And so it begins...
  • BureidoBureido0 Posts: 0Member
    Impressive. Most impressive :)
    Looking great, overState. :) I assume you're going to use textures to fill in details that your not super detailing?
    @ Comco: Thanx; I am going to use textures for the etched hull pattern, but that's later. As far as the greebling goes, it's all about polygons and shaders. The polys do the talking and the shaders react to the light. I hate seeing good greebling ruined by textures...

Meanwhile, I just had to fire them up.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Nice stuff! I think you got the greebling style pretty well nailed. This will be a a really nice mid-poly ISD when you're done.

Some proportion issues that I've noticed:
    1) The slope of the back of the bridge tower shouldn't be so steep. The Essential Guide draws it incorrectly in its orthos, like it screws up in many of its orthos :P In reality, it's closer to 45-50 degrees. Also, it should be longer than it is right now. http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/SWstarDestroyer/StarDestroyer055.jpg
    2) The line where the blocks that the secondary engines rest in intersect with the backplate of the engine area should be parallel to the edge. Right not they look almost horizontal. http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/SWstarDestroyer/StarDestroyer020.jpg
    3) The linear array looks a little big at the moment.

Keep up the good work though :)
    Nice stuff! I think you got the greebling style pretty well nailed. This will be a a really nice mid-poly ISD when you're done.

Some proportion issues that I've noticed:
    1) The slope of the back of the bridge tower shouldn't be so steep. The Essential Guide draws it incorrectly in its orthos, like it screws up in many of its orthos :P In reality, it's closer to 45-50 degrees. Also, it should be longer than it is right now. http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/SWstarDestroyer/StarDestroyer055.jpg
    2) The line where the blocks that the secondary engines rest in intersect with the backplate of the engine area should be parallel to the edge. Right not they look almost horizontal. http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/SWstarDestroyer/StarDestroyer020.jpg
    3) The linear array looks a little big at the moment.

Keep up the good work though :)

Hey there! Glad to hear from you. Thank you for your comments, and I do plan to fix at least the third item. I'm not too worried about proportion for the time being, but I probably will be going back over it some time from now to fix these things. My main goal with this is to cover it with as much greebling as I can, while avoiding getting burnt out on it. A daunting task. to say the least.

Again, thank you for your compliment.

On a side note, I turn 27 today. W00t.
    Random change: Lights.

It's always challenging to do decent lights, whether they're textured or modeled. These are modeled.
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Not bad, but it could use a lot more of them! :p
    Aardwolf wrote: »
    Not bad, but it could use a lot more of them! :p

Not actually. I've been reviewing screengrabs from the films, and the ones I like best seem to show a rather sparse arrangement. The more I work on this ship, the more I get the impression of deliberate excess. It's designed to look overwhelmingly huge, but since most of it's inhabitants would be foot-soldiers rather than operational staff (particularly the kind that need an office with a view) it makes sense that there's not much in the way of visible light emission.

However, I find myself changing both the intensity as well as the level of distribution of the windows for almost every different shot, as not every window I added shines at full brightness. I like having options. :-D

More greeble to the engines now. Not canon, but it fills the void. I'll probably do more. Also, the engine lighting is provided by actual lights, rather than surface self-illumination. The cores of the engine nozzles are basically a chrome-like surface as on the miniature (flashlight style), and they seem more entertaining to look at than a simply blank dark.
    There's nothing like building a starship!
    I love how you actually modeled the halogen downloads from the real model in that last shot, man. She's coming together beautifully. You certainly work fast. :)
    That means alot coming from you, Comco. Thank you!

And yes, it is as exhilarating as it looks. :)
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good for the level of detail you're going to. One suggestion would be to try adding a glow effect for the engines and possibly the windows, that really helped on mine, assuming LW has something similar to what Max has for that.

Since you're keeping it relatively light on the polycount, are you actually going to do animations with it?
    Syklon wrote: »
    Looking good for the level of detail you're going to. One suggestion would be to try adding a glow effect for the engines and possibly the windows, that really helped on mine, assuming LW has something similar to what Max has for that.

Since you're keeping it relatively light on the polycount, are you actually going to do animations with it?

The windows are too small, so I'm going to bevel them all out to about twice the size once I light the brims and the ventral extrusions (that whole bottom half is completely bare right now). Radiosity creates a nice glow effect, since they are 8-point circles slightly offset from the surface they adorn. Like I say though, they're just too small for the effect to be apparent right now.

To your last question, I absolutely plan to do animations with it! I've already got my own TIE fighter, X-wing and Y-wing meshes, I've got a B-Wing in basic shape stage, as well as the refits to make a TIE Interceptor. I plan to do an A-Wing, and maybe a TIE Bomber later on.

I downloaded one of the shuttles from Scifi3D which might modify to utilize UV's rather than the old-fashioned planar-mapped method. I also might do the same with the fairly decent Mon Cal Cruiser they have available there. Sometimes I find it acceptable to use other peoples work, even though I make a whole lot of modifications to the ones I want to use. I might start contacting the original authors to get permission for uploading as I rather enjoy that kind of work.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Don't know how I missed this until now. :) Very nice, it's looking terrific! The SD is one of me favorite SW designs, and it's always nice to see one done well.
    Thank you, stonky. I've finished the brim lights for now. The actual elements themselves have been doubled in size, so they bleed together nicely from a distance. There might be more work to be done on the overall setup, as most of the lighting on the original occurs in rows and groups on the miniature, but that can be done later.

For now, the time has come to start on the lower half of the ship.
    She's coming together beautifully, overState. :cool:
    Personally, I'd say the lights are a little too yellow at the moment but it's really a matter of preference. Thinking of the interior of the ISD that we've seen through the movies, I can't work out why the lights were so yellow on the model. :)
    Just added the dome. The rest has been there since before I started detailing the bridge tower. I'm gonna fill up the empty space with the same kind of tiny blisters that dot the upper half. There's also going to be some others all over which will be larger in size but much flatter. If it looks good here I'll do the same for the upper hull.
    I was hoping I'd be able to do away with textures entirely, but I don't think that's to be now. The blisters don't populate the hull enough and they're not supposed to anyway.

One thing I might do before I go any further is trim back the outer layer of the prow on both sides (top and bottom). It cuts off rather than going to a point the way it is now.
    I'm satisfied for now with the bottom hull. Next up: Hangars. :-D
    Comco wrote: »
    She's coming together beautifully, overState. :cool:
    Personally, I'd say the lights are a little too yellow at the moment but it's really a matter of preference. Thinking of the interior of the ISD that we've seen through the movies, I can't work out why the lights were so yellow on the model. :)

Incandescence. Also, the yellow helps to break the bone-white monotony. When there's a lot of windows in view, I usually end up changing the saturation and hue slightly to work with the lighting. I do plan to enhance the horizontal spread evident on the model and lacking here.

Again, thank you.