Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWh40k - Terminator Armour

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all,

First off, I'm totally new to SFM. I've been looking for a new hangout after the original sci-fi 3d model site I used to frequent got shut down (RIP b5mg!).

I haven't done a lot in CG for a good while so I thought it was time to sit down and get back to it. This goes hand in hand with me starting up wh40k again... one thing lead to another and I've settled on modelling a nice detailed suit of Deathwing Terminator armour.

I've attached a pic of my early WIP - it's a quick test render, not indicative of final quality, however I tend to find I work better when I've getting comments and crits :)

So without futher ado..

termy2.jpg

Please fire away :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

• UK-BladeUK-Blade331 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome to SFM and in particular the 40K club. :)

Nice start on the Terminator, looking forward to seeing some more of these bad boys......

Any particular chapter in mind, or just gonna see how it goes?

Carry on with the good work. :thumb:
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Good to see you made the right choice and went with Deathwing termies. After all, there is only one marineboy Chapter of merit.

Good start, but there's not too much to comment on as yet. There is a an issue with your symmetry seam though. Doesn't look like you have all the vertices zeroed out. Also, there's a bit of segmentation on the raised sections on the top and back of the head - your curves could use a bit more subdivision perhaps.

What 3D app are you using by the way?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hi DCB,

The render was just a quick test, so it's been mirrored but with none of the edges merged. I probably shouldn't have posted such an early WIP (Please let me know if I've breached any rules and I'll remove the thread). However I get motivated by having stuff out on public forums so I stuck it up.
    The vents at the back are only low poly stand-ins whilst I got the proportions sorted, I'll be going back and rebuilding in hi-def ;)
    I'm using Maya.

Cheers.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    YAY another maya user! good to see ya here!

no rules breaking here.. whatever you have in progress ( as long as its not just a square.... i mean.. come on..) oh an turn down the sun and sky.. it blurs out alot of detail.. just rotate the directional light abit (say between 45 and 60 degrees) if you want to still use the sun.. it makes it around 3pm sun instead of noon sun!!
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    No, no - more people should post WIPs from the beginning. It provides a good insight into the different ways people approach modelling. If you are using stand-ins and the like though you might want to mention it. Otherwise you'll get people like me bugging you about it. ;)
  • larundellarundel171 Posts: 0Member
    well being a 40k fan and really new at 3D modeling, and being this is a early start, i like it so far, im going against the flow cos i use blender (or trying to) but i agree with people and that its nice to see the really early shots and then following to see how it turns up.

Oooo...was just thinking, maybe mack him killing a nid or something.

Ps. Love Terminators...think they are awsome

Keep up the work mate and ill be following this one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hey guys,

Here's an update. Cheeks finished and a few lines tweaked.. There are a few smoothing errors that need work but nothing major.
    Happy with the overall look, maybe a bit wide so I'll try tweaking it down a bit.

bo.jpg

Obviously a few placeholders still there ;) I'm going to try and get the head finished tonight so hopefully I'll have these replaced in the next image.

Cheers for the feedback - nice to find some 40k heads here.

LokisSword
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good, mate, looking good. Depending on the desired level of detail, you might want to look at the segmentation of the curvy bits. And I don't know if it's just me, but the helmet looks just a tad wide, just a teeny bit. the eyes seem so far apart.

Anways, any 40K modeling will get a well-meant w0000t! or w00p! w00p! from me! Carry on! :D