Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DTrek Engineering Interior

84253842530 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Main Engineering drawn in Anime Studio 6 as part of an animated fan series I've been working on.

It's basically Voyager's engineering section with the Enterprise E's warp core. I tried to make the wall consoles appear holographic. The shot is much wider but I haven't got the other wall consoles decorated yet. Both walls are separate vector layers so I can expand them as needed for the shot in order to reveal a ladder and/or lift, and the walls still match up nicely with the gradient on the ceiling.

I still need to make some sort of barrier so people don't trip and fall down the warp core shaft. The back wall also needs decorating. I would like to add a ladder, lift, and some crates or something along the back wall.

Could you please offer any comments or thoughts? The quality of my work usually increases tenfold after posting here. :)
81861.jpg
Post edited by 84253 on
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Generally very good.
    However, by how it appears as though the consoles are floating there, held, projected or maintained by nothing. >You should add some kind of frame or projection bar.
    Else I think the struts are a bit too thin (if it's a one-deck-height) or too strethed in the height (if it's a two-deck-height).
  • 84253842530 Posts: 0Member
    I can have a HDTV floating on my wall with no visible cables, so I figure by the 25th century they can hide holoprojectors up at the ceiling by those long black things. Don't ask me to explain where the warp consoles are coming from... ;)

Thanks for the tip about the support beam width. I tried beefing up the existing ones but didn't like how small it made the holes appear and I didn't want to make the beams stick out from the walls further. I kept width in mind when making the fence around the hole in the floor, though. The ceiling is at least three meters high, so in comparison to the width of one's arm they should be pretty solid. They also have much stronger materials in the future!

The rear wall is decorated with some panels and I've added a ladder (with a shadow!) and some random drums of something to balance the scene. I'll give the drums a shadow of their own tonight. I may try a rack of Exocomps in place of the barrels. I'm sure Commander Ravek would want cargo kept in the cargo bay so Main Engineering is nice and tidy.
    81894.jpg
    Cables are something different. Even a cable cannot provide a projection of the data passing through it.
    And so far, every holoprojection-image I've seen had at least one solid bar somewhere.

Wonderful idea about Exocomps!
    I was thinking the side of the cover facing the wall would have an opening to project down onto the wall. Someone at STOwiki suggested putting a small console on the wall beneath the holoconsole to project. This box would also act as a command interface in case the holoprojection subsystem goes offline. I'll experiment with a few things and post an update once I've made enough changes to warrant a new update.

Exocomps are cute. Someone needs to do a "Tribbles vs. Exocomps" episode someday. It might as well be us!
    This is possibly the final version.

I reshaped the support beams so they aren't so easy to trip over. The ladder is darker so it doesn't get lost in the wall. There are fire suppression devices on the back wall in case of emergency. I moved the barrels to the cargo bay where they belong. There is now a shelf where the barrels were, which will store Exocomps whenever I draw them. (Exocomps don't show up until like the ninth episode so I should probably get the medical bay ready first!) There is a physical interface on the back wall which may be used if holograms and voice commands go offline for whatever reason. There are no projection bars in plain sight; after 400 years of holograms we've come up with ways to conceal them. :) That is my excuse and I'm sticking with it!

The Exocomp script also called for a clear Jeffries tube entrance. Instead of drawing another view of engineering, I decided to take the lazy way out and shrink a holoconsole to fit a hatch beneath it. This efficient thinking is why I make the big bucks!
    81968.jpg
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    It looks more like a 25th Century (STO-Era) NX-Class refit starship's engine room with those support bulkheads in the especially narrow corridor and ENT-style holographics on the walls.
    Nice touch with the fire extinguishers...
    Early 25th century (STO era) is spot on! I really liked the brighter colors from the JJ Trek consoles, so I used that film for a lot of the console reference images. I think STO did the same, as my consoles ended up looking exactly like many consoles from my Star Cruiser's bridge.

Here is an engineer in the corridor so you can get a better idea of the scale. (The uniforms are modeled after STO as well.) I don't think the corridor is really all that narrow. Naval vessels I've toured have always felt very cramped!

Thanks for the comment on the fire suppression devices. After seeing how useful they were in STO (sarcasm) I figured we should have a few aboard.
    82052.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvUjjXC2HVg

Here it is in a voice test! I think it looks pretty nice. :D
    Nice work, but to be honest, it doesn't look at all like 'considerable damage' around there.

No teams working on fixing the damage, no damage visible, none of the displays showing critical systems in red....
    :p:p:p:p:p
    The voice test we did for the tactical officer is even better... He is firing phasers while reading Bones' rant about being space sick (from JJ Trek). That is a pretty hilarious combination!
    ^,_,^
    that does indeed sound nice.