Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbattlestar (parts of)

L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hi

for a shot, i'm needing some battlestar parts.
in a 1st time, just the spine with the guns. then, if the shot works well enough, i'll consider building other parts, and even the whols ship (i sweared to never built a battlestar)

old style battlestar, still almost plated.

guns are a reuse of the ones i made last week. already textured and rigged

spine01.jpg
spine02.jpg
spine03.jpg
91707.jpg
Post edited by L2K on

• aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    nice work great detail
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    That plating is killer, those guns look brutal, excellent work!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Wow... Thats superb. You can really feel this model in motion already. The quality is near on perfect with the Series. Amazing!
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    thanks

more details
    i dont know if i should do secondary plating on those big plates...

spine04.jpg
    spine05.jpg
    spine06.jpg
  • Jimi JamesJimi James0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work. The detailing is really crisp, giving it a sense of high detail, without being over burdened with an insane amount of greebles.
    wow brutal my friend
  • alfludalflud0 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding!! Very very realistic in the sense that it all looks as if it could be made with todays tech. Also very realistic modeling, texturing and rendering. Do you take your time doing these L2K? It sure looks like you do and sure looks to be worth it too.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Very nice work... as everyone has said already, great level of detail.

i added a second layer of plates over some plates.
    i'm starting the textures. these are procedural textures. uvw box arround the whole thing, and a mix material based on a few big squares in white, grey 50% and black, activating one or another generic hull texture.

alflud, i do this on and off, while something is awaiting comments or aprobation. i take the time i need, but i wouldnt be faster under a deadline.

spine07.jpg
    spine08.jpg
    spine09.jpg
    spine10.jpg
    feel the scale

i added a second layer of plates over some plates.
    i'm starting the textures. these are procedural textures. uvw box arround the whole thing, and a mix material based on a few big squares in white, grey 50% and black, activating one or another generic hull texture.

alflud, i do this on and off, while something is awaiting comments or aprobation. i take the time i need, but i wouldnt be faster under a deadline.

spine07.jpg
    spine08.jpg
    spine09.jpg
    spine10.jpg
    feel the scale
    Awesome work. The hull plating is excellent - really really good work. Is that Jean Luc Picard taking a break there :D lol - he's defected from TNG - given up his position as captain for a post as a hull-scrubber. Anything to be on BSG :D lol
    wow awesome work there jum you get the great feel for the scale
    Nice shot of the man on the hull. :)
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yup, it looks awesome ! :thumb: I had hard time recreating BSG's unique plating and overall style yet you seem to be going through with it as if it was a simple dogfight with cylon raider ! :D
    thanks guys. glad you like it.
    the man taking a break while moping the hull is the gun operator. theres one in every gun. basicly its my viper pilot model collapsed in pose for memory.
    a few updates. mostly texture and shader tweaks.
    i havent enough stuff in the detailled zones. i'll greeble it up a bit.

somacruz, heres my analysis of bsg plating :
    1 layer of large plates. and a second layer of plates in 60-70% of the coverage. and, but alot less (like 20-30% of the 2nd layer), a 3rd plate layer. all layers must have handles or so to be replaced (man or machine must be able to physicly take them out.) all layers must have sharp angles, (lightly beveled). under the plates, things are protected, so there is pipes, vent, electric boxes, fragile stuff. no details on top of the armor plates. stuff are under not over it. 2nd and 3rd armor layers have a lighter color. color paint is not uniform. it takes lots of paint buckets to paint a battlestar. and as they said in an episode, they cut corners while building it. they took what was in special offer and completed it with what was in stock. paint is eroded. years of interstellar travel...

hope it helps.

now my updates:
    spine12.jpg
    spine13.jpg
    spine14.jpg
    ohhh jojojojojojo wear and tear with rust on the side jajaja great work
    The Colonials do seem to like cutting corners... :D
    they sure do like cuting corners :D. but only if it can be translated in visual feedback. i guess its a bad habit since the millenium falcon

one last update for today before coming back home.
    more details in the naked zones. i diged these ones from an old model. they blend pretty well.

spine15.jpg
    spine16.jpg
    spine17.jpg
    spine18.jpg
    Truly outstanding man. Damn - I wish I could texture half as good as that. That looks fantastic. Is it the spine of the Galactica or some other ship?
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Outstanding!
    You need to built the entire ship! Surelly you have the needed skills my friend!
    thnx :) but i wont do the entire battlestar at this level of detail. i'm about 800+k polies on the spine alone. my octocore is having a bad time :D
    i'm on an animation of the spine. spoiler: bang bang :D.
    meanwhile, heres another spot !

launch tubes !
    and yes, a bunch of vipers will come out of those :D

side01.jpg
    side02.jpg
    update
    side03.jpg
    side04.jpg
  • cravoncravon0 Posts: 0Member
    They are really nice...!
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    This all looks really cool! Can't wait to see the animation!! :D
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    My jaw is on the floor!!!!
    Damn... those launch tubes look sweet...
    long time without updates.
    ive been pretty busy with real world things and work. (and hopefuly a new work)
    so i made my bangbang animation with the turrets. the muzzel flashes still dont satisfy me. i'll redo it again. (6th time)
    i'm also planing another shot : crapy camera on the nose of a viper, looking rearwards to the cockpit. pilot sits down, hangar crew push the viper to the launch tube, seal it, and then the plane takes off.

for now : inside of a launch tube. its not specially accurate (i'd say 75-80%. i dont see the point of getting it more accurate.). its not the big G.

tube01.jpg
    tube02.jpg
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work indeed, sorry in advance if this has been brought up but have you poly belvelled all the corners and edges of thos plates are have you made them into SubD's?
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Whoah nice stuff Leonard ! :thumb: This will be one wicked battlestar once finished. Oh and I checked your new reel, it's absolutely outstanding !
    hey :)
    thanks guys

its all box modeling with hand bevels. but its really quick to do.
    i never liked the sudD. max doesnt like them eighter.