Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbattlestar (parts of)

• L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    a small update. i sticked the tube into a wall in my hangar deck.
    for x reasons, my maps all disapeared. so heres a clay.
    tube03.jpg
  • mladen225mladen225171 Posts: 0Member
    This battlestar will be very small, less then 1000 meters I think.
    By the looks of the spine of the ship I would say that the landing strips will have a continous connection to it, unlike others (3 connection on the Pegasus or 2 on the Galactica, witch are also flexible so that the landing deck can retract in and out).
    woosh !

almost a year !
    i've been pretty busy IRL.

well guys, this is in fact a battlebay.
    its a part of a military space station, but can undock and operate on its own, for tactics and strategy.
    it houses 2 squads (or is it squadron ? what's the bigger ?) one for each sides. each squad has separate hangar and launch tubes.
    a squad would be composed of 15 vipers and 15 reserve vipers. with its accessories (fast packs, armor pack and elint pack)
    so in the belly of this ugly monster, theres about 60 vipers. plus a bunch of raptors, maybe 10-15.
    it's pretty old, and has straped on the cheap way pieces of newer technology
    it has 12 big gun turrets, and numerous point defense flakk (still to do)

the big shapes on her butt are huge doors and airlocks when docked to the station.
    the big block above the rear airlocks is going to trash. i dont like it.

battlebay01.jpg
    battlebay02.jpg
    battlebay03.jpg
    battlebay04.jpg
    battlebay05.jpg
    battlebay06.jpg
    battlebay07.jpg
    battlebay08.jpg
  • zxcottonxzzxcottonxz0 Posts: 0Member
    awesome work dude, looks really detailed, how many polys is it up to now? and any tips you could offer for plating and texturing in max? im going to start modelling a stargate themed ship soon.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    wow great work here like this monster a lot jejeje
    a few tips ?

nothing works better than modeled armor plates.

armor plates look better when a bit above the hull, and they need big screws (or attachment method)

spaces between armor plates look better when greebled. remember to not greeble places that wont be visible. (its a waste of ressources to greeble UNDER a hull plate.

armor plate themselves dont look so good when greebled. better to keep them flat, or to stick an other plate layer on them

there are shaders to round the edges of sharp angles, so you dont need to hand round them, and thus spare a bunch of polies. at least for mental ray and vray. but only works for small objects. big objects need to be hand rounded.

and dont do unnecessary work. i dont see the point of unwraping the whole ship just to make a generic metal material. i go half procedural. meaning cube UVs, and various tilable textures inbricated in some blend materials.
    the guns are unwraped and hand painted, as they have delicacies and paint job.

so far, i'm at 1.2 M polies. i think it will be arround 1.5 -1.8 M polies when finished (still have to do the interior)
  • mladen225mladen225171 Posts: 0Member
    WOW!
    I really didn't saw that coming. :)
    here's a bit of the landing strips. and i redid the ass. now the airlock doors are visible. are they are pretty huge.

theres also a kind of tower with a few antenaes. looks a bit like a marketplace or something.

battlebay09.jpg
    battlebay10.jpg
    battlebay11.jpg
    battlebay12.jpg
    battlebay13.jpg
    1.6 million.

here's some shots shaded and lighted.
    windows interiors are still missing., as well as a bunch of details here and there, but its nearly finished.

battlebay14.jpg
    battlebay15.jpg
    battlebay16.jpg
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    thats great work there wanna see more needs a little bit of more lighting
    here's more :)

now there are some little people in there to show the scale.
    people in the con tower and the top market place are very low poly 3d people (like 80-90 tri), while the ones behond the hangar window and the aft wall are planes with opacity.

the blurry effect on the windows is on purpose. it helps to smooth the low poly edges of the 3d people, and i kind of like the effect so i replicated it on the other windows as well.

interior has more details and more lights.

battlebay18.jpg
    battlebay19.jpg
    battlebay20.jpg
    battlebay21.jpg
    battlebay22.jpg
    battlebay23.jpg
  • rms8_347rms8_347333 Posts: 48Member
    HOLY MUTHA!

This looks remarkable to say the least!
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work here, L2K. You've captured the realistic materials really well.
  • Randy TjangRandy Tjang0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice. It seems to me that the 3d text is a bit out of place/doesn't see right.
  • morranspacemorranspace0 Posts: 0Member
    This is huge :o

well done :thumb:
    what's wrong with the text ?
    floating ? ugly font ?

the ship isnt that huge. its a bit smaller than a galactica flight pod, and a bit wider (2 strips instead of 1)
  • fluxfirefluxfire181 Posts: 604Member
    L2K wrote: »
    what's wrong with the text ?
    floating ? ugly font ?

I think he means the fact that the text would be painted on not sticking out like that.... There really wouldn't be any point to have 3d text on a battle ship makes far more sense to have it painted on instead. Great work on this model like the details and the scale you have going on.
    looks nicer when light can catch the angles and cast a shadow.
    galactica and pegasus have it that way too.
    well, after check, maybe less pronounced :
    battlestar.galactica.razor.unrated.extended.2007.dvdrip.xvid-wat.avi_000569819.jpg

this can be extremely cheap aluminium foil welded together. doesnt have to be expensive armored laser precicion cut plates.
    extruded name plates are a key feature of bsg. at least to my eyes...
    i'll have it shortened tonight, to see how it looks
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    All looks pretty cool to me.
  • gusdorfgusdorf175 Posts: 51Member
    Outstanding work! Enjoy seeing something a bit different.
    :) thanx

I trimmed the text. is it better now ?
    battlebay24.jpg
    battlebay25.jpg
    This is masive:o

Like specialy the lighting:)

well done this is a master pice (I havend seen better)

It looks like it is real, like its out there right now.

great:thumb:
    :)

a little bit of detailing on the belly, between the fuel tanks.
    now, there are pylons with lights, so those stupid viper pilots cant crash in there saying : I didnt see it !

i dont know if i'm going to self illuminate the whole bay like the pegasus. i think i'll go on easy, and keep it where it's practicaly a necessity

battlebay26.jpg
    battlebay27.jpg
    :D masive !!
    update. mostly self illumination.
    she is almost finished. i'll maybe add a kind of landing pad here and there, with a few airlocks, but at this distance, you wont tell the difference.

i'll start the rest of the station tomorrow.
    it will be triangular, with a battlebay on each corner, and a central tower ragnar style, only smaller.
    and 3 docking arms to acomodate frigates by the sides, or a full scale battlestar by the tip of the nose.

battlebay28.jpg
    battlebay29.jpg
    battlebay30.jpg
    battlebay31.jpg
    this is incredeble

It is.......... just great
    it looks like a real ship

those turrets are great

Like as specialy the landing bay

C YA
    does it not take ages to render?
    morranspace, render is surprisingly light. at 800*440, 2-5 minutes, depending the angle. and like 8minutes inside the landing bay.
    when my computer will want to die, is when i'll animate everything up. soon enough :D

meanwhile, here's something new.

the station the battlebay belongs to.

a top mushroom, 3 separable battlebays, a core structure, probably holding machinery, 2 docking facilities, 2 storage sections ragnar style, and a complete communication and sensor array.

i dont plan to detail it as much as the bay. wont do lots of close up on that.
    the mushroom will get some armor, but the rest will be naked.
    and no guns nor flak.

battlestation01.jpg
    battlestation02.jpg
    battlestation03.jpg
    battlestation04.jpg
    battlestation05.jpg
    battlestation06.jpg
    It look good already...
    update.
    a few more storage, a few more plates, a few more access tubes, and a few more airlocks. a think a few more little details, and i'll call it done. i'm already 380k polies.
    i cant wait to blow it up

station10.jpg
    station11.jpg
    station12.jpg
    station13.jpg
    station14.jpg