Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBlender - tough starts

Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hello there,
on monday I decided to start learning in Blender... I watched some videos and some pages with tutorials and started making my first model in blender. As almost everyone here can say, starts are tough and make simple wood screw took me 3 hours and it even has no screw thread :D this is my second model (first, that I can name "model"). Finally I found how to make exact proportions :D
here it is :D :D

COMPLETED WORK:
Colonial Viper Mk.II
viper57_complete.jpg
Babylon 5 universe station
T42.jpg
Colossus class tank: Piecemaker Mk II
pmmk237.jpg
WIP:
SSV Normandy SR-2 papercraft
SR-2_3.jpg
84739.jpg
Post edited by Dr.Sleep on
Tagged:

• meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    Very nice,Blender brother.MAybe you should render from another angle.Select all vertices,press w and select st smooth and it will look bether.:thumb:
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Also, use something else for your background besides the default blue. The settings are in the world tab, where the ambient occlusion settings are too. Play around with those to lighten up the shadows, it also helps bring out the details.

As for the model. it's looking nice. I assume that those things on the sides are engines.
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Hi,

Just stick with it. It will come together. For me it didn't happen until I started my B5 Station.

-Brian
  • Fre'dniFre'dni0 Posts: 0Member
    All the above advice will help greatly. Learning to modify the basic primitives through extrusion, scaling,in certain axis will help to build sections for any model. And beyond anything, learn the mirror modifier, it will save you tons of time. Woot for Blender!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Congrates on becoming a Blenderhead!

Looks like your off to a good start. I found most of the text tut's are out of date. Though You Tube has a lot in the most recent version of Blender.

Also a good learning guide is Blender for Dummies. It has everything you need and written for the most recent version. (Not the Beta version as everything has been moved around in that.) Even if you know most of the stuff in the book, it is also a good ref guide.
  • Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks a lot for stimulation, IA’m considering to start modeling Viper Mk2, because I have paper model at home (last time when I was 14 and modeled in Anim8or I used paper model as reference too... but ItA’s 6 years now :D ) IA’m still watching video tutorials and reading books about blender. There is a big package of things that I still need to learn. But I have strong will and as it was said in pokemon: IA’m gonna be the best! :D :D :D :D :D :D
    IA’m still not good at rendering lights and making camera look on right spot, so here is screenshot:
    81048.jpg
    Ok It's good.But when you are in side view press r(rotate) 90 degrees.Now as it looks it's vertical.
    To look much better.With the rendering lights here is a tip.When in object mode select the light,lamp,then go to shading pannel,the ball and then select lamp,sun hemi and then render.You can play with this.You should try the 3 point lights.
    Alright, I have one more tip for you. It looks like you're using a 2.49 or older version of blender. If you select the edges you want to bevel and hit w in edit mode, you can bevel just those edges.
    are there any "add light" buttons? I tried to duplicate default light, but it had no effect...
    I decided to listen to BrianSzep and start meking something, that means to me instead of models without future... here is render:
    viper4-1.jpg
    viper6-1.jpg
    please, can anybody tell me, how to pose "left click cursor" to default position?
  • Shift-C will center the cursor to the center of the grid (0,0,0). You can also manage the cursor from the Object--->Snap menu...that is if that is what you meant when you asked "how to pose "left click cursor" to default position?"
    Select a light and hit shift+d to duplicate it. To add a light to the scene hit the spacebar while in object mode, then select add > light > then the type of light (sun, spot, point, etc.)
    Thanks a lot to both of you, advices were very helpful.
    progress on top engine...
    viper8-1.jpg
    and please, can anyone tell me, why it makes this "ugly" shapes on render?
    viper9.jpg
  • borybory0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, welcome to Blender3D family... :D YouA’re done great job yet. When I started with Blender, I was able, half of a year or so, create only cube or maybe sphere, ... :D
    Dr.Sleep wrote: »
    and please, can anyone tell me, why it makes this "ugly" shapes on render?

What I see, itA’s because hull is created from cylinder, extruded and flattened on one side. Cylinder is made from a nice flat rectangular faces, when one side of cylinder is flattened, faces canA’t maintain its flat surface. Blender, doing this so add "virtual" diagonal edges, and breaking face into two triangles. It creates this efect on render, because triangels does not have the same normal and reflect light on diferent angles. You can rid of it, if you set "smooth" on object.

One little note under line. Though looks easier use on objects like this, cylinder, I think better is not to do this way, because it can bring other problems. I use cylinders, only if thing I make, remain cylindric. ;)
    thanks, that helped i little... I must play with this function for a while to "master" it, now it just messes with body... :D
    bory: Hello Czech brother :D
    I made some smooth and added top wing. Please add C&C:
    viper13.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Damn you and your blender skills...
    Im quickly thinking it may be better than 3Ds!!

Looks good mate!! One thing i would say. try and get some indentation on the cockpit to make it stand out more
    looking good. Much better than I could do.
    Or simply select all vertices,press w and then set smooth.
    PadraigBalch: IA’ll try.
    meugen06: that could help me, thanks.
    new renders:
    viper14.jpg
    viper15.jpg
    and added one render of weapons:
    viper16.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    VERY nice Viper! I really admire you for plugging away at this... I have Blender, and have tried to understand how to use it, but for some reason, my mind cannot grasp it.
    Thanks, I was telling myself for two years, but it just need that one simple push to start and heavy load of patience... mind can be fed with everything :D
    here is render of completed low-poly viper MK.II:
    viper17.jpg
    IA’ll try to modify it to look more smooth, but so far I think my firs real work is done :D
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    Firstly Welcome to being a Blenderhead,

secondly on to your model and settings, to make it look more smooth while in 'object' mode

hit f9, on the bottom of your screen there is a tab that says 'links and materials'. Hit the 'set smooth' button

then on the next tab to the right in the same screen called 'Mesh' there is a autosmooth button, click that.

that should make your entire mesh smooth, and the auto smooth will make sure flat surfaces look flat and round looks round...and will get rid of that 'ugly' face looking thing that you stated...

also for lighting try this method (it works extremely well good...)

1) go to object mode and delete ALL your lights, for good measure while in object mode hit shift-c
    2) in object mode, hit space bar and add a hemi light, under the lamp selection (it will it will be placed where ever your 3d cursor is). If you did the entire first step above skip to step 5.
    3) if its not where you want it, hit 'n', a small popup will appear on your 3d screen. in there under LocX LocY and LocZ is where your hemi is at, place it where ever you want.
    4) it also has this straight line coming from the hemi. hemi is litterally like a umbrella lamp and works extremely well and works to make light in all directions the same intensity, meaning you wont get funny shiny spots where you dont want them (great for clay renders like yours)
    5) i usually put it near my camera so its not in the way and make that line from the hemi light point towards your object by using the rotation 'r' in the front/left/top (keyboard shortcut, num pad-7,3,1) view settings so that you can line it up (takes about 5 seconds...)
    6) Go to your shading settings by hitting, f5. Once there click the world button.
    7) There should be a tab labled 'Amb Occ', select it. And of course select the ambient occlusion button in that tab. Now a whole list of settings pop up.
    8) under samples select 8. Max Dist set to 1 or 2. And the button labled 'both' select that.
    9) Under the world tab in the same area your at, click the standard blue and make it a very dark grey almost black...

this will get you from this...to this...
    81318.jpg81319.jpg
    I love you man!!! :D
    finally "normal" render here:
    RENDERPORADNYKONECNE.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Thats amazing! i think im using the wrong programme here hah!
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    awww now that render looks much much better, if it was me that helped then sweet :). I look forward to seeing more if you plan to detail it more
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The Viper has come along very nicely.
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Looking good. See if you stay with it you'll get the help and figure it out.

Brian