Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBlender - tough starts

• Dr.SleepDr.Sleep0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, I must say, that render really looks cool, but I did not expect so nice comments :D In real, I can see what "set smooth" button did to viper in work window :D :D I was looking at it again today, I think IA’ll add RCS thrusters too...
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Great progress you are making... please continue! :)
    IA’m asking for help here. IA’m trying to make holes for RCS thrusters into hull through extrude, but it never has circle shape. can you please tell me how to do circle from square? Is there some way to make cylinder and then cut him to ideal shape, or any other way?
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    In edit mode with the cube press space-mesh-circle,and then a pannel will appear and press fill the circle.After rotate the circle and addded it ot the face of the cube.Select the circle and then extrude./
    a added filled circle in edit mode and placed it nearby face, extruded, but it does not make hole...

when i extrude it:
    problem.jpg
    and when I try to extrude back:
    problem2.jpg
  • borybory0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey
    IA’m asking for help here. IA’m trying to make holes for RCS thrusters into hull through extrude, but it never has circle shape. can you please tell me how to do circle from square? Is there some way to make cylinder and then cut him to ideal shape, or any other way?

I think, that collegue meugen had in mind something like this...

Basic shape for demonstration, how to make a hole in not standart orientation...
    68432178.jpg

Select face where should be teh hole, and change orientation on "normal"
    magicalsnap201005181156.png

Change view, on top (in new orientation) "shift+v" + "top"
    magicalsnap201005181158.png

Move cursor on face... "shift+s" + "cursor selection"
    magicalsnap201005181159.png

Then u can delete face, add circle, and add some cuts ("ctrl+r"), so u will have something like this...
    magicalsnap201005181201.png
    Then select circle and vertexes aroud and press "f" + last menu item, now try both choice of next menu and u will see wich one give u better reslult...
    magicalsnap201005181202.png
    Then, fill the hole "shift+f" and extrude...

or u can use boolean tools... (your mesh is a simple enough, so u will not have problems with it)

make two objects(on circle hole - cylinder, 8-12 verticles should be enough)
    magicalsnap201005181206.png
    Place it anywhere u need...

In object mode selest first mesh where should be a hole, and then cylinder.(with "shift" so u will have selected both objects. Then press "w" and select "diference"
    magicalsnap201005181207.png

Then if u delete original objects, u will have mesh with the hole...
    magicalsnap201005181208.png

comparison
    magicalsnap201005181209.png

I think for your case, second way is better...
    wooohooo! Thanks, IA’ll try it :D
    ItA’s working! :D IA’m squeaking like a 8 years old girl with new barbie doll :D :D
    viper21.jpg
    front thrusters done :D
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looking good!!
    Here is new render with more details added... So far I discovered many useful informations about blender, like: NEVER! And I mean it, never click on apply button in mirror settings. Or: Never join meshes into groups...
    viper25.jpg

And here follows questions:
    Is there any way to unjoin meshes?
    If not, how can I add model I made (*.blend) into existing model?

Edit:
    changed shape of engines (to look more viper mk.2) and adding colors :D
    viper26.jpg
  • zubruuzubruu0 Posts: 0Member
    To unjoin meshes click: P and you have options to seperate. Adding model i think you shuold use shift+F1

P.S Nice model:)
    Thanks for advice. I have nice hours yesterday with separation of wings, engines and cabin before I found tutorial how to change mat. of individual faces :D unfortunately Shift+F1 did not work (or at least did not work how I imagined it to do). Here is another progress render with done painting of red label... now I must change material to be less shiny.
    viper28.jpg
    Better and better. In my opinion the pilot cabin is way too small;)
    Yes, I tried to compare with blueprint I found and you are right... IA’ll try to modify it :D
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    with the exception of the cockpit, this is looking great.
  • Forcemaster2000Forcemaster2000331 Posts: 0Member
    To add an object from 1 blend file to another one, you do use "shift+F1". This is called "appending". The most important thing to remember when appending is that the object you want to append has to be given a unique name so that you can easily find it. When you create a new object in blender, it is automatically given a name based on the type of object that you started with. (i.e. plane.001, cube.005, cylinder.056 etc...) Make sure that you change the object name for what you want to append to something unique that will be easy to find, like fuselage, left wing, right wing, engine 01, etc...

Once you've started a new blend file that you want to move a pre-made object into from another file, hit Shift+F1, one of your open blender windows will change to a file window. navigate to the blend file that you want to append from and click on "object". If you've navigated to the right blend file, you should find all the objects listed that are in that blend file. This is why naming is important. It's hard to find what you're looking for if everything has the default names that blender gives them. Once you click on the object you want (ex...fuselage) click the "load library" button and your object will appear in your new blend file.

Hope this helps! :D
    Forcemaster2000: I tried, but blender insert nothing.I was looking everywhere... even behind fridge, nothing changes. But I donA’t need it now and IA’ll try again when IA’ll need it. :D
    new render with changed cockpit and shortened nose:
    viper30.jpg
    I made some progress again... now with side engines...
    viper33.jpg
    close look
    and
    viper34.jpg
    whole look...
    C&C welcome
    And next progress:
    viper35.jpg
    viper36.jpg
    I tries to remodel main thrusters, but can anyone tells me how to copy objects around point (edge)?
  • borybory0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, good progress so far. May I ask you, why you think that, never apply mirror or never join meshes in to groups is useful?

And about copying objects around something... For it is in "mesh tools" tab bunch of buttons. And itA’s working around 3D cursor.
    spin1.png

Firs button, "spin" extrude object into circle with center in 3D cursor. It you set 360 in "degr" options youA’ll get full circle, 180 hlaf circle... etc. ... "steps" option specifies how many edges will have the circle. Set 3 and youA’ll get triangle... etc. ...
    spin2.png
    Point of view determined top side of circle...
    spin3.png

Second button "spin dup" copies the objects around cursor. "degr"works the same as in previous case and "steps" specifies number of copies...
    spin4.png
    spin5.png
    After this two functions you may want apply "rem duble" because last copied object obscures the original...

Per last button "screw" you can create such as spring or screw-thread. Here you can use last option "turns". It determined number of threads. This function requires a line, that specifies the height of the thread, that must be a selected to when you use function.
    spin6.png
    spin7.png
    Hey, good progress so far. May I ask you, why you think that, never apply mirror or never join meshes in to groups is useful?
    "never apply mirror" advice means, that when you apply mirror and you want to change anything on one side, since then you must change same thing on "mirror" side manually.
    "never join into groups" advice means, that my viper was on start made from about 20 parts and I was too lazy to click on every part so I joined every part together. Then there was problem, when I was trying to edit simple piece from whole model...

thanks for explaining me some blender functions, man. I really appreciate it.
    here are some new renders, I upgraded engine thrusters to look more and more detailed, I started to make inner part of cockpit.
    viper41.jpg
    viper42.jpg
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Looking really nice...

Brian
    thanks.
    Here are some new renders, I started making cockpit...
    viper44.jpg
    viper45.jpg
    viper49.jpg
    and inside hull:
    viper50.jpg
    Nice, great work keep going:)
    Last "big" details on hull and inside cockpit completed and landing gear modeled... Gentlemen? I think, that my first blender model is completed.
    viper56.jpg
    viper57_complete.jpg
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks really good there Dr.Sleep:thumb:
    thaks Ice-Dragon.

I have here first render of my next model:
    t1.jpg
    I donA’t know what itA’s going to be yet, but I was inspired by B5 style... After show with humans obtained minbari artificial gravity gizmo so it have no needs to spin :D
  • anthscoanthsco349 Raleigh, NCPosts: 71Member
    Dr.Sleep wrote: »
    Last "big" details on hull and inside cockpit completed and landing gear modeled... Gentlemen? I think, that my first blender model is completed.
    viper56.jpg
    viper57_complete.jpg
    Excellent work!
    Are you going to release this to the public?
    anthsco wrote: »
    Excellent work!
    Are you going to release this to the public?
    How do you mean that? To give it into "downloads"?

New renders:
    added spinning parts o station for aliens with other gravity needs :D
    t3.jpg
    upgrade:
    render with starfury docks:
    t7.jpg
    and here whole station:
    t10.jpg
    and I downloaded some parts from "downloads" section so I want to thank Ozylot and Aceman for making them... IA’m not sure if I put them in, but they are very helpful anyway