Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDeath Star Turbo Laser

Breech BlockBreech Block0 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all. First ever post on this forum. Gotta say mighty impressed by the work on display here. Just a humble trueSpace user myself but hoping one day to get modo. Anyways, I'm making a model of a Death Star Turbo Laser Tower and thought it would be a good way to start over here at SFM. As with any future posts, C&C are most welcome.
80002.jpg
80003.jpg
Post edited by Breech Block on
Tagged:

• PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Well you're off to a good start as far as I can see. :-)
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome to the forum,a really nice render,well done,thanks for posting.
  • Breech BlockBreech Block0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

This latest image shows how the model is progressing. It's been quite time cosuming to date as I don't have any blueprints and figuring out the scale/dimensions from just reference photos has been quite tricky. But I think most of the hard work is behind me now and I can just concentrate on getting the detailing right.
    80124.jpg
  • harry33harry33343 Posts: 0Member
    Very good work for a start here!I see,someone treasures the old Star Wars Movies too!!!!You are welcome!
  • SebastianPSebastianP171 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice! Now, I'm only wondering one thing - will you continue and do the rest of the death star as well? :-)

Cheers,

SP
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    SebastianP wrote: »
    Very nice! Now, I'm only wondering one thing - will you continue and do the rest of the death star as well? :-)

Cheers, SP
    Hehe, don't make him run from this forum right away :D

Hey Breech Block, welcome to the forum!
    Great work so far, heat the laser and shoot some rebels ;)
    Thanks for the kind words all.
    harry33 wrote: »
    ...I see someone treasures the old Star Wars Movies too!!!!

I guess anyone who saw the original film back in 1977, as I did, and witnessed the impact it had at that moment in time is not going to be overawed by any of the prequels. :D
    SebastionP wrote: »
    ...I'm only wondering one thing - will you continue and do the rest of the death star as well?

Yeah, if only. :lol: However, now you have mentioned it, I might just do a small portion of the trench as a kind of diorama thing.
    Chanur wrote: »
    ...Great work so far, heat the laser and shoot some rebels.

Guess that means I'm gonna have to do an X-Wing next in order for this thing to have a decent target.

Anyhows, here is the latest update.
    80252.jpg
  • GlazyGlazy333 Posts: 0Member
    I'd say about 20 guns. Some on the surface, some on the tower.

Very nice work, alsways loved these gun towers !!!!
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Very impressive,the force is strong in this one!
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Well, at long last, the modelling phase of this particular item has drawn to a close. Next up is creating some custom UV and texture maps. I'm hoping these will add a whole new level of detail as the model's looking kinda sparse in places.
    80672.jpg
  • JimCraftonJimCrafton224 Posts: 45Member
    Very cool indeed! I actually based parts of some of the weapons for my current model off of this. If you have access to ZBrush or Mudbox it would be interesting to see someone use those to add some really ridiculous amounts of details using displacement.
    Thanks Jim. And yes, that would be really cool indeed.

Here is another small update. Mainly the barrels to do now and a bit more work on the door/hatch you can see. Not too sure if I really want to "weather" the whole thing down or not.
    80834.jpg
    Finished at long last. Always did hate the texture part as it is definately not one my strong points.
    Time to move on to making an X-Wing now methinks and see if I can put the two together in a short animation.
    82712.jpg
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    Nice work, keep it going
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    While I recognize this is blueprint and canon accurate ... does anyone else notice the Form vs. Function problem with the gearing? At it stands, the mantles on the guns can't clear the top corners of the gun turret ... which means that this putative anti-aircraft and anti-ship gun cannot recess much higher than it's already aimed. :)

Still, GREAT work on this piece! Love it!! I can just hear that booming-echo of its firing now!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    this is an awesome turbo laser! (i dont think its possible for anyone to like the prequels....)
    and Welcome to SFM!