Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DEastern Alliance Destroyer - Schematics

137th Gebirg137th Gebirg332 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Just a little taste of what's coming...
79578.jpg
79783.jpg
Post edited by 137th Gebirg on
Tagged:

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    yes!!!
  • 137th Gebirg137th Gebirg332 Posts: 0Member
    So...what're you tryin' to say?

:D
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    NICE! I have always liked this little shippy...
    So...what're you tryin' to say?

:D

Very little and to the point.

Which was?
    Finally!!! WooHoo!! Will there be port views and what-not????
  • RonPadaRonPada0 Posts: 0Member
    I might be wrong, but it seems to me there is a little bit of interest in seeing this ship made! :cool: Looking forward to seeing more!
    Arnie100 wrote: »
    Finally!!! WooHoo!! Will there be port views and what-not????

Oh, yes. The top view is actually done, the port-side view is about 50% (trying to reconcile the dimensions from photographs is a bitch!) and I'll also be doing a starboard elevation (there are slight differences in detailing - not symmetrical), fore, aft and underside. Full six-view, just like my TOS Big-G from a couple years back.
    RonPada wrote:
    I might be wrong, but it seems to me there is a little bit of interest in seeing this ship made!

I am starting to get that impression, yes... :)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Any interiors on the horizon? I always thought that merzo.net had the TOS Galactica too small. Frankly, for this destroyer to land in one of the bays would tend to skew TOS Galactica up a bit. I guess you could say that only the forward command section--that looks like a tiny manta ship on its own--was what landed. Then too, I seem to remember in the original art that Galactica might have a large robotic arm underslung beneath each landing bay entrance--like the DEXTR robot on ISS.
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Oh, yes. The top view is actually done, the port-side view is about 50% (trying to reconcile the dimensions from photographs is a bitch!) and I'll also be doing a starboard elevation (there are slight differences in detailing - not symmetrical), fore, aft and underside. Full six-view, just like my TOS Big-G from a couple years back.

I am starting to get that impression, yes... :)

its a pretty cool ship, iirc the miniature used a lot of f15 fuselages from some old kit. I think there's 3 sets of intakes and nacelles so that reference might help to work out the proportions
    publiusr wrote: »
    Any interiors on the horizon? I always thought that merzo.net had the TOS Galactica too small. Frankly, for this destroyer to land in one of the bays would tend to skew TOS Galactica up a bit. I guess you could say that only the forward command section--that looks like a tiny manta ship on its own--was what landed. Then too, I seem to remember in the original art that Galactica might have a large robotic arm underslung beneath each landing bay entrance--like the DEXTR robot on ISS.

I have always thought that the nose of the Destroyer was the escape vehicle.

As to the size of the Galactica we already know it.:( The size of the Viper launch tubes revels this.

The real question for us, is exactly what were the capabilities of the Destroyer? What was intended for it to be?
    Updates?
    I remember watching the episodes with the Eastern Alliance destroyer. It is indeed small enough to fit within the Galactica landing bay. I am now trying to find screen shots of it within the Galactica landing bay during the episode "Baltar's Escape." Also looking at the crew size, based on the number of people we see in the vessel, I'd say maybe 6-12 crew. With such a small ship and crew, I'd have to say the EA Destroyer could be comparable to a heavy bomber. Serving in the fighter/bomber role enforcing the policies of the EA, but large enough to act independently and small enough to be economical. I could be wrong and doubt the crew size will ever be made "official."
    publiusr wrote: »

Probably not going to work on interiors - as you alluded to, there is a big disconnect between the filming miniature and what was shown as an interior on-screen. They clearly tried to "approximate" the reconciliation between inside and out, but there are too many spatial inconsistencies to make it work, unfortunately.

I had often thought about the issues of the Destroyer hanging out in the Big-G's landing bay. Yes it did fit, but I don't think they could have effectively landed and then turned it around to allow them to take off later on in "Baltar's Escape". The Destroyer is simply too long to make the turn effectively. The control arm in the McQuarrie conceptual artwork that you mentioned would be a good solution to this problem, yes. :)
    Coolhand wrote: »
    its a pretty cool ship, iirc the miniature used a lot of f15 fuselages from some old kit. I think there's 3 sets of intakes and nacelles so that reference might help to work out the proportions

I believe it also uses some MIG-25 Foxbat parts as well. There's also a piece from the Airfix Space: 1999 Hawk Fighter model kit hidden in plain sight towards the front.
    Nick R. wrote: »
    Updates?

I guess I could throw y'all another bigger bone... :cool:

How's this?

Update: So, question: how does one change the main thread thumbnail to something different, like this one?
    79783.jpg
    ea2.jpg 111.6K
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    you've certainly done your research, the underside of the F15 is quite apparent in your drawing just as it is on the model. you should maybe point these areas out on the plans as it adds more interest i think, and makes it a better reference for modellers. looks great anyhoo;)
    The update date is a good start.

The other two intake set ups remind of the the intakes for the B-1 bomber.

As to the insides of her, my take is that the crew spent most of its time in suspened animation. To get out to their patrol volume, and then return.

Which minimzes the need for supplies.

But in regards to patroling, the engines would be at idle, with using just enough fuel to power the sensors, both active and passive. But the real question is how fast is she? We know that she could get up to "starspeed" what ever that is, but that is about it.
    Heh... "Star Speed and Battle Ready!" Yeah, I suspect that was the EA's equivalent of light speed or some other FTL option. Like with the Galactica, though, it didn't seem to be a velocity that was achieved lightly. The pilot repeated the order as a question as if it was something that was hardly done. Cdr. Cain also said something to the effect of "I might even be able to get her up to light speed" during the battle of Gamoray. If FTL speeds were so dangerous/unheard of, one wonders how they ever got out of the Cyrannus System!
    They got out?

Maybe that was why they had so much trouble finding Earth.....
    A though just occurred to me.

The Mongolian Hordes used swarm tactics to overwlem their enemies. And unless you were undertheir control, you were an enemy.

How about this for the EA their number of destroys was set up in a like maner?
    ^^^ Absolutely - in fact, there is on-screen dialogue from Colonel Leiter to support this.

IIRC, in "Baltar's Escape", he complimented Adama on the size of the Galactica as an admirable ship of war, but he said that, as it is alone, "the Eastern Alliance will dispatch it like the wolf pack does the bear", implying that they would have enough Destroyers at their disposal to swarm Galactica and overpower her AAA guns, Vipers notwithstanding.

Incidentally, it was also an interesting hint to the viewer about the relative proximity to their destination when Leiter mentioned bears and wolves and Adama responded that he was not familiar with those animals.
    Could be the Colonials used terms like ursae or lupae instead of bears and wolves. But the pack mentality does seem to be the standing practice of the EA. Soviets did that in WWII, they made and deployed thousands of tanks inferior to the top of the line German tanks and sent waves of them to overwhelm them. US and British did that too. The North Koreans and Chinese did the same with their troops in the 1950s in Korea, sent waves of troops against the UN forces with the first wave having the rifles and the subsequent waves picking up the rifles of those fallen from the first wave.
    Guys, I'm going to have to put this project on temporary hiatus for a little while. Things are getting weird where I work and I'm going to have to redirect my efforts for possible new employment. I will come back to this, but I need to get some other affairs in order first. Sorry for the tease, but I promise I will return. Thanks all again for the kind words.
    Good luck! I hope all works out for you, and I look forward to your return.
  • gray_deathgray_death0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. I honestly never saw, or heard of, it before. Looks like early klingon to me. overall, a rather interesting vessel. I too look forward to some orthographic views or 3D modeling.
    No, it is Battlestar Galactica the original series.

One of the few gems from the show.

I have a question for others here. How fast was the Luner Shuttle Avalon versus the Destroyer?

Or more to the point, what were the capabilites of the EA Destroyer as opposed to all other Terran ships?
  • gray_deathgray_death0 Posts: 0Member
    Nick R. wrote: »
    No, it is Battlestar Galactica the original series.

One of the few gems from the show.

Ah. I see, says the blind man. Many thanks for the info. I still wish I had managed to see more of that series. and that the remake was half as cool as the original.:thumb:

Musta been the green paintjob and long "neck" that threw me off.
    Battlestar Galactica is available on Hulu.
  • nyrathnyrath0 Posts: 0Member
    Here are some reference photos.
    http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=13924

Be safe Gebirg. We wait patiently for your return to this project.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Incidentally, it was also an interesting hint to the viewer about the relative proximity to their destination when Leiter mentioned bears and wolves and Adama responded that he was not familiar with those animals.

Well, you could always say that that Terra was the other Earth found destroyed on the new BSG (100, 000 years ago), and that it was rebuilt to where the orginal series found yet another warlike society, no Cylons this time--just a Cold War with these destroyers.

Then too--look at the front end. If that was the cabin shown on screen Galactica might still have to be far larger. ( I could be wrong) But suppose it is a detachable UAV. It almost seems to have that cylon eyestrip ahead of it. That means the mid-cyllinder section is the crew compartment, resulting in a more modest sized craft. The nose is thus an automated endo/exoatmospheric weapon--a UCAV all it own--pointing towards an eventual return to the cylons.

This would keep the destroyers size down--or you can keep it larger and say it just went straight down Galactica's arm bay and out the back.
    Well that is the problem, we only saw it from the inside, but the expectation is that it is the cabin. But I think you are right, it is detatchable, as a life boat....