Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Retroprise

cuyacuya174 Posts: 55Member
edited June 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Its been a while since i last posted anything, but i have finally found some inspiration. Have decided to do retro version of a star trek ship, not sure which yet.

By Retro i do no t mean TOS or anything like that but rather like a 1950s Cadillac, with fishtails and lots of chrome.

Please see below of my attempt at the nacelle and Pylon arm. i did this in hot rod red and silver.

Please come with ideas and criticisms
79435.png
79436.png
79437.png
Post edited by cuya on
Tagged:

• stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, thats a great idea !
    Hope to see the ship complete soon !
    Cheers, Stephan
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Cool idea, nice start to it too! I've actually seen something along these lines over here: http://mattwileyart.com/design28.html
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    That is a good start! It will be interesting to see what the ship as a whole will look like... :thumb:
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Ace work! Can't wait to see how this develops!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Severus wrote: »
    Cool idea, nice start to it too! I've actually seen something along these lines over here: http://mattwileyart.com/design28.html

Found you in my referral logs! There is a larger view at my DeviantArt page, http://mattwileyart.deviantart.com/art/Constitution-Luxury-Class-BIG-150635527

Good luck on your model!
    My brother is working on a playable version of my ship for Star Trek Bridge Commander. So that'll be fun.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I love the concept. I once tried to make a paper airplane version of the enterprise. Two long thin paper airplanes for the nacelles--a wider one for the primary hull, and the secondary hull I made out of cardboard sturdy to support the three other paper airplanes.

Flew even--not far though...
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    This is a great idea. Kirk wouldn't even need to change his hair.
  • BEMEUPBEMEUP171 Va BeachPosts: 0Member
    Great start Lee, I'm really digging the style!
    From the initial renders, this should be on sweet ride...
  • cuyacuya174 Posts: 55Member
    BEMEUP wrote: »
    Great start Lee, I'm really digging the style!
    From the initial renders, this should be on sweet ride...

Lee????
    Anyway thanks for the great support, really excited about his one, hopefully will finish it too.
    Severus & mattwileyart thanks for the links exactly what i was thinking, loved what you did with the cockpit.
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    cuya wrote: »
    Lee????
    Anyway thanks for the great support, really excited about his one, hopefully will finish it too.
    Severus & mattwileyart thanks for the links exactly what i was thinking, loved what you did with the cockpit.

Looks good, Bemeup probably was a bit confused because I sent him the link to your project. I did a 2d drawing along time ago of the Retroprise as a joke on his boards. Keep up the good work this should be sweet.
    Darn jet lag, sorry cuya / Lee80... I'll pay better attention next time.:)
    Anyway, looking forward to more to the next update 'cause I love this stuff!
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet idea! Can't wait to see how this develops.

I had an idea for the saucer: you know how the Excelsior has a sort of "shelf" where the impulse engines stick out and the bridge sits on top of it? Maybe you could do something like that, but make the impulse engines look like the back of a big 50's car:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4562/4341/23904670409_large.jpg
    http://designyoutrust.com/wp-content/uploads4/ChryslerTurbine.JPG

Just throwing it out there. Either way, a great start, and I'm looking forwars to your next update.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    That is a totally cool concept Daddy-o! I like the use of the modern warp nacelles but '50-ized! I can see Kirk, Spock & McCoy with pompadors, Leather jackets, & switchblade combs in their back pockets! Uhura & Chapel would have big beehive hairdo's & poodle skirts! Can hardly wait for the finished product! Can you dig it man!?!
  • japmejapme12 Posts: 0Member
    Definitely go with the 2nd idea that CARLG had...
  • dwldwl0 Posts: 0Member
    Fonz-Spock, Bones Kildare and Elvis Kirk would be impressed!
    Thanks for all the support and ideas. I have done a Excelsior type impulse engine shelf test, based on a 1959 impala, not sure i like it, or at least needs more work. Think i may stick to a constitution class ship. anyway let me know what you guys think.

And by the way i would be very happy if others wanted to take a stab at this genre too.
    79532.png79533.png79534.jpg
  • gray_deathgray_death0 Posts: 0Member
    excelent inspiration. I can't wait to see the final render. I think you have hit on something that every trekkie, including myself, has always wanted to see and never yet managed to make. Great work, Cuya. Keep it up.
    Another test on the impulse engines, using the look of the front grill of a car., crits and ideas are very welcome.
    79537.png
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    I am definitely OK with this thread. :p
    *thumbs up*
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I think I like the Impala tail lights. How does it look if you shorten 'em up and make 'em flush (or almost flush) with the saucer?
    I have noticed that i keep losing track and time by not having a clear paln on direction so please find attached a schematic i have drawn. it is no way a final version but a starting point. Please come with sugestions to make it better. you will notice there are 2, the top has the nacelles lower, maiking it more streamlined, but i believe that breaks the rules of where buzzards are meant to be in relation to the saucer.

@ Walkyrje - as i was only doing a test i did not save back copies, and the thought of fixing it feels like a nightmare, but i will take a satab at it again a little bit later.
    79563.jpg
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Dig the schematic.
    That's a very good direction for the overall design.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    That does look great!
  • rojrenrojren2293 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,968Member
    I remember as a kid, that red and chrome color scheme was everywhere. i still have a fondness for it, but I never would have imagine it looking that good on the Enterprise.

The only things I'd suggest is more chrome on the nacelles, and a hood ornament for the saucer.
  • trekkitrekki935 Posts: 1,392Member
    coooooool man,the design is great.
    wait for more infos and pictures.
    which program you are work?
    trekki
    trekki wrote: »
    coooooool man,the design is great.
    wait for more infos and pictures.
    which program you are work?
    trekki

I am using cinema 4d, and i promis more to come.

I agree needs more chrome and details, all in good time
    Here are some more pics, getting stuck in some places, but trying to figure it out
    79570.png79571.png79572.png
  • backsteptbackstept2003 Posts: 916Member
    I'm lovin' the Chevy inspired paint job :thumb:
    I wonder if you can pick your style of starship in the future, because I'm really liking this look!
    You've done a great job imagineering this design.