Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe HMSS Invincible

JimCraftonJimCrafton224 Posts: 45Member
edited April 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Well I swung by today and was informed that if I didn't post soon I'd be cast into oblivion, so I thought I'd throw up some of my current progress on a high-poly ship I'm currently modeling using Houdini.

First steps:

progress1.jpg

Panel detail layout:
progress4.jpg

Starting the engines:
progress5.jpg

ship-shots2.jpg

More body work:
ship-shots3.jpg

ship-shots4.jpg

Initial details on the tower:
hmss-invincible-clay1.jpg

more engine work:
hmss-invincible-clay2.jpg

hmss-invincible-clay3.jpg

hmss-invincible-clay6.jpg

hmss-invincible-clay7.jpg

First pass at the BFG:
infinity-gun1.jpg

Filling in the inner deck:
hmsinvincible-shots22.jpg

Detailing the deck panels and one of the top deck gun platforms
hmss-invincible-clay-shot1.jpg

More engine work:
hmss-invincible-clay-shot3.jpg

Fins at the back:
hmss-invincible-clay-shot5.jpg

hmss-invincible-clay-shot8.jpg

hmss-invincible-clay-shot11.jpg

Prototype of the fighter that may make it into the final scene/animation:
test-fighter2-clay2.jpg

test-fighter2-clay3.jpg

hmss-invincible-clay-shot13.jpg

Gun platforms:
hmss-invincible-clay-shot18.jpg

hmss-invincible-clay-shot19.jpg

Side guns:
hmss-invincible-clay-shot20.jpg

hmss-invincible-clay-shot25.jpg

BFG remodeled:
hmss-invincible-clay-details2.jpg

Power cables redone:
hmss-invincible-clay-details8.jpg

hmss-invincible-clay-details9.jpg

More front details:
hmss-invincible-clay-details7.jpg

Finally for your amusement, some short videos showing the weapons systems going "hot":
[video=vimeo;9483416]

[video=vimeo;9480238]

Well that's sort of where it stands at the moment. I'd love to hear any C&C from folks!
Post edited by JimCrafton on
Tagged:

• Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    This is an awesome build, but what is it from ?
  • cuscutiscuscutis171 Posts: 0Member
    It looks somewhat similar to the Earth cruise from The Fifth Element, but it's not. Really nice design.
  • JimCraftonJimCrafton224 Posts: 45Member
    Thanks! Yep, it's vaguely inspired by the Fifth Element's ship, but I didn't use references. I just had a general image/outline in my head that I wanted to try and model. I've been winging the whole thing, which I have learned the hard way is a little difficult to do. Fun, but not necessarily the most efficient way to model :)
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    The panels & the overall level of detail are really good keep to post!!!

Bye
  • CZWCZW0 Posts: 0Member
    woo nice ...
  • indianna500indianna5003 Posts: 0Member
    Loving the details, is it easy to do panels in Houdini?, Maya is a bit ofa pain to do them on complex curves.
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    :thumb: This is sweet!...
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    wow, that's a really cool ship! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    what are the spec for this class of ship.
  • muffimanmuffiman0 Posts: 0Member
    cuscutis wrote: »
    It looks somewhat similar to the Earth cruise from The Fifth Element, but it's not. Really nice design.

That's exactly the same what came to my mind when seeing this great work for the first time.
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Wow,this is really good work,well done and thanks for posting.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    wow this is great work here
    Thanks guys!
    Loving the details, is it easy to do panels in Houdini?, Maya is a bit ofa pain to do them on complex curves.

It is once you get a handle on the techniques to use. Once you set things up, then it becomes relatively easy to to just plug in arbitrary panel sections and they get mapped to the polygons you've selected. This is one of the things that's really cool about Houdini.
    Some further updates:

Details on the command tower (more antennae), and the hull defense shield generator
    hmss-invincible-clay-shot-finals-4.jpg

Details on the ship undersides, including paneling details
    hmss-invincible-clay-shot-finals-5.jpg

hmss-invincible-clay-shot-finals-6.jpg

Bussard collector
    hmss-invincible-clay-shot-finals-7.jpg

Hopefully a few more tweaks this evening, and then that pretty much wraps up modeling this thing and then on to texturing it. It's at a tad over 1 million polys.
  • JBJHJMJBJHJM0 Posts: 0Member
    Love it, but I ain't sure if those "cross-cannons" are really useful? As you can only target one unit per time with one turret three of for guns would be useless^^
    You're referring to the 4 sets of 4 tubes on the front corners of the last image, right? Those are intended to be missile launchers :) Or something like that launches out of the 4 tubes.
  • Robert HarrisonRobert Harrison1 Posts: 16Member
    Very nice ship design... The 'round' guns look a little like the Star Wars Ion Cannons... You look like you pulled lots of details from lots of places and then thrown it together in a wonderful bastard child... Great work!!!
    Yep, those would indeed be modeled after the famed Ion cannon on Hoth! The missile launcher is based on a real world one (I can't recall the name of it), most of the rest is stuff I came up with after looking around at different weapons references or just winging. The BFG was inspired by the front weapon of a Star Blazers ship (not the Yamato).
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    I think it's awesome how you were able to make such an interesting design starting from such a simple hullform.

Whenever I try to do something like this I always get bogged down somewhere along the way...
    Aardwolf - thanks, you had a good design going in your thread, you just have to flesh it out.

At this point I'm basically calling it quits on the model, now it's time to uv/texture it.
    Here's a video of turntable of it I did last night.
    [video=vimeo;9853608]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    it looks like SG had sex with SAAB lol but I like it
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    This thing is rather impressive! Normally I find asymmetric hull plating to be attractive ... but odd from a "form follows function" sort of way.

One question / issue I have with the design, though, is the placement of the BFG. Right now, as you've placed it, it's got a LOT of hull to blaze over. Unless the beam is REALLY tightly contained there's bound to be some spill-over onto the hull. And, lets face it, apart from the odd Hard-SF, what energy weapon in Sci-Fi is that tightly contained? I mean, if they were, we couldn't SEE them, could we? :D

That said, she's yer beastie! But, I imagine the guys in charge of cleaning / repainting the hull are going to spend most of their time in the thin strip from BFG to snout! :p
    Well obviously the hull is protected by a multi-state EM field that prevents the kind of damage you're worrying over! As for the asymmetric plating, each one has a special purpose. I could tell you what they are, but, well, I'm sure you know the rest...
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    JimCrafton wrote: »
    Well obviously the hull is protected by a multi-state EM field that prevents the kind of damage you're worrying over! As for the asymmetric plating, each one has a special purpose. I could tell you what they are, but, well, I'm sure you know the rest...

But, of course! Silly me! :thumb:

Keep up the fine work. This thing is beautiful in its simplicity.
    Couple of updates after doing a bit of texture work this weekend. This is the outer hull, defense shield generator, and command tower. Just started the command tower, but the hull is pretty much done. Any C&C on the look of the textures would be really appreciated.

hmss-invincible-tex-test24.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-test28.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-test29.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-test30.jpg
    Couple more texture updates. Added some color and further refinements to the hull texture and command tower. Some red striping and (these might be hard to see in the shots) nav lights running along the starboard and port sides.

hmss-invincible-tex-test35.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-testII20.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-testII18.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-testII19.jpg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This is one intresting looking ship.
    OK, time to finish this beast up. This is basically it for the textures. Next step is tweaking the lighting and then prepping for animation.

I'd love to hear any critiques about lighting or textures with these current shots.

Starting on the undersides of the hull:

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI1.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI6.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI9.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI10.jpg

Different angle:

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI13.jpg

Close ups of the main guns:

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI14.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI15.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI16.jpg

Back side view:

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI4.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI19.jpg

Close up of side guns
    hmss-invincible-tex-testVI20.jpg

Engines:
    hmss-invincible-tex-testVI22.jpg

hmss-invincible-tex-testVI24.jpg

3/4 view
    hmss-invincible-tex-testVI26.jpg
    A couple of shots using Houdini's compositor. Any C&C would be most welcome!

hmss-invincible-comp2.jpg

hmss-invincible-comp3.jpg