Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSSV Normandy SR2

• tonygardnertonygardner339 Posts: 15Member
    I'm so pleased to see somebody doing this ship, I just finished a play through of the game and thought this ship a worthy successor to the SR1.

It looks like you're doing her justice, well done.
  • Kains LegacyKains Legacy0 Posts: 0Member
    Dude that's awesome so far:thumb:, can't wait to see more.
  • Dr-TimelordDr-Timelord0 Posts: 0Member
    Thats a pretty cool build so far.

I love the SR2, but kinda prefer the hull colour scheme for the SR1, not big on the yellows lol
  • matt/mathiasmatt/mathias0 Posts: 0Member
    okay here is another little update
    SSV_Normandy_SR2_08.jpg
  • vividevolutionvividevolution171 CA. USAPosts: 26Member
    Damn she looks VICIOUS!!
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    okay here is another little update
    SSV_Normandy_SR2_08.jpg

Nice, how the hell did you get that image to pop up like that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Love your work so far. I am seeing a few minor differences, the forward fin behind the front windows is absent

fin1.jpg
    fin2.jpg

Though, the shape and colour seems to vary a little from scene to scene. There is also another indent that looks like a scoop on the wing engines, back from the hinge.

wing_panel.jpg

I can see you've put some detail into the tips of the rear fins, in all the images I have, they appear smooth, do you have some reference material that shows this detailing?

Finally, does it seem to anyone else like the body panelling below the windows is the armoured panels that is supposed to slide over the windows during combat (or whatever EDI says in the observation room)? The windows always seem to be visible in the game (even during combat), but I'm wondering if that was the original intent.
    I have tried to make the hull look like the movie where the Normandy is being revealed, so I have changed the hull color, reflection and bump, a few times now, and I have changed the size, and the camera angle. That’s why it looks like the shape is different, if that what you are talking about?
    I know the tips are smooth, but that is because they can’t use that much detail with a texture and low poly model, and if it is smooth, it will be boring, so I am putting on some of my own details. :)
    I’m sorry but your pictures aren’t loading correctly, I would like to see them if you can make that possible??
    Big storm, nasty power outage. As soon as the power is restored, the server with the images will be back.

:) I was talking about the shape/colour/apparent position of the fin thing behind the front windows. Which would be apparent.... except the images aren't there.
  • DreekaDreeka0 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing work!

Can you please take a shot from the back and side views?

Also, anyone know the size of the ship?

Thanks! :D
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Looks really awesome!
    Nice work :)

One thing though, are all the black panels in the front the cockpit windows? they look...wel huge :/
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work matt/mathias. Coming along nicely so far.

I would disagree with your comment about the rear fins being smooth because of the restrictions of low poly game models. I don't actually think there is any use of the in-game model where you can actually see the tails (except maybe in Jack's pickup mission). All the cutscenes where you can see them clearly are pre-rendered CG which use high poly models, so there would be no limitations there.
    Dreeka wrote: »
    anyone know the size of the ship?
    I don't think there are any official dimensions, beyond the Codex saying that the SR2 is roughly twice the size and mass of the SR1.
    Looks good.

Never played the game so no comment about accuracy. I like the "interior" behind the windows and the color scheme. And i am also wonder what those big black panels are :)
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    Dreeka wrote: »
    Also, anyone know the size of the ship?

I used a spec sheet to get roughly 150 meters for the SR1, and using the window on the front compared to how they appear on the inside, as well as that scene near the end... (you know what I mean if you've finished it), I'd guess that the SR2 is no more than 250 long.
  • DreekaDreeka0 Posts: 0Member
    Melak wrote: »
    Looks really awesome!
    One thing though, are all the black panels in the front the cockpit windows? they look...wel huge :/

Well, i think they are windows. If you go to the cockpit in the game, you can close/open them :P.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    they are windows, it's the small windows all along the side that are too small I think
    MWelter wrote: »
    And i am also wonder what those big black panels are
    They are windows. Here's a shot from inside the cockpit:

me2cockpitinterior.th.jpg

They obviously made them black to save having to model any interior detail as you couldn't get away with emmisive textures simulating light like they did for the small windows - they are just too big. You could probably argue from a fluff standpoint that they appear black from the outside due to radiation shielding or some such.
    IRML wrote: »
    it's the small windows all along the side that are too small I think
    I think the side windows are probably about the right size, the problem is that they don't really match the numbers you can see from the interior. There are only two places you can see small windows; Miranda's office on the crew deck and the starboard cargo area on the engineering deck:

me2smallwindows01.th.jpg me2smallwindows02.th.jpg

The thing that really doesn't make much sense is the very large window in the starboard observation room (and presumably the port-side one too) on the crew deck:

me2starboardobservation.th.jpg

There's nothing like that visible from the outside. Still, just like with Star Wars ships, there are a number of interior/exterior discrepancies in both the SR1 and SR2 (the escape pod size and positions on the SR1 being one glaring one). Best probably not to focus on such things, lest you go mad.

EDIT: Wow, the lameness of VB4 continues. Can't use linked thumbnails apparently.

EDIT2: OK, apparently thumbnails work properly now. Let's see....
    Yes, the space scenes are pre rendered, but it is with the game engine, because it takes more of the CPU power to calculate the scenes, but they are low poly model with a really good texture on it, and the background (Omega, The Citadel or Ilium) are just pictures(the stations newer turn).
    And as you can see in these images, the tips of the fins are blank.

mass_effect_2_images_norrmandy_01.jpg

mass_effect_2_images_norrmandy_02.jpg

And the ship is unreal. The exterior and interior doesnA’t match
  • tonygardnertonygardner339 Posts: 15Member
    Did anybody else notice that Shepard has a window on the ceiling of his cabin above the bed? That doesn't show up on the exterior of the ship either.
  • Cerberus373Cerberus3730 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, the space scenes are pre rendered, but it is with the game engine, because it takes more of the CPU power to calculate the scenes, but they are low poly model with a really good texture on it, and the background (Omega, The Citadel or Ilium) are just pictures(the stations newer turn).
    And as you can see in these images, the tips of the fins are blank.

mass_effect_2_images_norrmandy_01.jpg

mass_effect_2_images_norrmandy_02.jpg

And the ship is unreal. The exterior and interior doesnA’t match

actualy the normandy in the background at illium, omega and the citadel is infact the full 3d model. its the same model you see inside the normandy as a hologram. but once you get closer to that model the texture falls apart. although its a good way to get reference material.
    i'm currently modeling the sr2 myself. and i intend to have it printed in 3d.
    Yes but what I meant was that Omega and The Citadel are just pictures, not that ship is a picture.
    here is another little update

SSV_Normandy_SR2_09.jpg

SSV_Normandy_SR2_back01.jpg

SSV_Normandy_SR2_bottom_front01.jpg
  • Ice-DragonIce-Dragon0 Posts: 0Member
    WOW that looks great:thumb: Can't wait to see this finished:D
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    very cool! I guess it's just me then who thinks the cockpit windows look grossly out of proportion, at least when compared to the air lock? :p

Also, who the frick is the guy with the bloodpack helmet :O
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Looking great! Don't forget the little indentation on the upper surface just forward of the very back end of the fuselage. You can see it in some of you reference materials.
    Melak wrote: »
    Also, who the frick is the guy with the bloodpack helmet :O
    That's Zaeed Massani. He's a DLC party member.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Zaeed_Massani

http://masseffect.bioware.com/universe/squad/zaeed/
    This is an amazing looking Mesh! I just finished the game and between the great design and the emotional attachment you form with it over 40+ hours of game time, its quickly become one of my favorite ships of all time. From what I can see the execution here is nearly flawless; good sharp modeling and paneling. I'll definitely be checking in on this :)

Quick question... does anyone know if there is a quality version of the original Normandy out there?
    Don't know if there is a mesh available for the SR1 besides the in-game one (if you rip it from the game files). There have been a few high res ones made around the traps, but nobody has made one publicly available that I'm aware of.
    Well as fun as it would be to play around with an actual model, I would love to just see what people have done with it. Guess I'll poke around. Can't wait to see this thing finished :)
    Here is an update
    SSV_Normandy_SR2_11.jpg