Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dcheyenne class (2378 refit)

VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hi Guys/Girls!

been lurking around here for.. years.. looking for fellow maya users, haven't posted anything in awhile.. but I'll try to change that now!!

so without ado.. the Cheyenne class USS Ainu!

haven't seen too many cheyenne class's being made, so thought this would be a good one, and the refit is my own take, based on the information i've gathered.

first off, yes there is a secondary hull with a deflector on it.. read somewhere that the ship has never been seen from underneath, and somepeople say that there may be a secondary hull underneath.. so Here it is!! i'll give more information on my thinking of whats going on with her and why as the thread goes along!

been at this for abit (for those on 3d scifi, you know :) )
so enjoy, and first couple of post is a image dump of how i got here!:thumb:
Post edited by VALKYRIE013 on
Tagged:

• VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    made a waverider shuttle for the captains yacht, also serves as the runabout class for this ship. to me there are 2 reasons for a captains yacht. first is if the ship is big (galaxy for example) then the captains yacht is for vip guests, luxurious, comfortable. 2nd is for smaller ships that don't have big shuttlebays for runabout class ships (don't get me started on voyager's shuttlebay!) so a larger shuttle to go to places the smaller shuttles can't manage.

so there you go ( need to do some better renders of the waverider.. it;s on my list!)

also some shots of the 2 shuttlebays, one on the upper neck, and the other on the tail end of the 2nd hull. thinking size of bays 2-3 of the galaxy class, big enough for pods and class 9 speedboats!
    now, part of my thinking is that the ship has a saucer seperation capability, but with a twist, the lower neck and 2ndary hull seperate, and the upper neck and upper naccelles stay with the saucer to give it a warp capability ( small secondary warp core in the upper neck)

my thinking is that the ship is a long range explorer, atleast 6 months out in to the frontier, not many ships in the area ( a few, my thinking that they would send a 3-5 ship fleet to a far out sector for exploration, and mutual support if things go tits up) so an impulse only saucer doens't make much sense, so i gave it a warp capabliity to get out of dodge. doesn't make sense to me for the battle section to take all the naccelles and leave the saucer hanging!

on another note, definatly not as big as the galaxy, 17 decks, so about half the size.

more latter!:thumb:
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    I'm usually not crazy about most post-TNG designs, but how awesome is this ship?

Superb attention to details, thats what separates a good model from a great model.

Great job!
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Nice take on this design...
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    wow is the only word i have this is a great model
  • rdudarduda332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice! Great job!!
    as promised, better renders of the waverider shuttle, and its alcove.

i'll detail this ship more latter, still working on the Ainu

more latter:thumb:
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    That looks nice as well!
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    As I said you before, brilliant modelling bro! :thumb:
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    interesting idea of seperation.
  • muffimanmuffiman0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work!
    I've always been a fan of the Wolf 359 kitbash fleet.
    I also like the waverunner. Reminds me of the Korolev-class yacht designed at asdb-site Advanced Starship Design Bureau - Home. Fits perfectly into the Starfleet design linage.
    twas an insperation, along with the tng type 7 shuttle and the danube, and the arrow class, practically every shuttle i could find. :) gotta have an aerodynamic shape for a waverunner.. even though sheilds can make a brick aerodynamic... hehe.. and not the classic boxy shuttle.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow great stuff there Valkyrie :thumb: I am not a great fan of TNG designs (Galaxy class was horrible IMO ...) but this one is very nice even though it has that "fat" saucer :D
    The best part for me is the shuttle. They all should look like this.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I've long been a fan of the four-nacelle ship, and yours is a nice one!
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
    excellent interpretation :thumb:
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Intriguing. Hmmm..Why not include a set of modest sized Intrepid-Class style auxiliary deflectors in the forehead & chin of the engineering hulls, above & below the saucer section? (Instead of a full sized Galaxy-Class secondary hull?)
    Hi guys/girls! Thanks for all the comments!

okay some explanations that are in my mind for how it looks. first is the seperation, the four nacelles leaving with the battle section didn't make sense for me, especially when this ship is 6 months out at warp.. so for survivability, makes sense for the saucer to keep 2 of the naccelles.

now, i picked 2378 as a refit date on purpose, its the year voyager came back from the delta quadrent. in my mind, the Ainu was first launched in 2368, slightly after the galaxy class was finished. so in 2368, it looked like the original, no 2ndary hull etc. now after everything that happened in that 10 years, the borg, dominion, voyagers journey, advances in technology have done a huge leap. I have a large deflector dish because of the many times the enterprise used it as a weapon, etc. and Quantum slipstream. This ship is now the specs to be slipstream capable when the technology catches us, like when they sell windows 7 capable months before its released. for those of you that read the books, and Star Trek Destiny, and the circle fleet, and which ships are going, all require a deflector for the tech to work.. so thats my thinking.. and why it looks like it does :)

and the whole ship is maybe half the size of a galaxy class, so there's only 5 decks in the secondary hull, shuttlebay, cargo, eng section, fuel storage, deflector, and thats it.. tight squeeze!
    just a quick render.. no time for the long renders, i'll try at work today.

done some decaling, red pinstripes, pennants and text, and detailed the neck line. not to much.. Busy at work so.. don't feel like working 10 hours on the computer... then coming home... AND working on the computer!!... but i digress..:flippy:
    well, i'll call modeling Done! (for now.. unless i can think of anything, or missed anything)

so next is textureing (start tomorow!) and lighting.. they never really done a self lighting scheme for the galaxy class.. and as a based on ship.. i'll fix that or if anybody has any refs pics of self lighted galaxy.. Pleas share :)

so 4 good pictures ( screwed up abit on renders.. had the ambient occlusion pass going 4 Times! so it ballooned the render time Way to much.. from 15 up to 45 min.. even a 1hr 30 min render... sheesh! so thats fixed.. )

so more latter, and let's see how far on texturing i can get before going batty!:thumb:
    nice idea, I still need to get a bit used to the idea of a deflector on the lower area, but still it's nice.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    This is really an inspired design. I'm a big fan of the Cheyenne studio model design, so I scoffed when I first saw the deflector dish... but I was won over in seconds. Somehow, you really pull this off. The dish is well integrated into the hull, and the ship looks really good from every angle.

I'm not really a big fan of your separation scheme, but as a docked, whole ship, I think she's a beauty.

Some questions:

Do you have the scale of the bridge right? It seems too small if the ship is "about half the size" of the Galaxy class.

If this is the refit of the original Cheyenne class, developed after the dominion wars, then why the Galaxy class deflector module? I would think such an "old" design would be completely retrograde by that point in history, and something like an Intrepid or Sovereign deflector would be used instead. Niot that i think you should change the design, I think the Galaxy deflector looks much better than anything else you could put there, but I just don't have a rationale that would explain why it IS so similar to tech that's twenty years old, especially with all the advanced the starships have seen in the meantime.

I liked the idea of this being the original Cheyenne class better. Better still do I like the idea of this being a VARIANT of the Cheyenne class. (Or maybe even a different class. But I like the variant idea better.)

I could easily see two variants of this hull produced, each with a slightly different mission profile mix in mind.

Anyway congrats on this excellent model, and I can't wait to see the textures. :)
    well, the idea of having a design lineage, they wern't rebuilding it like the enterprise refit, just having a slight upgrade, but if you look back, i use the idea of needing a large main deflector due to the use of it in the enterprise in various episodes, especially best of both worlds.. , and with the return of voyager, we have the quantum slipstream drive, and if your up on the novels (or just read the cliffnotes versions) voyager and a fleet is going back to the delta quadrant, and every ship has a large navigational deflector, so my thinking of being slipstream "ready" when the technology comes to fruition.
    that and i think it looks better with it :)
    well some texturing is done! (after 3 days straight!... i really need to streamline this process! but i'm learning!)

most is done, some here's and there's and some tweaking of lighting since its not a flat surface anymore(texturaly speaking!) so has some shine.. and first time i got the specular to work! so moving forward!

couple of preview quality pics.. so ignore the grain (unless ur hungry:devil:)
    wow, that looks quite nice.
    More realisting than some images around, almost like a photograph of a studio-model.
    Your registries and surface "decals" the red stripes and so forth, are too high off of the surface of the hull. If you turned the shadow casting off for those particular materials it may help, but I would try to get them closer to the hull, if only because this is a model that you will want to do very close up renders, because of all the beautiful detail.

The spec is really nice, as are the deflector grids, you got really creative there.

I'm not a big fan of that last little wobble in the support pylons as they reach the bottom of the nacelles. From some angles it looks like the pylons have warped in the sun or something.

The skill that went into the actual shaping of this mesh is really something. and I gotta tell you, that bridge and bridge platform complex is one of the sweetest bridge set ups... EVER!
    Hi Thanks for the coments!

Polaris, Aresius Thanks!

as for the wobble in the pylons.... looked like crap when it was straight, Especially from a head on! .. this thing doesn't have to many good angles to begin with :)

more latter, Takes Forever to render! .. even to load! guess i have to many booleans >_<
  • HellsgateHellsgate0 Posts: 8Member
    Sweet. Anyone going to write a fan fic about this one? Or feature it in a fan production?
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Nice - I like the bridge section...
    .. this thing doesn't have to many good angles to begin with :)

:lol:

That's not entirely fair. (True. But not entirely fair.) I think this class looks good from most angles... just not the straight-on ones. But lots of starships don't look good straight on from one or more "orthographic" angles.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    What to say other than B R I L L I A N T ?
    Very well done!