Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DYAM -(Yet Another Mech)

• Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    OK, I'm trying to figure out a decent cockpit. On the left is the old one and on the right is the new one (still being fleshed out). Which one looks more interesting?
    76700.jpg76701.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    b
    An integrated, armoured cockpit like that undoubtably has some Macross-style virtual cockpit, which is always cool and makes so much sense in a dense combat environment. And it looks cool to boot.
    Thanx, Meph I like model 'b' myself. However, there will still be a small window in each hatch. The references all have a small cockpit window in both places. I'm guessing one view to fight with and one view to watch where s/he puts his/her big feet. Could you imagine the chewing out you'd get for stomping the Star Colonel's staff car...
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    I dunno. They both look really good. I guess I'd go for 2 as well but not by much. It would be cooler if it would be armoured though like meph said
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    The one on the left is more interesting, but the one on the right is more practical. Having big cockpit windows on battlemechs like the Madcat or the Griffin or the BattleMaster was always a little ridiculous to me.
    Thanks for the comments.

I've redone the cockpit and worked on the side panel things, whatever they are.

Mach :thumb:
    76860.jpg
    OK, so I have seen the new look and it's kinda scary. However, I'm dredging this up from around page six so that's how long it's been. I've been truly discouraged casual browsing so I don't see the place as much.

Anyhow, I'm still busy but I took a little detour from the Mangonel (and the detailing of its large beetle-like carapace) in order to try a large, lower poly anthropomorphic mech. This is not in the Mechwarrior Canon, but would fit nicely. I call it the Stone Monk and it should be about 85-90 tons with 2 ERPPCs, 2 UAC5 and a Streak SRM6. It's also gonna have jump jets and right now it's hovering around 36,000 faces versus the 2.2 million (at least that is what the render says) of the mangonel above. I'm not doing any subsurf unless I need more rounding (on the "hood/cowl" for instance).

I'm still at work on the mangonel, but for now, this is just a change of pace...

78623.jpg
    adding more details. I have changed the shape of the upper torso a bit.
    78815.jpg78816.jpg
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    Awww, here I was, reading through the thread to see if anyone knew it was the Mangonel, and right here on the 4th page you go and say it.

Though to be honest, I had it confused with the 100t Malice at first. They're both "walking heads", it should be an understandable mistake.
    Sorry, I sorta had to give it away.

Anyhoo. On with the guns on the side project...
    78869.jpg
    I shortened the cannons and made some more details on the torso.

78979.jpg78980.jpg
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Hi,

I can't believe I didn't check this thread out considering a fellow Blender user and all. Looks great. That other mech you were using subsurf on? I ask because I am having a little trouble cutting on some curved surfaces and was wondering what you did to get your nice lines.

Also, what kind of light setup are you using?

-Brian
    About all I can say for the curves and subsurf is "Practice, Practice, Practice". I have been viewing lots of tutorials on these sites:
    www.blendercookie.com - piles of good blender tutorials
    www.3-palace.com - specific to 3dsMax but they work just as well in blender
    www.3dBuzz.com - also 3dsmax and Maya specific but they translate well into blender
    Somebody here (JeffrySG? - sorry, can't remember) has some very nice lightwave tutorials on general subsurf modeling.
    I also look at stuff on Vimeo and Youtube too. I still don't have it all down yet.

As for lighting, I am doing a 3 point light rig described in one of the tutorials on BlenderCookie. THat site also has a neat tip on how to create the infinite ground plane so your model's shadows project onto a flat surface without appearing to suddenly end ...
    Minor update. Added some armor and small parts and threw on some procedural textures...
    79716.jpg
    Another try at procedural textures. Now with bump mapping :cool:

And another shot looking down
    79739.jpg79742.jpg
    OK, back from the dead. I decided to start over on the newer mech and have been quietly working on it for a long time. This is what I have so far...
    86013.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Cool, reminds me a little of the Atlas.
    Damn, I wish I could do mechs, I love Battletech/Mechwarrior |:(
    Wow, and I was beginning to think I had to turn this into some kind of Trek thread. :)
    However much I have never liked the Atlas (except for the DOA version) I must admit there are some unintended similarities.

Here's some updates on the head and torso.
    86056.jpg
  • Capt DaveCapt Dave0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking Good!
    Small details. Maintenance hatches and attach points.
    86104.jpg
    Aaannd a few more updates. Made the hands a little bigger and added some jumpjets to the back.

86157.jpg86158.jpg
    more details...
    86185.jpg86186.jpg
    Here's the mech along side a bank building for scale.

86401.png
    Some more details on the scene and some extra lighting.

86416.jpg
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    nice work, the details on the mech look really good. I would make the overall lighting in the image quite a bit darker and maybe make the spot lights a little softer, but other than that really cool stuff
    (i'm assuming battletech/mechwarrior) Whats the tonnage on this mech? I'm guessing about 35. and what its armorment? I only see what could be an SRM4 or a 4 pack of light lasers.

When I stated it out as an Innersphere mech (tech level 3) I was easily able to make it a fast skirmisher. It boasts a speed of 6/9/12 and a jump of 5. I also places a turreted ER Small lasers on each shoulder, and a Streak SRM 4 in the left breast, with two tons of ammo (case II). All with standard armor and frame.

With 10 double heat sinks your going to be able to sprint/jump in and shoot like crazy non stop with 8 heat to spare. So I'm thinking this would be a good urban warfare mech.
    Thanks. Actually I was going for an 85 tonner. The chest weapon is a Streak SRM6 and that's a ER large laser in the lower torso. I'm thinking about some sort or large handheld weapon that looks like a Bazooka or possibly a 3 barrel heavy cannon. Probably a top speed of slightly better than a Sunder. It's got room for 6 Jump jets so make of that what you will. I don't know the board game specs and moves, I only know what I've played from the Mechwarrior computer games.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    I've always seen the weakness of the mech idea to be the joints. You've left yours exposed, but given the mech a cup?
    **blushes** It's umm... more of a modesty thing, really.:lol:

Actually, with the exception of the knees (from the side) I thought I had everything pretty well covered. The big skirts cover the ankles, the front plate from the shin covers the front of the knee joints. The shoulders are protected by those big plates on the side. The elbow joints are covered front, back, and sides. Those front shoulder plate things are actually the armored caps protecting the joint.

Sort of like the biblical New Testament armor, everything is covered except the back, because to turn from the fight would be dishonorable...
    In what year is this type of mech active? So I can better assign tech sphere.

Also, if its and SRM-6, shouldn't it have 6 holes rather than just 4?