Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DU.S.S. Ghost

Marian87Marian87171 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2010 in Work in Progress #1
A TOS federation ship.
75560.jpg
75561.jpg
75562.jpg
Post edited by Marian87 on
Tagged:

• Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    Very cool!
    Aren't 2 deflectors a little overkill though?
    I say drop to top one :)
  • Marian87Marian87171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks.
    2 deflectors yes. I think i'll make the top one some sort of advanced sensor array, i didn't gave it the name ghost for nothing, i want it to be an intel gathering ship, got to think of some stealthy features.
  • TrekologistTrekologist0 Posts: 0Member
    Cool concept! Is this a ship from the 22nd or the 23rd century?
    I'm still thinking about that, but i'm leaning towards a 23rd century ship, something contemporary with the TOS Constitution class Enterprise.

I just remade the saucer with more polys and added the impulse engines.
    75569.jpg75570.jpg
  • Soran77Soran770 Posts: 0Member
    This is an amazing sketchup creation
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    ^Then you have been under estimating Sketchup. Marian87 has barely gotten started on this.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    I like it!

I also think that the cut out under the shuttle bay is the perfect place for a third, rear-facing dish! Space is three dimensional. :thumb:

I am also just getting started with S.U.. Cool program so far, lots to learn on my part.

Hey Marian87, is there a nice tutorial on how you achieved those nice domes and cones?

Regards,

Scott
    This is an amazing sketchup creation

Just click the link to my deviant art page in my sig, all in it is done with SU, and it's not even the best that can be done, by a long shot
    It was even used to create the concept for the robot in AVATAR, click here.
    I also think that the cut out under the shuttle bay is the perfect place for a third, rear-facing dish! Space is three dimensional.

I don't know if i should add a 3rd deflector dish, i'm still thinking if this kind of ship needs more than one deflector for spying or i should model some other kind of dish for that.

About the domes and cones, it's very simple and they can be done in 2 ways:

1) Import a side picture of the ship with the saucer section you want to model, then use the draw tool, line tool and arc tool to make half of the side of the saucer, then draw a circle from the line that would be the middle of the whole section, then use the follow me tool on the circle and voiala, a saucer section.

2) Second Import the picture like before, but instead of drawing the profile of the saucer, use the circle tool to make it's diameter. Then using the push pull tool and scale tool ( press ctrl while draging the scale points for proportional scaling) u can make the domes and cones.
    75787.jpg75788.jpg
    A bit of work on the saucer and nacelles.
    75845.jpg75846.jpg
    Some experimentation, i'm not quite sure i like the direction i'm headed.

Any thoughts?
    75885.jpg
    bit of progress
    75890.jpg
    After a long while I decided to finish the Ghost and I'm finally satisfied with the ship. It's not perfect but it will do for now.

And here's the story:

The ship was built as part of the Silent Shadow project in the 2250s. Its aim was both scientific and covert intelligence gathering.
    Only a few ships were built before the project was shut down, and these were constructed from the skeletons and equipment of old mothballed ships.
    Only 20% of the equipment was made especially for them, which was mainly used for the sensor arrays and nacelles, to make them more sensible and less detectable.
    There wasn't a specific class that these ships belonged to as each was configured differently and used the registry numbers of other ships still in service due for refitting or rebuilding, but not keeping the same names.

In spite of all these tricks being employed the ships were rarely used for anything other than studying alien civilizations on the verge of space flight.

Current status of ships: Unknown, presumed recycled.

Probably not very accurate, didn't do alot of research to see of it makes sense or if it fits in the time period very well but I thought it sounded cool.
    82950.jpg82951.jpg