Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DPhiladelphia Class Frigate

BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
edited April 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Time is a fickle thing. Where once there is peace, war can erupt without the slightest notion. On the other side of that same coin are the strategists, planning every move of the fleet, and trying to get an insight into what is going to happen now, soon, or not so soon.

Enter the Philadelphia Class. This warship, constructed not so long after the Wells class intervention cruisers, has a more obvious role than the last: deliver a punch, and deliver it hard. At the brink of the 30th century, when the Na'Kuhl opposed the Temporal Accords and war erupted, this class of ship was pitched in the front lines. Not as elegant as a Wells, but far cheaper and easier to produce, this became the first platform of choice to combat the Na'Kuhl across different timelines. To cut down on costs the ship is equipped with a model of temporal transporter that can span less time than the Wells' transporter, but this was deemed enough: if it would be needed, the ship would jump to the timeframe itself and then initiate transport.

img009y.th.jpg

Being a ship of war, it is equiped with two heavy temporal disruptors on the front and several phaserstrips across the hull, as well as being able to fire Mk. IV temporal chroniton torpedoes, able to chase a timejumping ship at least a few centuries; in one case, a Na'Kuhl heavy cruiser was destroyed when it jumped back five centuries to escape a Philedelphia wing, only to be surprised off-guard by a chasing chroniton torpedo. It's 110 meters are filled with equipment that can aid the personell in their fight, though it has less volume compared to a Wells. A shuttlebay is absent: the ship is too small to cary an Aeon anyway. A temporal pod is present, though.

philedelphia1.th.jpg
philedelphia2.th.jpg

- - -

So... This here ship is being made for SCN's sub 200 meter starship competition. Perhaps the most exotic project of this whole competition, even more so than my slipstream ship. This is unknown territory, though still Federation. The ship came out a little bit different compared to the sketch but it came out better than I'd hoped for. I know that there's some errors in the model but I'm still busy perfeting it. I hope you all can get into my mind with this one, because... well, yeah, this ain't your daddy's Star Trek (or your son's, or great-great-great-grandson's, for that matter ;) )
Post edited by BorgMan on
Tagged:

• liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    thats a nice start are you using subdivide and smooth? Hwy have you used the new UV mapping ruby? havent used it yet but downloaded it, might come in handy if you want to texture this thing what with all the smooth surfaces and all!
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I haven't used any of your suggested ruby's yet so I guess I'll have to find them ^_^ Got a linky for me? Thanks!
    WHATTT! how can you model such perfect hulls without the rubys lol!
    I know you can cos I used to do it before I found sketchucation but god man you aint half a master of SU doing that without plugin support! Its so smooth too you could have fooled me it was subdivision. Ill find you the links and edit them into this post some time tonight, the computer im on insnt my mac but a super slow acer laptop running vista super slow, but ill get you the links eventually {WATCH THIS SPACE}.
  • solariesolarie0 Posts: 0Member
    One thing is that is resembles the Whitestar from Babylon 5
    But it is a nice looking ship good work.
    Well Liam I've got a ton of ruby's in my collection, but not the ruby's you are refering to.
    aah well then. Hmm well ill find subdivide and smooth, have you got rounded edges? and ill find the UV map ruby also.
    Yeah I've got rounded edges, as well as Skin, Weld and the Tools on Surface set :)
    ahh beat me too it nice one, they are good tools and come in useful, soap skin and weld are the most useful but i see you already have them
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i find the modelled nose to be to long compared to the pciture..
    You are right about that indeed, but I'm kind of digging that more than the -honestly- bulky look of the sketch. I was pondering about this again just yesterday, but have decided to leave it as is :)
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Really great design, keep to post!!

Bye
    Here's a little update. I added the secondary hull, which was more a pain than any of you could probably think. Not sure if it stays this way but I kind of like it :)

philedelphia2.th.jpg
    philedelphia1.th.jpg
  • blackbird17blackbird170 Posts: 0Member
    Well nice start on the hull of the 30TH Century Federation Warship, looking forward to seeing where this project leads too!
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    liam887 wrote: »
    WHATTT! how can you model such perfect hulls without the rubys lol!
    I know you can cos I used to do it before I found sketchucation but god man you aint half a master of SU doing that without plugin support! Its so smooth too you could have fooled me it was subdivision. Ill find you the links and edit them into this post some time tonight, the computer im on insnt my mac but a super slow acer laptop running vista super slow, but ill get you the links eventually {WATCH THIS SPACE}.

Not that hard Liam, I model with no plugins or rubys at all..I've tried a couple but found the result were not that great and I can model just as fast manually.
    ^ I don't use a lot of plugins, but I have come to the conclusion that Tools on Surface, Weld and Joint Push/Pull really are plugins that almost everybody will benefit from :)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I've been following this on SCN and think you're doing a great job. :)
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    ^ I don't use a lot of plugins, but I have come to the conclusion that Tools on Surface, Weld and Joint Push/Pull really are plugins that almost everybody will benefit from :)

DonA’t forget the FFD, and sphere, those are really usefull scripts. :D
    I tryed to play with Sketchup other day, just to see if things are easier than in max. LetA’s say I found positives and negatives... I still need to learn A LOT about sketchup. IA’m moving slowlly in the learning curve. :D
    Well... this one isn't dead, though I've had so little time doing stuff that I really had to make time. The competition as already over but I just had the urge to finish it. It's still not done but atleast I'm getting somewhere :)
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Can't believe I havn't commented here yet, the shape of this ship is quite delicate! I like the impulse engines especially, I've seen this style or similar popping up everywhere!
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    It's a lovely shape, but to me it seems more like an atmospheric or interface craft than a frigate.
    Well, compare it to the Relativity; I know that it's more "traditionally" shaped but I think it works out :) I don't know for sure if this will stay a frigate or that I'll change the designation to Interceptor, though it's more ship that chases others and actively participates in wars versus "just" intercepting enemy crafts...
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    The shape is very ellegant! Really beautifull, but I believe due to itA’s more traditional body, it fits better as a Naboo vessel than a Trek vessel. ;)

Wait! You still need to add the nacelles... :o :devil:

Just kidding. :lol: Seriouslly, great work! :thumb: