Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDestiny

• colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    hmmm
  • omnipotentomnipotent658 SwedenPosts: 466Member
    colbmista wrote: »
    hmmm
    it is there colby i can vouch for it.
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Much as I like the Destiny as a ship. It's interesting to see that filming sets and CGI ship models still don't have that much in common. :-P
    If you think about the observation room set. It's a room off the side of a passageway. Yet the ship clearly shows it as a room by itself which would have to accessed from below.
    Pagrin wrote: »
    Much as I like the Destiny as a ship. It's interesting to see that filming sets and CGI ship models still don't have that much in common. :-P
    If you think about the observation room set. It's a room off the side of a passageway. Yet the ship clearly shows it as a room by itself which would have to accessed from below.

that isnt the only error when it comes to this ship and i guess thats what you get from Stargate half arsed CGI and VFX and no consictency in either the story or the ships or the ship scaling damn shame IMO
  • BarrothBarroth0 Posts: 0Member
    Really detailled work Vilandra ^^, are you going to make a hull plating for the whole ship?
  • VilandraVilandra0 Posts: 0Member
    Barroth wrote: »
    Really detailled work Vilandra ^^, are you going to make a hull plating for the whole ship?

Yes, im going to try and model the hull plating. I was originally going to do it with bump mapping, but it didnt look good for up close shots.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    nice modellling.
    Need some opinions on this....

Here are two shots from roughly the same angle showing the new hull plating ive added.

For those of you that have used Cinema 4D, there is the phong tag, which determines how the geometry will be shaded. A lower phong angle gives a more sharpened and straight angle, while a higher phong angle will give more of a rounded (non so straight) look.

Check out the attached images and let me know which one you think looks best. Ive applied a temporary texture to it for now to help out so it wouldnt have the flat gray color.

Thanks
    80906.jpg80907.jpg
  • AtlanteanAtlantean0 Posts: 0Member
    Vilandra wrote: »

Here are two shots from roughly the same angle showing the new hull plating ive added.

For those of you that have used Cinema 4D, there is the phong tag, which determines how the geometry will be shaded. A lower phong angle gives a more sharpened and straight angle, while a higher phong angle will give more of a rounded (non so straight) look.

Check out the attached images and let me know which one you think looks best. Ive applied a temporary texture to it for now to help out so it wouldnt have the flat gray color.

Thanks

I like the 13A° one better. :-)
  • AardwolfAardwolf171 Posts: 82Member
    Ooo. Some nice progress.

Speaking of which, you really ought to update that thumbnail.
    Aardwolf wrote: »
    Speaking of which, you really ought to update that thumbnail.

Done! :)

Thanks

first one
    I agree the first image seems more consistent with the look you are after, the second one looks like a texture on a flat surface.
    Heres a test of one of the smaller gun turrets, all rigged for animating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ne9V52X0CE

More to come later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Heres a test of one of the smaller gun turrets, all rigged for animating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ne9V52X0CE

More to come later.

Your Destiny is realy coming along very very nicely! Looks realy good!:thumb::thumb:

And now.... With what's been happening on the show, there are 2 new adversary ships that just came out!
    The purple/blueish alien's fighter craft and the battle cruiser or whatever ya wana call it.:lol:

Wonder who's going to tackle them?:lol::lol::lol:
    the fighter and the space dumptruck? lol
    Yea, that butt ugly thing! LOL
    Not me! Destiny has proven to be way too much for one person... even though im still working on it.

Poly count is a little over 1.2 million.
    Yet again i'm in awe of the quality of your work. The animation is awesome! Cant wait to see more of the Destiny
    Not me! Destiny has proven to be way too much for one person... even though im still working on it.

Nah... I wasn't expecting you to go for it. hehehe
    And certaintly, I won't either, I don't know how to 3D, my thing is physical modeling (to which I have a WIP of the Destiny). hehehe

But non the less... Your work is awsome!

way to much? i dont think so myself and i made my latest one in a week :P

and wow 1.2 million already? you shouldnt panel everything like you have done its unnessesary and it could easily be simulated with bump as they have done with the show version.

still very nice work! but the more polys you add the less animateable and usefull the mesh will become.. anyway looking forward to seeing more progress ;)

Thanks

35 gives a finer more realistic look imo.
    omnipotent wrote: »
    way to much? i dont think so myself and i made my latest one in a week :P

and wow 1.2 million already? you shouldnt panel everything like you have done its unnessesary and it could easily be simulated with bump as they have done with the show version.

still very nice work! but the more polys you add the less animateable and usefull the mesh will become.. anyway looking forward to seeing more progress ;)

I dont think paneling everything is unnecessary. Bump mapping up close looks like crap, and any up close shots I have planned will not look very good.

The close up shots in the show look like geometry to me. Theres a few caps I have that show paneling everwhere, and its either geometry, or really high res displacement mapping.

Right now I dont have any problems viewing the ship, or moving it in the viewport. Im using instancing for certain repeatable objects, and im also mirroring a lot as well.

My goal is detail... lots and lots of detail. :)
  • BarrothBarroth0 Posts: 0Member
    nice work vilandra, this little gun looks almost like my version of this gun ^^
    are we going to see a update today?
    I dont think paneling everything is unnecessary. Bump mapping up close looks like crap, and any up close shots I have planned will not look very good.

The close up shots in the show look like geometry to me. Theres a few caps I have that show paneling everwhere, and its either geometry, or really high res displacement mapping.

Right now I dont have any problems viewing the ship, or moving it in the viewport. Im using instancing for certain repeatable objects, and im also mirroring a lot as well.

My goal is detail... lots and lots of detail. :)

well i do ;)

and well bump can look good if done well as evident by the show version ship even tho it is terrible in some places,
    also there is actually less panels than you might think on the show version.

anyway its up to you in the end.

i have screencaps in HD from mutiple eps if you are intrested? capped em myself so i made sure to get the good ones without motin blur etc.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GXSKXY42

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X5QIUIII

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A7SNHXIJ
    Barroth wrote: »
    nice work vilandra, this little gun looks almost like my version of this gun ^^
    are we going to see a update today?

Its possible. Im trying to find some good shots of the larger guns.. but it looks like there havent been any up close shots of the big ones yet.
    omnipotent wrote: »
    well i do ;)

and well bump can look good if done well as evident by the show version ship even tho it is terrible in some places,
    also there is actually less panels than you might think on the show version.

anyway its up to you in the end.

i have screencaps in HD from mutiple eps if you are intrested? capped em myself so i made sure to get the good ones without motin blur etc.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GXSKXY42

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X5QIUIII

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A7SNHXIJ

Thanks... although I already have most of the episodes in HD 720p. :)

And I do agree with you to a point. Sometimes optimization is important, but in my case, my machine should be able to handle it and the geometry will look better than the bump mapping up close. My textures are only 1024x1024.
    You also have the benefit of only having to do destiny herself it's not like there is a fleet of them, or for that matter fleets of anything else either most of the time.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice Animation.
    Bigger gun. :cool:
    81178.jpg