Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMACROSS: Max VF-1J

brain_damagebrain_damage0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hello Everyone, this is my first post here.

After a lot of thinking I decided to make a YF-19 macross fighter and I plan to create a hole scene for it, and place it in the middle of a destroyed city. So I`ll model the yf-19, the city, the gunpod and a glaug (yes, I know, glaugs and yf-19 never met, but I found BPs for the glaug and it`s quite easy to do).

Let`s see what comes out of this. It`s going to take a while for sure!
93746.jpg
Post edited by brain_damage on
Tagged:

• L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    good decision :D
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Sweet! I'm my front row seat for this one, 'cuz I just love the YF-19. Go, man, go! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Oh Yeah. Hail for Macross and Valkyries. :) My favourite anime series. :)
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice Idea, I was a fun of Macross...

Keep to post!!

Bye
  • brain_damagebrain_damage0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I`m leaving the fighter for the end, since IA’m in the search for the best references (I actually ordered the yamato toy), so I started the modeling of the gunpod.

IA’ll keep posting the progress
    73824.gif73825.jpg
    moving on...
    73830.jpg73831.jpg
    Looking good, although it seems that the wall thickness of the barrel might be a bit bigger. meaning outer radius is good but the inner should be a tad smaller it seems. Like this it looks like it's ready to lob artillery shells as opposed to large caliber machine chain gun ammo
    Finished the gunpod, I'll start with the textures now.

Meph: Yes, you are right, but that's because it actually holds 3 cannons inside, similar to a gatling gun.
    73850.jpg73851.jpg73852.jpg73853.jpg
    First render test for the textures. Unwraping is taking a while.
    Last one till next week.
    73860.jpg
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    This is progressing faster than I thought. well done.
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    That looks good. I'm going to be watching this one if the rest looks that good.
    Cool, nice progress indeed.
  • Tochiro76Tochiro760 Posts: 0Member
    I once had a toy of a valkyrie from robotech and took it to show and tell at school back in the early 80's, I lost the gun for it later that day and then somehow later on after that I lost the toy:-( The toy was some cheapo stuff that had no back side to the torso area and it was being sold for a few bucks all over the place. Dam I miss those times, wish I could go back in time with some modern recording equipment and get all the stuff off the local airwaves because things like this were slightly different from what was released elsewhere in the US especially the original harlock tv show... there was a version before they hacked it together with queen millenia show. I didn't obtain a vcr until YEARS later lol snif snif...

To me on topic though hehe, this is looking good keep it up:-)
    Hy! Thanks everyone for the good words!
    I'm done with the gunpod and I'm going to start with the layout of the city.
    73949.jpg73950.jpg73951.jpg
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    o0o0o0o0o! That almost looks like a photo!
    The gun is supposed to be about twice as long as a human is tall right? Maybe change the heads of those screws to something that looks like a proprietary industrial tool is required to move them? Also if the muzzle could have some stains from being fired a lot to go along with the awesome used a lot look you have for the texture.
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not sure they make phillips head screwdrivers that big. Maybe something in a torx head, but phillips? No way.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Size differences aside, I think it's one of the best textured models around :D :thumb: It does indeed look almost photorealistic. I know Macross only from a GBA game but I liked the fighters very much so I'll be keeping an eye on this one !
  • MEATLOAFrMEATLOAFr331 Posts: 0Member
    inside of barrel looks funny, looks like it's never been fired - no rifleling & scorch marks inside it.

Otherwise it looks fantastic, nice aged worn look to it
    Thanks for the comments!
    You are all right about the screws, I actually never thought of that! a torx head would look much better.

The thing with the barrel is that it holds 3 cannons inside, like a gatling gun, so it wouldn't have the ware of a regular used barrel, though it should have more stains. I need to work on that.

Also, i think the YF-19 is not "excalibur", I need to remove that.
    carefull where you place the scratches on the texture.

also, scatches take the paint away and reveal another layer of paint or the very metal of the object.

tha gun looks nice. too bad its so poorly aerodynamic.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Wow. This is awesome and I can't wait to see what you end up doing with the YF-19. As far as the philips head I would recommend changing to a hex or 12 point bolt rather than a screw head. The 12 point would probably look better as far as adding detail.
    Throughout the tv series and movies there is this flat head type screw, it's on everything even big actuators and power storage device cannisters etc so flat head might fit in better.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    yeah the textures look awesome however they are in proportion to as if it was a human sized battle rifle not a human, but as ths will be only part of a larger model you wont see and it will be fine. Good work anyway damn good job on textures.
    Hy Everyone! thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm going with a 12 point bolt, it's the better looking one.

I'll start with the city, I'll post the basic layout once I have it.
    if you look in cgtalk, in the max specific forum, theres a guy who developed a script that generates random buildings
    Yes, the script is great, its called building generator (quite obvious). The last release comes with a texture pack also. If someone is interested you can find more info here: Tyson Ibele's Online Portfolio

As for the city, here is a basic layout of what I'm aiming at. The fighter would go right in the middle
    74034.jpg
    Hello all

Here's what I got so far for the first building

Added the first texture
    74180.jpg74214.jpg
    Hello Everyone

Here's my latest update. I've almost finished with the textures for the first building, but i don't really like them, so I'm going to start all over again. I also don't like the way I modeled the sidewalk, so I'm remodeling that also.

I'll post an update next week.
    74251.jpg
    Hmmm doesn't look too shabby, just a few mesh errors here and there. A rebuild will take time and it depends on what level of detail you want, or rather, need, for your intended composite beauty pic.