Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMACROSS: Max VF-1J

• MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh that does look awsome, if your going to spend that much time detailing all the pieces in this scene its gonna look great :D
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    The plaster looks a little too thick on that building face, but other than that pithy detail, I can't see anything else wrong with it.
  • brain_damagebrain_damage0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello all

About your comments, yes, it will take time, but as this is a personal project I'm not worried about that. I rather take all the time I need to add as much detail as I can, or at least until I'm happy with the result.

So, here's my latest update. I redone all textures and remodeled the sidewalk. I have to fix some problems with the UVs in the interior walls and I still don't like the sidewalk, so I'm going out to take some pictures for reference.
    74356.jpg
    Ok, I'm done with the first building. I'm now happy with the result. Going out to take pictures and using them as a reference was very helpful.

Here's the result.
    74444.jpg
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    it still looks a bit too clean to be that destroyed to me
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm it seems pretty good to me :thumb: I think that an overdone bump map is what the building needs to satisfy L2K :D
    I'm looking forward to seeing more of the scene because everything is absolutely top-notch and very professional.
  • AcemanAceman337 Posts: 269Member
    Great modeling! Love the renders!. Please keep at it.. just alittle more and this is header bound.

Aceman
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    I think L2K is suggesting more wear on the diffuse texture to go with the rest, like dirt and scorch marks. I'm inclined to agree, right now it looks like someone power-washed it recently. Otherwise it looks great though.
    Hello all!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

About the dirt and scorch marks, I actually thought about it, and if you check the previous versions of the building you'll notice that now the final version has more dirt on it. I didn't add any more for 2 reasons. First, the reference image I was using didn't have as many marks and dirt, so I thought it was OK, and second, I tried adding some marks on the edges and I didn't like it. Anyways, I want to add some more details to it, but I'm waiting till the end, since I'm not sure about the poly count and amount of textures. If I have some budget left, I'll do it.

Now, whenever I get bored of the city, I start doing something else, so here's a small update. It's a car I'm using just to "fill the scene". The basic model belongs to "Dr.FeelGood" @ Scratch Made Cars - Car Blueprints Forum forum (great forum BTW, if you enjoy cars). I notified him about it.
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    You're saving the YF-19 and Glaug for last, am I right? Bad move, in my opinion. Those two are probably going to be the real hard parts of this project. I say set the scenery aside and work on the mecha, because you might not want to later on.
    Ironscythe wrote: »
    You're saving the YF-19 and Glaug for last, am I right? Bad move, in my opinion. Those two are probably going to be the real hard parts of this project. I say set the scenery aside and work on the mecha, because you might not want to later on.

Busted! haha. No, really, I think is the other way around. Let me explain, I have my reasons.

I think that the fighter will be the most exiting part of the project, I'm really looking forward to it, so I'm doing the boring part (the city) first, because I know that if I do the fighter now, then I will have no thrill for the city, and it will end up having no detail.
    I do sometimes get bored of the city and I move forward to another thing, like the car model I posted, and I have indeed started the glaug, but posted no progress yet.
  • RodavanRodavan236 Posts: 66Member
    Have to agree with Ironscythe , have modeled both ...... vf19 being rebuild when I have time :cool:
    I've been really busy this past few days, and provably will be the same for a few weeks.

Here's what I have so far for the second block. I'm going to modify the order of the buildings, pulling the textured one closer to the camera, and pushing the other one back. I'm also going to add a new building at the corner. Once I'm done with this block I'll move forward with the glaug.
    i dont know...
    it looks more its half built than half destroyed so far...

and... an air conditioner in a garage ?
    looks like a ramp in the sidewalk in front...
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    It all works for me. I would think the Air con is in a shop front, rather than a garage L2K But I guess it's all on how you look at it.

I think you're right brain_damage about moving the corner building back a bit. Once it all gets textured it's likely to get lost a bit in the other building.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Hmmmm... perhaps set up a reactor scene, and sprinkle the scene liberally with loose bricks and let them fall naturally?
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    those are some really cool buildings. I wish I had your patience to work so much on background models, the scene will no doubt look great in the end
    Hello everyone, thanks for the comments!

Meph: Yes, that would be cool! I'll leave that for the end though since I'm worried about my polygon budget.

About what L2K said, provably this building was half made, and then destroyed, it doesn't look like it was never finished. Pagrin is right, that seems to be a shop entrance rather than a garage. Here's the reference image I'm using.

My decision of pushing the first building back is because I'll never achieve the detail that building have, at least not for this project, my poly count will go off the roofs and it would just take too long, and that's not my objective for this project.
    Hello all! It's been some time since my last post, been very busy.

I'm finally done with the second block, though I'm missing some details, like the side walk, but I'll get there.

I'll move on with the glaug now, since I started already and I also want to take a break from the city.

Well, here is what I've done this past few days.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Hello everyone, thanks for the comments!

Meph: Yes, that would be cool! I'll leave that for the end though since I'm worried about my polygon budget.

About what L2K said, provably this building was half made, and then destroyed, it doesn't look like it was never finished. Pagrin is right, that seems to be a shop entrance rather than a garage. Here's the reference image I'm using.

My decision of pushing the first building back is because I'll never achieve the detail that building have, at least not for this project, my poly count will go off the roofs and it would just take too long, and that's not my objective for this project.

I saw the image before reading the text and thought that was your render placed in a photo!!!!
    Looking good anyway
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    I agree with L2K, the building doesn't look like it is in a wartorn city. Look at some pics from WW2 french villages for some ideas on what battle scarred buildings look like.
    U566675ACME.jpg?size=67&uid=EE17742F-F6DD-4F8E-B9B3-684D4F0CD93D3361346635_6320d2ce15_b.jpg

these might help as well.
    Hi! thanks for the comments.

@salsa: I always use reference images when I model, I never just model out of the blue. The images you posted are good references, but i think they have some problems. For instance, the second building seems to be melted, instead if destroyed, it might be the quality of the photo (seems very old) and on the first image, if it wasn't for the roof, the building on the right seems fine, it doesn't even look dirty. What I think makes the difference its all the debris and environment around the building, which my images lack, yet.

Here are my references so far. What I think my images lack is that "layer" of details, and it will be very hard to achieve. I'll give it a shot anyways.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, those new renders are certainly staring to shape up. I especially like the steel rebar here and there.
    if its gonna be macross, you need to scale up those bullet holes :D

its starting to look cool :)

about that layer of details you speak of, i think the key is just textures on simple geometry on the floor.
    i've seen some unreal levels that looked pretty decent with only textures.
    Hello all.

@L2K: You are right! I keep forgetting about it and I model everything as a "normal" size. It happened with the screw on the gunpod.

I left the city aside for a while and started with the glaug. Here it goes.
    75474.jpg75475.jpg75476.jpg75477.jpg
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    You forgot missile launchers on the shoulders.

glaug.jpg

Those 3 black dots near the arm are the launch tubes for the missiles. As far as I can see, your mech is a bit too "slim" to house the tubes. Maybe that`s because of the view angle...
    hmmm, I didn't know that. The web page I used to gather the information didn't mentioned that. I just thought they where design details.

I browsed the web and find out you are right.

Oh well...., I'll see what I can do.
  • ::Darkstone::::Darkstone::0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good. I'd actually like to see a little tweak to the design, give it a bit more realistic mechanical elements rather than the simple shapes of the 2d image. But that's just me.

Great work, tho!
    sweet.
    i think your version looks a bit more slim. but it could be the glaug without missile version.
    its taking shape pretty well. cant wait to see animation tests of this one :D
    Hello all! Thank for the comments

@::darkstone:: I totally agree with you, I think that there's a point in which each artist has to add his print to his work, even when he is representing something that already exists. But, in this case, I'm going to stick to the original design, I'm going to add realism with the textures and final composition. I might take some liberties with the textures. I already did with the gunpod.

@L2K: I think you are right, it might be a little slim, I used some blueprints I found on the web, so they might not be totally accurate. After Stonecold comment I tried to add the holes for the missiles, but there is not much space for them, and the mesh is already collapsed and unwrapped, so I'm going to leave it as it is.

Here is the complete glaug.
    75690.jpg75691.jpg75692.jpg75693.jpg