Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnother Daedalus BC-304 (Blender)

Bigd524Bigd524406 ScotlandPosts: 178Member
edited June 2010 in Work in Progress #1
*** UPDATE ON LAST PAGE ***

Well was really bored so i thought i would give the Daedalus a go in blender. This is what i was able to do so far.

4334240311_8f63ca611d_b.jpg

It shouldnt take that long for me to make the main body but this is my first real model in blender (it will probably be crap)
73047.jpg
Post edited by Bigd524 on
Tagged:

• Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    well i think the daedalus is a nice ship. but you could show us some different ships...in this way you could also improve your skill.
  • Bigd524Bigd524406 ScotlandPosts: 178Member
    Davide_sd wrote: »
    well i think the daedalus is a nice ship. but you could show us some different ships...in this way you could also improve your skill.

Well i do agree with you on that but i have all the orthographics (Top, Front, Side veiws) from my other model and it will allow me to make some quick animations with the ship.
    *** UPDATE 1 ***

Added more of the main body, on another note i seem to be gettin the hang of this Blender stuff ( finally )

Here is a pic :

3929454338_400dc7873e_b.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    lookin real good mate! Glad to see a new blender user coming along.

DOnt forget to bevel the edges. Use the bevel script, not the built in tool. its crap
    Dallidas wrote: »
    lookin real good mate! Glad to see a new blender user coming along.

DOnt forget to bevel the edges. Use the bevel script, not the built in tool. its crap

Thanks for the tips and the compliments mate but i have a question for you do you know if it is possible to mirror a object in blender and if so how the hell do i do it?
    yea use the modifier stack(in the mesh edit buttons)
    yea use the modifier stack(in the mesh edit buttons)

God i am such a noob when it comes to blender, thanks thanks for the tip.
    we were all there at one point!

message me if you have any other problems
    we were all there at one point!

message me if you have any other problems

That be true, i will send you a message when i get stuck.

Thanks
    *** UPDATE 2 ***

More Detail !!!!

3932883572_c6566ba797_o.jpg
  • Nice!
    Hyperspace wrote: »
    Nice!

Thanks, its not bad for by first real Blender model is it.
    I am in need of some help, for some reason when i go to mirror the Hanger and the stuff arround it, it wont work it mirrors it but in the same posistion as the original model part.

help me please.
    Also is it possible to make a part subtract faces ( i hope so because it will make making the hanger door area so much easy.
  • in the modifier click the x, y or r mirror, but only one. Also in object mode click the object button-> clear/apply-> apply scale/rotation data(1st choice)

as for the hangar use the megabool scrpit
  • I am in need of some help, for some reason when i go to mirror the Hanger and the stuff arround it, it wont work it mirrors it but in the same posistion as the original model part.

The mirror modifier (if that is what you are using) mirrors everything around the object center axis point. So if you want a hangar on one side mirrored on the other side, the object center needs to be along the ship center-line.

The easiest way to do this is to switch your view to top-view, and then left-click to place the 3d cursor where you want the new object center to be. Use the view properties popup (menu: view->view properties) to enter an exact location. Then you tab out of edit mode, press F9 to get to the editing buttons, and click the "Center Cursor" button in the mesh area. This will not affect your polygon location, it just shifts the objects center point. Now the mirrored elements will be spaced out.
    Thanks very much hyperspace and Dallidas you helped me allot.
    *** UPDATE 3 ***

Ok i was able to do it, finally

DaedalusBlenderPic4.jpg
    *** UPDATE 4 ***

Added the windows

3937643285_b7df47faba_b.jpg
  • It is coming along very nicely!

BTW, a quick tip... If your main hull is symmetrical, use the Mirror modifier to just model half of it. It saves a lot of time.
    It is coming along very nicely!

BTW, a quick tip... If your main hull is symmetrical, use the Mirror modifier to just model half of it. It saves a lot of time.

Yeah but whats done is done.
  • experiment442experiment4420 Posts: 0Member
    I think the neck is bit too long and that the hangar needs to be a little flatter, other than that, its coming along nicely.
  • lookin great man!

Have you tried using AO(ambient occlusion) yet? Its in the world settings button. its how you get clay renders.
  • AeriesAeries1 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm. Pretty cool. :]
    Thanks guys, i will give a clay render a go.
  • bigd524, you should attach an image to the first post of this thread, so the thread will get a thumbnail. It makes it easier to spot your thread. :)
    bigd524, you should attach an image to the first post of this thread, so the thread will get a thumbnail. It makes it easier to spot your thread. :)

I have tried to add one but for some reason it wont work, it says "Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file." i used a small image and all that.
    *** UPDATE ***

Ok so i went ahead and did a clay render and added some stars while i was at it.

DaedalusBlenderPic9ABO.jpg
    *** UPDATE ***

More Detail!!!!

DaedalusBlenderPic18.jpg
    Very cool! Nice details..