Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PhotographyThe Free Atlas

BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
edited July 2010 in Finished Work #1
Hey, all...

IDK if this image would qualify, but I thought I'd post it here, and see, anyway.

This is one of many pictures I took with my digital camera, during my last trip to NYC. It is a photo of the statue of Atlas, as he holds up the globe of the world, in front of the NBC building. I took the photo into Photoshop CS2, and did some postwork with the lighting and color effects, until I got the sepia look I wanted. Let me know if you like it, and I'll post more.

freeatlas1.gif

-BolianAdmiral
72851.jpg
Post edited by BolianAdmiral on

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Wow... I guess everyone hates it, lol... not even a single comment. Oh, well...
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    LOL, no mate, actually a very cool picture, immediately conjures up images of Gotham City.

Personally I'd experiment a bit more to see if you could introduce some more contrast between the shadows and highlights.
  • backsteptbackstept2018 Posts: 919Member
    don't feel bad, the photography forum is a lot less busy than the wip forums

yeah some more contrast would make this thing pop :D
    Thanks, guys! Yeah, I think I'll tweak it a bit, and post a version with more stark light/dark contrast... see how that turns out.
  • DarknessDarkness333 Posts: 43Member
    Yeah, there's not much interest in photography here ...

Well, your picture. I'd say it's basically pretty nice, too bad the statue is so very cropped.
    Got any shots where the building in the background is not facing 'away'?
    I have another shot of the statue, but it's not as dramatic an angle as this image. I chose this view, because I felt it showcased the majesty of what the statue was meant to evoke... you're looking up at Atlas and all his strength, as if he's not only holding the world up, but also the weight of the city.
  • DarknessDarkness333 Posts: 43Member
    Well that's all good and stuff, but the cropped statue doesn't add to the picture, in this case it just takes away. ;)
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    I tweaked it a little to give more contrast... your image had too much white in it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=73041&stc=1&d=1253559510
    73041.jpg
    Hey, thanks! That does actually look a lot better! :)

Since the cropped Atlas doesn't seem to work that well, I'll do a version with the other pic I took.
  • The first thing that comes to mind from this pic is the book "atlas shruged" by ayn rand.
    Hi, all...

I was going through my old NYC photos, and this particular photo always stands out as one of my favorites, simply because of the atmosphere it conveys...

I took this at Rockefeller Center as night fell, and it was raining. The smell and smoke from the food carts was everywhere, and intermixed with the lights and the rain, it was just awesome. And every time I look at this photo, I can't help but get a "Thomas Kinkade" vibe from it... something about it just has that feel, IMO. So, I took it into Photoshop, did some tweaking, and this was my result...

rfc1.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Hi, all...

I was going through my old NYC photos, and this particular photo always stands out as one of my favorites, simply because of the atmosphere it conveys...

I took this at Rockefeller Center as night fell, and it was raining. The smell and smoke from the food carts was everywhere, and intermixed with the lights and the rain, it was just awesome. And every time I look at this photo, I can't help but get a "Thomas Kinkade" vibe from it... something about it just has that feel, IMO. So, I took it into Photoshop, did some tweaking, and this was my result...

rfc1.jpg

I like the angle. I kinda wish I could see the true colors as well. Thanks for the share.
    :)

I wish I could be there. I miss it...

:flippy:
    :p