Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Practical1701-D Art Asylum

okan170okan1700 Posts: 0Member
edited January 2013 in Work in Progress #1
I was playing around with the new AA 1701-D toy, and it struck me that it responded very well to the light, especially with its ability to keep its illumination on. I've taken the various passes (which I may post later) and added them together a la the traditional model compositing technique to create this!

Note: Some trickery in Photoshop was required since the windows do not light up on their own, but its still a pass in itself!
72664.jpg
Post edited by okan170 on
Tagged:

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Looks very good Okan, excellent lightning effects on the nacelles; some slight film grain and a little smoothing of the light source on the nacelles and it'll look like it's straight from the show! I look forward to seeing more!
  • okan170okan1700 Posts: 0Member
    Since the model/toy separates, it was fun to do this one too. If only those LEDs weren't so bright. And there were windows painted on the neck!
    72668.jpg
  • Lord_TrekieLord_Trekie0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh wow, that looks quite nice. :D
  • Pic-A-CardPic-A-Card0 Posts: 0Member
    It looks absolutely fantastic. Wouldn't mind seeing a breakdown of some of the passes - there's a lot going on here that everyone could benefit from. I mean, there's nothing like taking a plastic model and holding it in your hand, getting a feel for the shape of it, shining a light onto it, seeing how the light reacts. You can gain a broader understanding that certainly applies to CG imagery.
  • okan170okan1700 Posts: 0Member
    here ya go! 2 beauty passes, windows/matte, windows isolated, glow. (unseen) stars.
    72676.jpg72677.jpg72678.jpg72679.jpg72680.jpg
    01.jpg 202.7K
    03.jpg 87.7K
    04.jpg 103.7K
    05.jpg 103.7K
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    your first image has come out really well

nice work
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Hmm, that looks like a pretty great model. Is it better than the E-E? And how is the scaling compared to the NX?
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Just picked up one of these myself and it is a beauty, though why Art Asylum chose to make all the windows black (and miss the ones on the dorsal neck entirely) is a mystery. It's a perfect complement to the other Trek ships they've released.

By the way, the magnet that holds the saucer to the stardrive section is hella-strong! This is good because the ship is really front-heavy but, man, I was surprised at how powerful it is. You gotta watch your fingers when putting the two together, or it'll bite you like a snapping turtle.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Wow, really cool to see real photographic passes! It's fun to remember that the passes we have in 3D programs can be duplicated in real life to some extent. Great job compositing them. I would have sworn it was 3D if you hadn't had shown those. I guess that's a compliment. :) Those are some really beautiful toys Art Asylum puts out!
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    That is one fine looking model? Where did you get yours? I had ordered one off of the StarTrek.com store but they kept telling me it was back ordered and finally canceled my order, now they don't even have it listed. Everywhere else I look also says sold out. :(
  • Destructor!!!Destructor!!!0 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry to bump this thread!

I found this fascinating, and using the supplied image elements, tried my hand.

LNKH17k.jpg

I wanted to match the ambient lighting to the background. It was really just slapped together, but I'll surely try again in the future.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    That's a darn good looking bit of something. I wanna see that up against some other model ships (my fave toy shotsa re always the mix and matches).
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    That should be in our 2014 SotL calendar.
  • Destructor!!!Destructor!!!0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, thanks, guys!

I can't take all the credit. Most of the elements are on the previous page, uploaded by Okan170.

I'll be receiving Diamond Select Toys' new Bird Of Prey, Enterprise-B, and Enterprise-E over the coming months. I might find the motivation to build a scene with those three.

Or I may find it sooner and build something with my numerous Playmates and DST ships. But not just now.