Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStargate new ship

• gernot66gernot660 Posts: 0Member
    imho, like most of you, you are poly eaters. i know as long as you just set up a render scenery it doesn't matter, you can make a nice little pic or a nice little clip with it, and further.....
    i don't know, i started modeling only for games, so it teaches from the very start to use as less as possible, you have to learn to trick with normals and smoothing (not physical) to keep them low, additionally like most car modelers a startet with texturing objects before i started my first own model. you see car modelers start from the other end.
    as an example, i wonder how many of the modelers here knows what a winding order is and what it does to a poly, if you start from the very beginning of crafting 3d models, you will know.
    to day modeling is like constructing with lego, and so will look the models, imo. i dont like to much, sometimes you started your models with the right attitude, but left the trail, just because some mentioned a detail here and another there, but it kills the dynamic of a model (compare my courier to wandours courier). i look at this from the pov as an artist, dynamic is more important than a lot of details!

some i like best here are fluxfire's models, they all have very good dynamic, that's why even a simple model will still look good.

and you wan's say that didn't looks good with less then 3000 polys, including the landing gear which eats up 50% of them.

a good skin would fit my model, i know.
    80683.jpg
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    Ok I understood a part of what you said.But can you be much more clear.:confused:
    Update time.Did some panneling.Are they right?
    80707.jpg
  • gernot66gernot660 Posts: 0Member
    this ship has a good basic design,

bb143..jpg

the front part should be overhauled it looks wrinkled, btw you know how to smooth in blender (soft)?
    you can also define sharp edges to control the amount of smoothing (if desired at all, often it works without) by selecting the vertices wich should marked the sharp edges on the mesh (edges). select all vertices in edit mode and open the editing panel, click "rem double" (remove duplicate verts). if you don't see anything changed, click "set smooth" in the same tab. go back to object mode and "add modifier", "edge split". you can select now if it should split angles by degrees and/or marked as sharp, apply if you are satisfied. whenever you want to change the smoothing of the mesh, you will have to repeat the process. wrinkled creases you cant fix with that of course (in contrary, they have to be more exact), but save a lot of polys.

to split models on z axis can help reduce creases (especially when you start from primitives) one side (quarter) will allwas look better, depending on the angle. since space ships are mostly symmetrical (like cars and other commodities), you can use that to your advantage.

subsurf and other poly extensive tools are cool, but it's not modeling, imho ;)

the paneling of your above attached ship is a good start, not to much and follow the shape, with maybe some small exclusions. any way i'm not a big fan of the panels everywhere, bad for the poly count, it looks like a lot of work, but it isn't, imo. the ship itself i don't like, looks hm.. i don't know.
    like a oversized battery vacuum cleaner?

the shuttle i like, when you started it, later you left the track, not to much panels.
    i remember (that's true really), when i was i child i did a lot drawings of space ships, once i showed my father (very logic person) one with such a paneling, he said; "nice, but what for should be those disordered panels on the hull? and if it's some armor (heat shield) then it should be more ordered, look at the existing ones".

in hollywood they simply forgot any physics or logic it just has to llook good and made quick.
    that's imo why all the ships in the movies have those stupid plates, quick made details.
    think of a advanced technology, they will have a hull on a space ship slippery like my courier.
    80722.jpg
    Thank you for your input.And yes,even I when litle I drawen spaceships.
    It's been somme time but here is a update at my naboo ship.
    80890.jpg80891.jpg
    I'm back with my naboo ship.What do you think guys.Thanks for any constructive criticism.
    81235.jpg81236.jpg
    Finished my naboo M-type diplomatic barge.What do you think?
    81308.jpg
    This is my version of a drop ship Star wars style.Now let's do something interesting.Thank you for constructive comments.
    I need help on what program should I use to create a nice background.
    81471.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    same program ur using to make the ships
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Dropship looks really cool,thanks.
    Almost completed the panneling of my dropship.
    81705.jpg
    It's been a while but here is n update at my Star Wars imperial drop ship.In the second render I will make a drop scene after I finish adding some more details to the drop ship.
    82000.jpg82001.jpg
    I put up this render because I wan't to obtain a feedback regarding the laser beams.thank you for any input.

82157.jpg
  • larundellarundel171 Posts: 0Member
    I have looked through all of this thread and i like what you are doing, but i do agree that maybe you should take some more ime in doing your models and maybe practice more, but saying that this is a good place to start but i DONT agree with what Ironscyth said about your work, i think he needs to learn the meaning of constructive critasisum.

Either way keep up the good work and i hope to see you improve.
    This is my last post regarding the drop ship.I've tried the index render to edit it in a free online picture editing program.What do you think about the second one?
    82270.jpg82269.jpg
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Second one is great,thanks.
    Here is a new type of battlecruiser which I am working at.
    82781.jpg
    Hey guys I'm back after a while.I had problems with my grandmother,she had a cva.But Here it is my Valhala class battleruiser.
    83386.jpg83387.jpg83388.jpg83389.jpg83390.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Great design. Looks like it could even float too.
    Thank you.
    Ok guys here is a colony city idea.Here are the first buildings,first from left is the communication relay,second living module,third a storage depot and a reactor to power my colony.
    83422.jpg
  • Robert HarrisonRobert Harrison1 Posts: 16Member
    Ironscythe wrote: »
    Quite frankly this looks horrible. Your ship is basically a first-time mesher's attempt at the Naboo Royal Cruiser. It is NOT an upgrade. It is just bad, and you need to work on it ALOT more before you have any reason to be proud of it.

I think this is rather nasty, you are doing really well meugen, my first models were really nasty ;) i had no idea what i was doing... hell i am sure there are a few here that still think i don't know what i am doing but the only way we learn is to do and do we will... So again they look good, a bit of advice, if you can save your render to PNG rather the JEPG, it just looks a little fuzzy.
    Here are a few more buildings.
    83473.jpg83474.jpg
    Here is my finished colony.
    83641.jpg83642.jpg83643.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    needs a generator station some trees powerlines streetlamps things like that before it should be called finished
    This is a new battlecruiser that I've started working.Still confused on which variant to continue.
    83652.png83653.jpg
    What do you think about this?
    83676.jpg
    AQ1.jpg 271.3K
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    It looks great. Would fit with Yamato (Argo) as well.
    This is my first update after my family troubles.
    83834.png83835.png83836.png