Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTron light cycle 2010

robb101robb1010 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Think the bike and rider/s models are pretty much finished :) So in that sense i'm done now. I will continue to update this thread on the progress of the animation i'm now working on with these models.

attachment.php?attachmentid=72370&stc=1&d=1251667255


Below is the original post. Thanks for viewing :D




Hi

Thought I'd take a break from my concept fighter to have a go at making the new Tron Legacy Light Cycle :)

Been aching to do this one for a while, but glad i've waited a bit because it seems the finished design is somewhat different to the cycle featured in the test footage. I'm working from this image:

lightcycle.jpg

Anyway, still early days. Spent most of today working on the wheels, laid out a bit of the body work... but keep getting distracted with playing with textures :lol:

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

WIP Thumbnail update: 30th August 2009
72370.jpg
Post edited by robb101 on
Tagged:
«134

Posts

  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    This is going to be badass. :D
  • HrafnHrafn0 Posts: 0Member
    I bow to your skillz

    able to share how you are going about this? I use Blender, and I am interested in how you got the cuts in the wheel for the design. Look at my snubnose lightcycle I just posted and you will see that I am nowhere near your level of modeling.. yet.
  • robb101robb1010 Posts: 0Member
    Tovette wrote: »
    This is going to be badass. :D

    Thanks... Let's hope so:lol:
    Hrafn wrote: »
    I bow to your skillz

    able to share how you are going about this? I use Blender, and I am interested in how you got the cuts in the wheel for the design. Look at my snubnose lightcycle I just posted and you will see that I am nowhere near your level of modeling.. yet.

    Thanks for your comments! I'm modeling in MAX, afraid I don't know much about Blender :( For cuts like that you could use a number of techniques, directly edit the mesh or duplicate the plane you want to edit, edit that and apply it directly over the original. Some use boolean editing, including myself if it calls for it, but it can have unpredictable results. You could always try a bump map on your texture for finer details... hope some of that makes sense lol

    Thanks
  • cuyacuya174 Posts: 55Member
    Nice. I too got the bug to do one of these, but departed from the model. A friend bought a hondo cb 750 a few months ago and is in the process of rebuilding it to be a cafe racer, so i helped him design the new look. After seeing the tron footage i decided to a) model his bike and be make a futuristic/tron version. will see how i go. anyway yours looks great. will be keeping an eye on this
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    nice work there you hit the model at the right spot
  • AresiusAresius352 Posts: 4,155Member
    Looks like a great start.
    Nice images you found there.
  • robb101robb1010 Posts: 0Member
    cuya wrote: »
    Nice. I too got the bug to do one of these, but departed from the model. A friend bought a hondo cb 750 a few months ago and is in the process of rebuilding it to be a cafe racer, so i helped him design the new look. After seeing the tron footage i decided to a) model his bike and be make a futuristic/tron version. will see how i go. anyway yours looks great. will be keeping an eye on this

    Sounds great, you'll have to upload a pic :)
    aylaa12 wrote: »
    nice work there you hit the model at the right spot

    Cheers :D
    Aresius wrote: »
    Looks like a great start.
    Nice images you found there.

    Yeah love the concept art! Looking at some pics of the finished bike they had on display at Comic Con, looks like they've changed it ever-so-slightly again... so gonna have to change my reference image i think.

    Update: Been working on the body and the front wheel housing, still very much just wip shapes atm. Need to begin molding the parts together for the more streamlined look... then detail and trims. Still, i like how it's going :)

    Need to redo those detail lines :mad:
    WIP-7.jpg
    Front housing looks a bit of a mess atm. Hopefully will look better when the meshes are er... meshed... together.
    WIP-6.jpg
    Lighting and texture test run :D
    wip7lit.jpg
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    awesome work so far!
  • saulteniansaultenian0 Posts: 0Member
    Keep going...your lightcycle is looking great! Cannot wait to see what you do with the top.
  • HrafnHrafn0 Posts: 0Member
    He would have to add the rider to finish the bike.
  • asddsa0147asddsa01470 Posts: 0Member
    This is so cool.
  • nova1701dmsnova1701dms0 Posts: 0Member
    Great looking.
  • robb101robb1010 Posts: 0Member
    Davide_sd wrote: »
    awesome work so far!

    Thanks :D
    saultenian wrote: »
    Keep going...your lightcycle is looking great! Cannot wait to see what you do with the top.

    Thank you, working on the top now :)
    Hrafn wrote: »
    He would have to add the rider to finish the bike.

    Yeah, you're right. But i want to focus on the bike 1st, as i think the rider is going to be a project in itself.

    Update: More body work done, refined the streamline shape (totally re-did the rear housing/back support as the shape was all wrong) it's really starting to look the part. Some more glow trims added, though need to redo the lower one. Added the ghost trail just because been dying to :lol: Bit of general cleaning up done, but lots of detail to add yet. Will start work on the engine probably today :)

    Thanks for viewing.

    wip8.jpg
    Un-textured/basic lighting.

    wip8-lit.jpg
    Another light and texture test :)
  • Lizzy777Lizzy777455 PNWPosts: 569Member
    That light wall looks about spot on.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Wow the last pic is amazing :thumb: A simple but effective to the maximum !
  • citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    I love the light effect on the trail, how on earth did you do it?
  • AresiusAresius352 Posts: 4,155Member
    sweet progress here. :thumb:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    nice work, keep up! I can't see "byte" around, where is it :)
  • robb101robb1010 Posts: 0Member
    citizen wrote: »
    I love the light effect on the trail, how on earth did you do it?

    It's just a simple plane with a gradient ramp texture/opacity map and a glow added :) I'm teaching myself Ghost Trails in MAX so when it comes to animating i can have that light trail follow the bikes movement properly :D
    ozcan wrote: »
    nice work, keep up! I can't see "byte" around, where is it :)

    :lol: "NO"

    Update: Not a great deal done, but started work on the bikes handles, pedals and engine. Gonna start work on the dash display next... then a general clean up before the daunting task of modeling the Rider :o

    Thanks

    attachment.php?attachmentid=71544&stc=1&d=1249818008

    attachment.php?attachmentid=71545&stc=1&d=1249818008

    attachment.php?attachmentid=71546&stc=1&d=1249818008
    71544.jpg71545.jpg71546.jpg
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, I have to agree the trail is cool looking. The background is pretty cool too, is it a modified photo or what?
  • robb101robb1010 Posts: 0Member
    Syklon wrote: »
    Nice, I have to agree the trail is cool looking. The background is pretty cool too, is it a modified photo or what?

    It's just a captured still from the proof of concept video, just have it there to test reflections on the bike :) it is on the list of stuff to make for the finished thing :D
  • robb101robb1010 Posts: 0Member
    Quick update:

    Taken a bit of a step backwards, i decided to completely rebuild the back wheel/rear body housing using edge modeling and the results are so much better than my initial box models.

    I'm gonna start working on the rider next :O

    Cheers for viewing :)
    71654.jpg
  • robb101robb1010 Posts: 0Member
    Right... Had a go at modeling the rider/s. This is the first time i have ever modeled anything "living" before so we'll see how this goes :lol:

    Decided to do a male and female rider, just so i have both should i need them in the future. Using edge loop modeling for this and have to say i find it much more accessible than box modeling (for this kinda thing anyway:)).

    Fairly happy with how it's going, but think they'll look more effective once i've begun to detail them.

    Feedback/suggestions/help welcome :D

    riders.jpg

    riders2.jpg

    riders3.jpg
  • MajorPayneMajorPayne0 Posts: 0Member
    Astounding work. So lets see a remake of the film :P
  • Lizzy777Lizzy777455 PNWPosts: 569Member
    Hard to tell. Looks your proportions look off. Especially when compared to each other.

    The first thing that sticks out to me is the leg length between both figures. Either the female body has legs that are too long, or the male has legs that are too short.

    If it isn't the legs, then the torso of the male is too long and the female is too short.

    The only other thing I'd suggest would be to put a little more meat on the female form's arms. Looks a wee bit bony to me!
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • citizencitizen171 Posts: 0Member
    robb101 wrote: »
    riders.jpg

    riders2.jpg

    riders3.jpg

    The shoulder muscles on the male protrude too high, compared to the general musculature, he's also too boxy. The torso looks like it has lots of straight edges and flat planes, which the Human body simply doesn't have. The back dips too much, and the dip is too even along the length of the body.

    I think the groins of both should be more 'pointed', also remember the underlying mechanics of the body, places where there should be protuberances and dips due to the underlying musculature and skeletal structure.
  • robb101robb1010 Posts: 0Member
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Hard to tell. Looks your proportions look off. Especially when compared to each other.

    The first thing that sticks out to me is the leg length between both figures. Either the female body has legs that are too long, or the male has legs that are too short.

    If it isn't the legs, then the torso of the male is too long and the female is too short.

    The only other thing I'd suggest would be to put a little more meat on the female form's arms. Looks a wee bit bony to me!

    Yeah, i agree... the proportions need fixing. That's what i get for using comic book characters as templates :lol:
    citizen wrote: »
    The shoulder muscles on the male protrude too high, compared to the general musculature, he's also too boxy. The torso looks like it has lots of straight edges and flat planes, which the Human body simply doesn't have. The back dips too much, and the dip is too even along the length of the body.

    I think the groins of both should be more 'pointed', also remember the underlying mechanics of the body, places where there should be protuberances and dips due to the underlying musculature and skeletal structure.

    Cheers for the detailed breakdown. Much appreciated :D I'm new to character modeling so need all the help i can get!

    Quick update: Had a bit of time today to begin adding detail to the female rider (including bulking her up a little) so hopefully you can see where this is going?

    Thanks for viewing :)

    rider-wip-5b.jpg

    rider-wip-a.jpg

    rider-wip-5c.jpg
  • cuyacuya174 Posts: 55Member
    great work, keep it up
  • robb101robb1010 Posts: 0Member
    Just finished modeling the hands... hate hands... never done them before... hope i never do them again:p

    attachment.php?attachmentid=71792&stc=1&d=1250291527

    C+C welcome :)
    71792.jpg
  • AresiusAresius352 Posts: 4,155Member
    wow, that's cool.
Sign In or Register to comment.