Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Greetings!

Welcome to the fancy new Scifi-Meshes.com! You old username and password should work. If not, get in touch with staff either here, on Facebook or on Discord.

For a quick summary on what's new, check out this thread.
You should also check out the Community Guidelines here.
You can check out most recent posts here or by clicking the handy links on the top menu or the sidebar.

You can dismiss this message by clicking the little X in the top right corner.

W40K Black Templars Battlebarge

145791012

Posts

  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice anim.
  • Thank you mate :), I'm currently working on particle systems parameters setup in order to avoid fire posterior trails (unwanted effect) and on multi-target searching and hitting ... just for fun :)
  • MephMeph171 Posts: 0Member
    The animation is nice indeed. But perhaps the camera shake is just a tiny tad too 'sharp and uniform' if that makes any sense at all... It seems more like a mathematical sequence of vibrations rather than the camera shaking because of shockwaves going through the hull. Perhaps if you'd set them up to die down a bit slower, not a long gradual bleed-off though, but not a sharp cut-off either.
  • Meph wrote: »
    The animation is nice indeed. But perhaps the camera shake is just a tiny tad too 'sharp and uniform' if that makes any sense at all... It seems more like a mathematical sequence of vibrations rather than the camera shaking because of shockwaves going through the hull. Perhaps if you'd set them up to die down a bit slower, not a long gradual bleed-off though, but not a sharp cut-off either.

    Very good comment mate :) this is an interesting argument to talk about :).
    Camera shake effect is the "last touch" I would have added, only to give the observer the perception of fire power (In reality I don't think that this is a "possible camera effect").
    Anyway ... we have three guns that fire at different moment; each shot from each gun causes a shockwave with the characteristics that you have mentioned. At this point, the camera support perceives the overlap of this waves that originates a chaotic process (similar to the white noise that affects any space communication); this process reduces to a "damped oscillation" after the last shot. So, the right camera controller should be a white noise with a damped sine (or something similar) function trail.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    I assume you're using like a vibration/camera-shake plug-in to do it. Most of those are quite powerful so it's not difficult to just fine-tune it later, it's always a good effect that's sometimes overlooked.
  • Armondikov wrote: »
    I assume you're using like a vibration/camera-shake plug-in to do it. Most of those are quite powerful so it's not difficult to just fine-tune it later, it's always a good effect that's sometimes overlooked.

    No camera plugin up to now Armondikov :), I'll take a look to them but it's not so difficult to setup this effect "by hand"
  • Well, time to show the report of the actual project progress regarding the battleship main body ... a lot of work to do yet; this thing is really huge :)

    xdqc0.jpg

    zv253d.jpg

    2rcacfb.jpg

    sookn4.jpg
  • Lee80Lee80192 Posts: 458Member
    good lord! that is a thing of beauty! nice work on the details.
  • MephMeph171 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, I see, so the three guns firing cause a separate shake that 'blends' together and causes the 'uniform' effect. Perhaps try with one shake for the three together? Go for visual goodness instead of physical correctness.

    And gorgeous progress mate.
  • Lee80 really thank you :) and Meph, forgive me but maybe there is a mis-understanding; what I wanted to say is that all three guns in a single turret shot at the same time while the turrets shot at different time than ... a shockwave for each turret. Anyway I'll post very soon something more realistic even if I prefer visual goodness too :)
  • MephMeph171 Posts: 0Member
    Ah indeed, when I said 'gun', I meant 'turret' actually :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]0 Posts: 3Member
    Meph wrote: »
    Ah indeed, when I said 'gun', I meant 'turret' actually :D

    Ok, it's all clear :D.

    Here is an update: CIWS Animation V2
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Well I like it :D
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    The shaking nicely tails off now. A quick question if you're still doing it "manually"; are you just shaking the camera in the x, y and z directions (which it looks like to me) or are you putting in some rotation too? The camera shake plug-in I use has rotation as part of the options, it's a very subtle addition (less that a degree in either direction, although maybe a little more in the "barrel roll" direction) but just gives it that little bit more realism over just shaking it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]0 Posts: 3Member
    Armondikov wrote: »
    The shaking nicely tails off now. A quick question if you're still doing it "manually"; are you just shaking the camera in the x, y and z directions (which it looks like to me) or are you putting in some rotation too? The camera shake plug-in I use has rotation as part of the options, it's a very subtle addition (less that a degree in either direction, although maybe a little more in the "barrel roll" direction) but just gives it that little bit more realism over just shaking it.

    Yes mate you're right :); the camera shake is on three axis (no rotation) ... just for curiosity which camera shake plugin are you using?
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    andcar1969 wrote: »
    Yes mate you're right :); the camera shake is on three axis (no rotation) ... just for curiosity which camera shake plugin are you using?

    It's a Lightwave one called "Jolt" if I remember rightly. It basically gives you the option of a magnitude and duration and more advanced features let you control the axis a lot more. It's quite good because the motion doesn't appear as a keyframe and you can move the camera however you like and still keep the shaking. Because it can be applied to any object, I also used it on an engine to simulate it shuddering and starting up. A very useful thing.

    I used it on this vid. You can just about see how the camera rotates too, although I'm not convinced I timed it perfectly: YouTube - Dreadnought
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Ah the one where I pointed out his walk cycle looks bizarre :p
  • MephMeph171 Posts: 0Member
    Looking much, much better indeed, although the die-off is perhaps just a tiny tad to long, a 1/4 of a second or 3-5 frames or so.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Kadaeux wrote: »
    Ah the one where I pointed out his walk cycle looks bizarre :p

    Yeah... I need to kind of redo that thing entirely from scratch at some point because the joints just didn't work very nicely with the IK. But you have to face it, they didn't exactly model something that could actually walk!!!!!! :flippy:

    Anyway, the point was to just show off the shaking plug in for the camera, which I'm quite impressed with, not my less than dapper animation skills, which I'm not terribly impressed with. I've just meant to demonstrate the Jolt plug-in, I'll stop the hijacking.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]0 Posts: 3Member
    I've seen camera effect on your video (it's really a good work :)); there's only a strange behaviour of the right leg during walk but I see you're working on this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]0 Posts: 3Member
    Back to the battlebarge for a low-poly version wip rendering composition. Most of the polygons reduction work will be done on weapons and central structures (with details) ... I hope to contain polycount under 700/800 K in the final version ... I hope :)

    2ywxpcp.jpg
  • liam887liam887210 ViperPosts: 547Member
    nice andcar cant wait to see the high poly clay render when its ready ,ake sure you make it nice and big (1680*1050) so I can have it as my wallpaper! This model has progressed so well and I know your really going to do it justice, apart from the little bits and bobs what else have you got to do modeling wise?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]0 Posts: 3Member
    liam887 wrote: »
    nice andcar cant wait to see the high poly clay render when its ready ,ake sure you make it nice and big (1680*1050) so I can have it as my wallpaper! This model has progressed so well and I know your really going to do it justice, apart from the little bits and bobs what else have you got to do modeling wise?

    Thanks, I need a 64 bit OS for your demand :). Regarding modeling ... only detailing work; most of it on central hull and head of the ship ... maybe restyling some parts but I don't know yet.
  • liam887liam887210 ViperPosts: 547Member
    really you need a 64bt OS to render that size! never knew that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]0 Posts: 3Member
    liam887 wrote: »
    really you need a 64bt OS to render that size! never knew that.

    Yes, you're talking about high-poly version rendering that, at the end, will count (i hope) 1.6/1.7 Mpolys. 32-bit Vista OS manages less than 4Gb memory (it's not sufficient for the renderer raycaster engine :(). For this reason I also have the low-poly version. On top of that, my rendering engine doesn't work well with the last version of 3DSMax.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Buy yourself a new 64 bit system with 4 cores and 16Gb of RAM, you don't need to eat or pay rent this month. :p

    But a slightly reduced version is always useful to have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]0 Posts: 3Member
    Armondikov wrote: »
    Buy yourself a new 64 bit system with 4 cores and 16Gb of RAM, you don't need to eat or pay rent this month. :p

    But a slightly reduced version is always useful to have.

    It's not necessary mate ... I'll steal Fractalsponge computer ;)
  • fractalspongefractalsponge251 Posts: 1,087Member
    I have an 8-core system, thank you very much. Too bad 4gb ddr3 dimms are too $$$ though.... :)

    Have you tried playing with the Dynamic MSP option in FR?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]0 Posts: 3Member
    I have an 8-core system, thank you very much. Too bad 4gb ddr3 dimms are too $$$ though.... :)

    Have you tried playing with the Dynamic MSP option in FR?


    8-core system ... I envy you :D. Thanks for suggestion :), I've taken a look to that renderer option but it seems it doesn't work for me, anyway I'll try more in depth in combination with other engine parameters.
  • ScathaScatha0 Posts: 0Member
    Uhmm, I believe there is a hack that allows XP and Vista 32-bit to use more then 3.2Gb. Found that out after I switched to XP pro 64-bit... (Yes, with a quad core processor, 1Gb graphics, 1 Tb hd space and 4Gb ram. Built it myself.)

    Very nice work on that Barge, Andrea. :)
Sign In or Register to comment.