Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DW40K Black Templars Battlebarge

• Seems pretty high. You might want to give the normal skylight a shot. For key, use an fR area light and play with the size until you get a shadow sharpness/density you want, or just use a raytraced omni if you want solid shadows.

I've used a similar lighting system in the wip rendering posted in the first pages of this thread: a yellowish key and a bluish fill area lights with soft shadows. These are only wip (even if high-quality) renderings
    The lighting setup for the final composition will depend on the scene setting type (maybe intra-atmosphere with volumetric clouds as shown in previous post)
  • Well, it's time to assemble the battlebarge wing, pod and the fresh-modeled engines group

2nunc0h.jpg

mmydr4.jpg
  • cant wait till it all comes together! :)
  • eh eh, have patience mate, maybe that day will come :).
    Meantime, I'm working on the rear "rudder" and supplementary geometry for its correct assemblage ... model update very soon.
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. I'm liking this more and more.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    *grabs snack, beer and waits patiently...*
  • UK-BladeUK-Blade331 Posts: 0Member
    This is looking sweeeeeeet!!

Looking forward to the final assembly and some texturing. :thumb:

No pressure, just get it done!!! ;)
  • Really thanks, glad to see you like it :).
    Before rear rudder and main body assemblage test here is an update of the bottom deck; there's a lot of work to do on it but the final global structure should be this (notice that it will be rotated by 180 degrees).
    Meanwhile I'm testing a complex metal shader for the battleship hull trying to mantain the original Black Templars colours scheme (a very preliminary rendering follows)

25834uv.jpg

11vkweo.jpg

16jii68.jpg
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    ambiant occlusion with ?

did you uved those parts ?
    I' guessing Vray dirt, but the dirt settings seem a bit too harsh. Y'know it's actually possible to invert the dirt so it appears on the edges instead of the creases. Seems like a perfect way to highlight a black space ship. ;) Dirt and rust won't display well anyway on black so best to go for the highlighted, weathered look.
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Impressive modelling! ItA’s a dammed fine work. :)
  • Starship, you're welcome and ... many thanks , glad to see you like it :).

Meph, what you're saying is in my intentions; dirt shader (FinalRender fr-dirt shader doesn't have that option) use in this context is not linked to its natural function but to the necessity to bring out details otherwise difficult to notice on a black surface ... anyway, it's hard to talk about dirt or weathering for an object in space :) so, the issue is still open and I'll resume once the modeling phase comes to an end (I'm also thinking to write my own shader, a sort of "Anything Goos" plugin developed by Digital Cravers Guild for Carrara and Lightwave).

Regarding modeling phase, another step ahead with the test assemblage of main body, upper & bottom deck, rudder and wing with pod

t015le.jpg

rs4g78.jpg

jg2rsp.jpg
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Now that's the money shot we've all been waiting for. It definitely looks good all stuck together like that.
  • IainBIainB331 Posts: 0Member
    Oh my GOD! wow man, this is EXCILENT!
    40K ships always look hard as nails!
    You've done such a good job here mate, looks incredible.
    Can not wait to see the finished model.

*drools in anticipation*
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    wow come back from ibiza and everybody has such cool work! Been waiting for you to fit together all the pieces and it looks great, what refs are you using I would like an idea of what it looks like when its done?
    By the Blueprints of the Omnisiah! You're going to write your own shader? I'll be standing in line, uttering binary prayers, to try that one out too. Impressive! :O

And the ship is looking awesome, just awesome!

@Liam887: Hehehe, that's right! Enough binge-drinking, partying and trying to get laid, back to your keyboard! Summer is fleeing, winter is slowly coming over the horizon, time for some Bitsing and Byting in 3D land. ;)
    By the way mate are you going to use my Battlebarge Hangar or??? (Its in the downloads section but i've been having trouble uploading it in other formats...)
  • Really thanks for the comments mates :).
    Liam887, I bet you had fun at Ibiza :cool: ... regarding battleship reference pics, all you have to do is a "space marine battlebarge" google search, there's a lot of material there.
    Meph, you hit the target ;)

Ok, some updates here and there on battlebarge. I've done a low-poly version of CIWS (now 3 Kpolys against original model 70 Kpolys), added early gothic windows on central body, redesigned the macrocannon site and done a preliminary test with bombardment cannons turrets (high-poly version to modify) on site.

2cohmvn.jpg

358tcic.jpg

o8b4sw.jpg
  • MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
    Simply beautiful, do you have any references for those cannons?
  • Thank you Morpheus, for the cannons the starting point is the Imperial Guard Banesword tank (subsequently freely modified by me) while the turret design is all mine.
    It's been brought up elsewhere but one good reference is this one:
    Lance Turret by ~The-First-Magelord on deviantART

This is the Banesword so you can get an idea:
    http://usagi3.free.fr/IMG/jpg/BaneSword_873x627.jpg

But basically andcar has put a lot of original thought into this while still retaining a great 40k look. Which is pretty cool.
    wow I didnt know the ship was so epic, I think this picI found sums it up, Space marine battle barge image by damaddok-junk-pile on Photobucket
    id love you to do a render in this style of your ship coming out of the warp when your done, maybe using kadeaux's warhamer ship to show off its scale also!
    Yeah ibiza was great thanks my brains still not working right yet and my eyes take about 20 mins to focus on a screen and I wont even get started on my ears and the strange noises I keep hearing ,damn speakers so loud lol so I better lay off the modeling for another week!.

I have a quick question tho, what powers these beasts, do they use some type of nuclear power, even though I can imagine thousands of slaves in the underbelly of the ship shoveling coal into huge furnaces lol.
    sorry posted twice delete this one!
    liam887 wrote: »
    wow I didnt know the ship was so epic, I think this picI found sums it up, Space marine battle barge image by damaddok-junk-pile on Photobucket

Ahem, thats an Emperor Class Battleship called the Divine Right, the flagship of Lord Admiral Ravensburg of the Imperial Navy. Nothing Space Marine about it :p
    id love you to do a render in this style of your ship coming out of the warp when your done, maybe using kadeaux's warhamer ship to show off its scale also!

Well more progress on mine should be done soon, a mate of mine on another site is doing the statues I asked him for and they should be nearly done.
    I have a quick question tho, what powers these beasts, do they use some type of nuclear power, even though I can imagine thousands of slaves in the underbelly of the ship shoveling coal into huge furnaces lol.

Plasma Reactors.
    liam887 wrote: »

Raw narrativium. It's a highly effective power source, providing limitless amounts of power for long periods of time without refueling, but it is quite prone to instability at the wrong moment. It'll tend to overload and shut down the reactor when the ship passes through a region of unusual interest but has a trade off in that it won't fail at all regardless of how badly the ship is damaged, providing the Captain wants to make an heroic last stand. Ships that run on narrativium have a fuel consumption rate that is directly proportional to the importance placed on the ship arriving at its destination on time.
    ^Hehehe Good one Armandikov! :D

Indeed, fluff-wise there's no real consensus on the techno-babble side of the space ships.
    I'm currently reading the fifth Soul Drinkers (I'd recommend that series btw) and there they mention fusion reactors for the 'standard ships' and tehre's one mechanicus ship that's specifically mentioned to have obscure, powerful- and highly efficient-but-long-forgotten-how-to-make plasma reactors. But I can just as easily imagine a 40K's ship reactor to be fueled by burning daisies and puppy-dogs...
  • Kadaeux, Armondikov and Meph, you are my salvation :), you've done your homework ... shame on me !!! I think it's time to read something on the argument.
    I'll post very soon updates on central and main body (windows restyled) as well as an assemblage test with bombardment cannons and lance batteries on their first floor sites.
    @Meph: The problem with the soul-drinkers novels there is the fact that EVERY other 40k book mentioning ships comments on their Plasma Reactors at some point. Even Titans use Plasma Reactors.

EDIT:

In short when it comes to discussing the "naval" side of 40k i'm probably the biggest authority here! BY ORDER OF THE INQUISITION! (Who actually have a few cloaking devices.)
    Oh, it just popped into me head it did... I'm currently gamesmastering a Dark Heresy 40K campaign and I've got the new Rogue Trader rulebook in pre-order from amazon since ages. I read that there is going to be a rule set in it to create your own space ships for the players to explore the Galaxy in. That book should at least have some decent info on the technical(game-mechanical- side of the vessels.
    Come to think of it, the Battlefleet Gothic (boardgame) books should have should have some technical fluff too, no?

And if the Inquisition is getting involved, I'm walking lightly on my toes... wouldn't want to be chucked in a holding cell aboard a Black Ship... I cherish my impure soul like the little mutant it is...

*EDIT* Hmmm, to confuse my own previous post... I was just thinking about the first real Tokamak fusion reactor caller ITER that they're building in France. Basically the fusion reaction creates plasma that's held in place with powerful magnetic fields because of the million-degrees-celsius-as-hot-as-the-sun issue...
  • Meph wrote: »
    *EDIT* Hmmm, to confuse my own previous post... I was just thinking about the first real Tokamak fusion reactor caller ITER that they're building in France. Basically the fusion reaction creates plasma that's held in place with powerful magnetic fields because of the million-degrees-celsius-as-hot-as-the-sun issue...

"In the ITER Tokamak, temperatures will reach 150 millionA°C - or ten times the temperature at the core of our Sun" (from ITER website).
    I'm perfectly agree with the aims of the project, nuclear fusion should be the only energy source for the future, waiting for something new from anti-matter (it's the best known energy source thanks to its energy per unit mass value that is at least 2 orders of magnitude greater than the best known nuclear fusion reaction).
    Today, the main problem to overcome for using antimatter as fuel (in space travels, for example) is that only a very small fraction of the matter/antimatter annihilation reaction would contribute to the propulsion (see the "Redshift rocket" idea)