Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DChildren of Sol WIPs

• cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    I like it quite a lot so far and really like the diagonal white lines on the main hull. I would also add some more perhaps on the forward hull like the example of the Bismark.
  • dreamwalkerdreamwalker179 Posts: 189Member
    cavebear wrote: »
    I like it quite a lot so far and really like the diagonal white lines on the main hull. I would also add some more perhaps on the forward hull like the example of the Bismark.
    Ah, I wasn't really expecting any new feedback so I went ahead and generated the scene...
    Also, I think by forward hull, did you mean the rear?
    The part without the stripes contains the propulsion systems
    deccideon8-4.jpg

Not 100% sure on the missile system yet.
    holdtheline-small.jpg
  • SyklonSyklon0 Posts: 0Member
    Dude, nice scene! The lighting and general atmosphere is especially nice. Could you do some shots of just the ship more lit? The last several have been too dark for me to really make out much.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Ah, I wasn't really expecting any new feedback so I went ahead and generated the scene...
    Also, I think by forward hull, did you mean the rear?
    The part without the stripes contains the propulsion systems

Oops, yep that is what I meant :D
    By the way, absolutely beautiful scene. This is a great ship that makes it easy to create great pics:thumb: It's photogenic if you will :p
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann610 Posts: 1,271Member
    I cannot WAIT to see what this all adds up to.

Chris
    Syklon wrote: »
    Dude, nice scene! The lighting and general atmosphere is especially nice. Could you do some shots of just the ship more lit? The last several have been too dark for me to really make out much.
    Sure

It's a bit more low poly than I would have liked and there are a few texture errors now that i've had some coffee, but it'll do for what I need it for atm.

deccideon10-10.jpg
    deccideon10-11.jpg
    deccideon10-12.jpg
    deccideon10-13.jpg
    Ah, nice, thanks. Reminds me a bit of the crew transport ships in Homeworld 2.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    The textures look good! Nice homeworld-ish touch :)
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    Magnificent work as always! I think the only problem with the missile system might be that you would need something in addition to the drive flares to distinguish them. Maybe have one or more missiles set in the foreground against the flares so you can see their shape in silhouette.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    That looks really awesome with textures ! :thumb: I didn't get to play Homeworld but your ship does really feel like it belongs in that universe (watched some vids and screens in the past so I know a bit :p ). Anyway the lighting also deserves a line because it really brings out the best of the models :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Great work so far!

Your newest ship does have a Homeworld-feel to it, but I would take that as a compliment as I think Homeworld has some of the coolest craft designs I've ever seen.

Looks like a cross between the Hiigaran transports and the Chimera station =)

Chimaera_Station_1.jpg
    Chimaera_Station_2.jpg
    Heh, I think my subconscious has soaked up so much of the design from homeworld, I probably don't realise it any more :D

Hmmm,

/me ponders the design of the next ship....
    Ok.
    A new year, a new set of models. This one is called gyoshi, it's an interceptor about 60m wide.

I've just made this mock up to give myself an idea of the proportions, I'm reasonably happy with it although it may change a lot though construction.

The final design will be a lot more 'bulbous', shiny and sleek with a lot of inspiration coming from the Seraphim Units in Supreme Commander : Forged Alliance.

gyoshi-preview.jpg
  • OzylotOzylot332 Posts: 0Member
    Nice! I like it! Which way is the front though?
    Ozylot wrote: »
    Nice! I like it! Which way is the front though?
    Ah, forgot to put the direction on travel on that one...
    gyoshi-d.jpg
    Wicked :D I just love your surreal shapes for the ships :thumb: Can't wait to see more of this one !
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    nice. Very nice.
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    I saw this on your DA page tonight. I was a little unclear on how it all came together at first, but the 3D stuff you've added here help with that. It's less asymmetric than I first supposed, for one thing. It has a very dynamic shape that we don't often see in more mundane "plane that flies in space" fighter craft.
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Just had a 7 hour session. Spent most of it fixing mesh errors.
    Still alot of mesh errors left to fix but at least the vessel is starting to take shape.

I'd say 15% done so far :D

gyoshi2-preview.jpg
    Looks better than the drawing :D Awesome work dreamwalker, keep it up ! :thumb:
    I feel like i've created every single vertex on this model from scratch. So many mesh errors corrected and so much more modeling left to do.

Anyway, he's an update.

Let me know what works/doesn't work for you. I'm trying to figure out how the main weapon will work/look like.

Most ships created by Lyeada systems use "Arc weapons", which is basically lightening in space... (oh lightening in space, impossible you say??? Lets just say that the energies involved are great enough to cause the condensation of stray background-radiation photons into matter, before subsequently conducting peta-electron volts worth of charge!)

So, how will a lightening gun (Wand?, Ribbon? Laser? Taser?) look like? One option is that most of the reflective surface of the ships hull would infact be the weapon surface...

Also, texturing this mofo, any ideas? I feel the front could do with some decent texturing, although the reflective metallic look should be prominent...
    Cheers

gyoshi5a.jpg
  • IgnusFastIgnusFast0 Posts: 0Member
    Bad-ASS! That thing is awesome looking! I love the odd shape - it looks gangly and deadly at the same time...
    Agreed. The description of the weapon system makes me think of something looking like Halo's plasma rifle.
    thanks for the comments guys, the plasma rifle looks like a good place to start.

I may have another nap before picking this one up again. Hopefully I can figure out some stuff in my sleep.
  • AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    nice fighter.

you could also add a small ion-emitter to create a bridge for the current an as source of the glow of the lighning ;)

and conventional propulsion systems of the target-ships should emitt enough atoms into space to create the bridge.

btw, you should really use thumbnails... take ages to load those pages...
    I might start using image host, and saving out the images at a lower res from now on Annihilator.

Anyway, 90% of the modelling is now done, I'm just about to pass out so here's some updates...

The capsule seen below the nose of the vessel is an entry plug, it's about 6-7 meters tall and it's there as reference to the ships scale.

gyoshi7-2.jpg

gyoshi7-5.jpg

gyoshi7-6.jpg

gyoshi7-7.jpg

gyoshi7-8.jpg

gyoshi7-9.jpg
  • AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    entry plug... loool

but nice idea picked up from one of the most famous animes ever ;)
    Here's the model with some realistic lighting.

gyoshi-teasersmall.jpg
    Oh that's looking rather sexy right there, although a bit dark to make out much.
  • tan.jtan.j183 East JapanPosts: 100Member
    I was distracted by busyness and was forgetting a check of this thread for a long time...

I love this design which includes many Y-like shapes/outlines :cool: