Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DUSS Unknown BG ship (JJ Trek)

BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,284Member
edited May 2013 in Work in Progress #1
So I saw the Trek movie today and you can catch a glimpse of a four-nacelled starship, I devoted that shot to memory and have drawn that ship down best as I could remember. The rest is conjecture of what I believe to be are the ship's proportions (yes, the top nacelles on the first drawing are too short, I thought for a while they might have been shorter nacelles, but now I believe they are all equal length).

Thought you guys doing mad work with the Kelvin and new Enterprise would be wanting another Trek ship to do, or maybe this will inspire you all for new ideas. I just know that when I saw this ship, I had a little tingle for it and I hope you out there do to, despite my drawing ability.

Chris
67832.jpg
Post edited by BlueNeumann on
Tagged:

• FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    even though you say your drawing ability is low I have to say you did a good job. I haven't seen the movie yet... but will do so as well and it is great to know that there are multiple new designs featured in it.

Will you eventually work this one out? Since you alreade have a very decent base worked out.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,284Member
    Well, i'm actually a pretty decent artist (I've got the Deviantart gallery to prove it) but I'm garbage for some reason when it comes to Star Trek ships (as were many of the Trek comic artists from the 90s and 80s).

I think I'll work out some little details for where the darn shuttlebay could be but... I can't even get the perspective right, so it'll he a bit of trouble. I was just hoping the sketch could inspire the group at least.

I'm just annoyed I can't remember the look of another prominent ship in the movie. I won't spoil which.

Chris
  • trickytricky0 Posts: 0Member
    screen shots from flare, 4 nacelle ship no2&3, possible 7, but that just looks odd:
    st09ships.jpg
  • christianSchristianS0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi,

If you go to

Star Trek | Official Movie Site | In Theaters May 2009 | Star Trek Movie

->dosiers->federation

You can see this ship docked to a space station.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Cheers, Chris! Though the size of the ship in the picture is equal to the time of the ship in the movie. That is to say, just a glimpse.

Chris
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    We're not seeing the ventral side of the four nacelle ships (I see at least two of them). I wonder if it's some sort of hybrid with the Vulcan ring drive from Enterprise.
    No, it wasn't a ring drive, just one long curve to hold all four nacelles... sort of if you streamlined/JJ-ified the Reliant, so that the curve holding the torpedo launcher continued to the nacelles.

Chris
  • onealoneal0 Posts: 0Member
    Just saw the movie. The ship your talking about looked to me like the upper nacelles were warp engines while the bottom 'nacelles' looked like two primary hulls.
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    I concur, I believe it's supposed to be the Farragut.
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    I may be wrong, but it looked to me that the top "roll bar" was separate from the pylons that held the bottom hulls/nacelles. Right before the Enterprise sees the ships shoot off into warp, it gives a good view of the back-end of it...

I can't wait for some good CGI images of these to surface. The ones from the ST site posted a few above show the space station well, but not the ships...

CMills
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    sorry for the double-post...

I also noticed that as the "Jellyfish" tries to escape from the Narada, there are several ships on landing pads all throughout the Narada. Upon these looks to be several ships, some looking like Romulan Warbirds, and one or two look like the Vulcan landing craft from ST:FC.
  • juanxerjuanxer331 Posts: 0Member
    John Eaves seems determined to make the production designers of ST-XI participate in his blog, so watch his space: Eavesdropping with Johnny
  • TholanTholan0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm in agreement with oneal. I just went to see the film yesterday, and I would say that two of the four nacelles are similar to the kelvin secondary hull. I'll end up seeing it again later today where I'll be paying more attention.
    Thanks for the Eaves link. I didn't ene notice that Starfleet Academy was also Sky High. Brilliant.

Thanks for that blog link, I've been going through the pages and found an image I'd been looking for for AGES!

Chris
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I remember being stuck by this ship during the movie.
    Really and interesting design, with that "arc" to support the four nacelles. Well drawn as a sketch from memory ;)
    Thanks... hopefully someone wil 3D skills will endeavour to try it, or at least be inspired by it. I do wish I had remembered the look of the Maru (that'll be the next viewing, I guess).

Chris
  • juanxerjuanxer331 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for that blog link, I've been going through the pages and found an image I'd been looking for for AGES!
    Glad to be of help. I'd encourage you to check his list of links to other blogs: it seems he and Doug Drexler are managing to get several of their Trek productions colleagues to create blogs and exhibit their treasures.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I do not believe it has 4 nacelles, I saw the movie for the 2nd time today and the bottom two structures have shuttle bays. It does make you wonder though?! If there are twin secondary hulls is it possible this ship has twin warp engines?
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Anthony is right, that ship has dual engineering hulls, not four nacelles. As for the warp reactor... I actually can't think of a reason why not. It's already obvious that the reactor is made up of more cores than we have seen before, judging from the tubes (four or eight?) that are jetisoned.
  • ParagonParagon0 Posts: 0Member
    I can confirm, its two nacelles on top, two secondary hulls on the bottom. I've got a blueprint underway already, obviously they're pretty rough, but I'll update them since I'm going to be making cardmodels of the ships soon. Right now I'm calling it USS Hood.

th_Hoodcopy.jpg

There's also the three-nacelle ship I'm calling Farragut for now.
    th_Farragutcopy.jpg

I can post...erm...evidence....if you want.
    Oh, that means there are three ships of this class in the Starbase image, btw.
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    I've been looking over a cam version (seen it thrice at the cinema :)) of the movie to try and block out the shapes, it seems to have a half saucer with nacelles held on extended beams, just did this quickly.
    68240.jpg
    There's already a CAM version? It must be the blurriest thing in the world, they shoot those things with autofocus cameras and all those lens flares must upset that.

Anyway, cool blueprints, all.

Chris
    Actually, the cam versions aren't very bad at all.

I'm just using them for references personally though, I'll definitely be getting the DVD.

Anyway, here are some images I pulled from it, that should shed some light on the shape of it.

th_Sequence02.jpg
    th_Sequence03.jpg

You can see the rollbar between the two nacelles on top. After a closer look though, you're definitely right about the half-saucer, with the edges off the side. I don't think the extension parts are round like you have them though.

I'm pretty confident its all Kelvin style parts though. So essentially a kitbash. I wonder if that means it has four warp coils?
    Wow, provided that black frame isn't around the entire picture, that IS a pretty good res cam. Having said that, get the DVD or Blu-Ray when it comes out, but I take that as the rule of thumb for people who download movies, but that's not really a discussion for this forum.

Well, I was wrong, what can I say? Though I do like my design for the universal rollbar, that ship has a real heavy tanker look to it, sort of like the Akira class of the Nuverse. I'm surprised how big the nacelles are.

You say Kelvin parts but it looks a little sleeker than those parts, sort of a halfway point, I can see those that the stardrive section has that same little light part that the JJ-prise has. I'm a big disappointed that the nacelles aren't connected to the stardrives directly since you would think the engineering guts are in there. It could stand to be a little more streamlined and elegant, but since it's a background ship, I guess it doesn't matter.

Chris
  • universaltimuniversaltim0 Posts: 0Member
    Wheee! Man, is there any other caps from that particular scene? As a lover of starships, this just makes my day (also, the four shots and six beers might be helping too). Where did you find the cam version? I might want to do some screencaps of my own.
    I got a few different versions from Demonoid. So far, the Lynks version was best for getting screencaps. And no, the black frame is not included, it comes from Adobe Premeire.

As for more, I only have two I guess that would be pertinent here. One is the starbase shot and the other is of the three-engined ship, both of which the starbase wallpaper rendered sort of obsolete now. Speaking of which, I realized I made the two outer nacelles on that one too long in my blueprints, they're significantly shorter than the middle one.

th_Sequence07.jpg
    th_Sequence09.jpg

I tried getting a third that showed the rollbar on the three-nacelled ship, but to no avail. The wallpaper shows it well enough.

Unfortunately, all of the cams I've seen so far cut off a significant amount of the screen. I recall being able to see the catamaran ship jumping away just before the three-nacelled one in theaters, as well as being able to see much more of the three-nacelled ship. There might even have been one of those smaller ships of the third design, which you can't see well in the starbase wallpaper.

Going over the evidence, I'm actually sort of surprised. I expected more than just three different classes to be accompanying Enterprise in that fleet, but there appear to be no more than that.
    Thanks... hopefully someone wil 3D skills will endeavour to try it, or at least be inspired by it. I do wish I had remembered the look of the Maru (that'll be the next viewing, I guess).

Chris

Not familiar with the Maru, what was it?

Edit: riiiight, Kobayashi Maru. That would be the first time we've actually seen that infamous ship, wouldn't it? I'll go back and get a cap.

Just a heads-up: I went back and tried getting a good image of the Maru, but the top's cut off in every attempt. I'm still convinced there's more of it to be seen at the actual theater, and for release.
    The Kobiashi Maru, the test ship! Maybe ten minutes before the scenes you posted (BTW, that shot of spacedock says ALL about the quality of the cam, it's almost oblong!), Kirk is eating an apple on the simulator bridge, and you see Klingon ships exploding and this long ship in the background, that's the infamous Kobiashi Maru, you GOTTA post pictures of that, sir.

Chris