Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dmy bsg animation

1235»

• markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFjFZXZcI8Y

Cheers Armondikov.. refining the cameras is an ongoing process... and will probably be one of the trickiest jobs.. like you said getting it to feel natural is not as easy as it sounds....

Had another go at the FTL effect. thought id post this, even though most of the element of the comp arent in there you get the idea... its getting there.. I'm looking at ways to os the exhausts from the vipers aswell..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFjFZXZcI8Y
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    The camera on that last one feels a lot better. Replicating a natural feel is difficult, if you saw Derren Brown predicting the lottery, you could tell it was a motion controlled camera because the movement was very 2 dimensional and deliberate. I suppose if you have a video camera or phone or digital camera that does video, you could take that out, play with it and see what it looks like.

But did you ever see some of the making of features for Star Trek? as JJ Abrams physically shook the real life cameras himself to get the shaky action shots, the CG artists built a miniature version that they could shake, translating and recording that motion into camera movement in the computer. A very cool and effective solution, although I'm not sure if anyone at SFM would be able to replicate it as the effort-to-awesome ratio might not be worth it.
    i did try having a noise map driving the shake of the camera, which on its own looked great. but it made the camera realy difficult to animate with, so yea its going to be a case of refining and refining the animation... in retrospect i should have set up a camera rig up propperly before i..... saying that its not too late to do that... might have a go see what i can come up with...
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Can you not do something like animating the basic movement of the camera with a null object, then parent the camera to it and have the "noise" appear there? Then you can move it and animate it fine, and in principle switch it on and off and control in better. Anyway, there are probably 101 ways of doing this, I've enjoyed doing camera shakes in After Effects recently, I suppose it's whatever you feel is easiest but definitely don't be too afraid to strip it out and try a different method just to see what it's like.
    yes, thats exactly how ive done it.. 2009 has a camera shake node on the camera, that you van map a noise to. so ive parented a camera to a null object to use to key the cam.... simple realy when you think about it... just a case of keying the niose up and down when needed...

wish id done this at the start.. hehe took all of half an hour setting up....

cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG32WMNcaq8

Ok i'm not going to post every time i do a shot... i promose.. i just get easily excited when i do things hehe.. Comped shot 1.. it looks very dark on youtube.. the frames arent that dark. Its probably 75% finished. but it'll do me for now... so i can just start to get the rest of the shots up this point..
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    It doesn't look all that dark to me. The scene looks really great, although the glow on the background raptor looks like it was just slapped on :p Anyway overall it's really coming along nicely :thumb:
    haha thanks somacruz... i think it was... just wanted a pop as the cockpit picked up a bit of light... but as it stands it looks poo.. so yea.. i'll make that better haha..

Its funny how things dont seem so bad untill someone points it out and you think what the hell was i thinking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wKlLtAda-Y

Just thought id upload this.. a cut of rendered shots 1 and 2.. next onto the big shot 3.. that might take a while to set up...
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Nice job! It's really getting the feel of the show. I would suggest some work on the exhaust material (might be on your list already). That's the part that really sticks out to me right now. Otherwise great job! I'm a big fan of the new series myself as well.