Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dmy own battlestar

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    hi all!

A little update today:

wip33ap6.jpg
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    great update, as always...
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    nilianth wrote: »
    hi!

Here are 2 wireframes:

Man thatA’s a monster!!! Incredible set of details.:thumb:
  • rms8_347rms8_347333 Posts: 48Member
    The size of these renders really explode with detail!!!!!!!!!!

When you've finished it, will you be doing any ortho's &/or beauty shots in this same scale (2.6K x 1.6K) ?

Awesome!!! Just in time for BSG to start next week too!
    thank you all!

that's very encouraging!:)

yes when it's done i'll make very high res renders and very closes views of my battlestar!
    little update:

wip34yq8.jpg

some close views:

wip37hb9.jpg

wip36si3.jpg

wip35zh7.jpg
    this is an amazing level of details: can't wait to see more!
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    plutot pas mal, ta brouette :)

mon ordi me tue si je lui met autant de polygones
    Fantastic work again. How many poly's you at?
    thank you all!

the polycount of my "brouette":D is actually 664 270 poly.
    mon ordi me tue si je lui met autant de polygones

j'ai connu ca quand j'ai commence la 3D il y a 2 ans!:D Mon ordinateur me limitait a 30000 poly!
    a little update, i did simmetry on the top:

wip38ey9.jpg

imageshack has compressed the quality.:(

the polycount is around 759 000 poly!
    IMPRESSIVE...great details. :thumb::thumb:
    thank you davide!:)
    after a boooooooring day in a bad school :(, a little update, I've finished the top middle part, maybe I will had more details when the model will be finished.I optimised some parts, now the number of polygon has been reduce to756 000 poly. Tomorrow I will star the side part!:p I think i will finish this part in one week, two weeks max.

wip39mg7.jpg
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    jesus talk about perfection the detail down to the last set of ribbing and tubing dammmmmm this is a wonder to talk about
  • ChiletrekChiletrek0 Posts: 0Member
    Hello:
    This ship is wicked awesome! (I am from Chile so I don't really know if those words can be used in the same sentence XD ). But the level of detail of this Battlestar is awesome!, until now I never noticed the ship had small batteries in the upper head section, but I think we can see them in the ZOIC renders of the ship.
    Keep up the amazing work!
    thank you guys!;)

today i've got just the time to do a little unwrap UV with some textures, but i'm a noob in texturing.:(

mattest8bdk4.jpg
    Very well done, can't wait to see more of this Battlestar :)
  • rms8_347rms8_347333 Posts: 48Member
    Yeah, this is drive'n me nutz! This has to be the most highly detailed Battlestar on the web, bar none! From the pics I've seen around the web, your iteration has substantially MORE detail than Zoic......:thumb:

I cannot wait to see the final product!
  • FoehammerFoehammer0 Posts: 0Member
    The detail on the underside of the fore part of the ship (front), looks like you have added generic/repetitive and randomly placed details, which makes it cluttered, and it seems you them there just for cosmetics, which actually takes away from it. It looks like close-to-zero of the details actually serve a purpose, which IMO takes away from the overall model.

Just some critique. Take it with a grain of salt if you will, but keep up the amazing work!

Foe.
    thank guys,
    Just some critique. Take it with a grain of salt if you will
    foehammer, all critics are welcome!

maybe I made too lots of details in the underside of the fore part, but in the Zoic studio's model the level of details is the same, maybe after texturing I will delete some details.
    just a small request, i need help to create a great metal shader for my battlestar, like on these pictures:

pegasus-04.jpg

62310853sf5.jpg

i'm really noob on this and i don't manage to make great materials:(

please! :help:!
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Well I'm a total noob when it comes to textures too but I recently started testing various materials and metal is pretty easy to do - just search on google for a metal texture
    ([edit] gah I posted a link to google but it redirects to a polish google search engine :D Just type in "metal texture" in google - I'm using the one from deviantart - it's very realistic)

Then you should make a copy of the image and add some grain and contrast to it with any program (you can even import it to your 3d program and add the effects) and apply it as a specular and bump maps (with different falloff settings). If you mess around with the options you should get a good effect pretty easy :thumb: especially if you're such a good modeller !
    ok , thank you very much somacruz, i test it at once!
    If you're using 3ds max then we can work together on making a good metal material because I will need one for my ships too :D
    Here is what I was able to do with the most basic metal texture just by applying it on the hull in different ways (many parts are still untextured) :
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/adam145/grafika/artemis79.jpg
  • davidnevuedavidnevue0 Posts: 0Member
    Metal textures are actually some of the easiest ones to make, but they all depend on how much work you're willing to put into them.

The second shot you showed of the Galactica up there, that's not a metal texture persay, it's actually got reflections that line up far more with a semi-gloss paint. Metal typically has a relatively wide reflection (Specular Map) on it with a large hotspot but medium intensity. Depending on type obviously. With metal, you'll also want to make your maps by hand in photoshop or something similar unless you're already VERY familiar with how the Max Shaders work. By this I mean mainly spec/diffuse maps. Diffuse you'll want to pick grays/blues/etc for your base color then dirt with a darker gray/black brush. Spec's it's all grayscale so you can USUALLY take your diffuse map, convert to gray scale, play with the levels and work from there.
    ok, thank you very much guys! I will continue to do some test, your answers are very helpful for me, thank you! you are really cool!:thumb:
    just a little material test, i use blin material with a mental ray dgs map in diffuse slot, in the diffuse slot of the dgs map, i use my texture, for the spec i use my texture with more contrast and custom output curves, in color spec i use my texture. in the scene there are 4 lights, one main sunlight, and 3 second lights with a light grey color and a mutiplier of 0.2.

bsgtestfinaljc5.jpg

and again thank you for the advices!
    Looks great to me ! :thumb: I don't know why you were worried about making the textures :D
    hey thank you somacruz! now i understood how the materials work! i made some tests this morning and finally i found the material i need!

test2flp6.jpg
    may i suggest this: as you can see in the zoic's render, there are some panelling also with textures. I think you could obtain that effect just adding (i don't know the name...lol) a panelled texture, so it gives that effect.