Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D[WIP] Space Marine Rhino mk.IIc

alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Hello all... I've been a long-time lurker here, but this is my first WIP thread... I've been modeling for maybe a year (I currently use Lightwave v9.5), but I have very little free time so it is mainly a hobby, and I haven't actually modelled a whole heckuva lot!

I've been a fan of the Warhammer 40K universe for quite some time (started out collecting the miniatures), and have been somewhat active with a casual 3D 40K related site (3d Heretics :: Welcome)...

Anyway, I've always been in awe of much of the work shown here, so I'm hoping to get some good constructive criticism / comments from the community (gulp!). Over the past few days I started work on a WH40K vehicle - the Rhino, used by the Space Marine army. It just so happens that I'm at almost the same point in the modeling process as UK-Blade is with his recent post! :lol:

Thanks in advance for comments, critiques, and any friendly advice! :)
61168.jpg
Post edited by alpha_omega on

• eternal3ladeeternal3lade0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work Omega, one of the issues that I see however is that the small step leading to the boarding door is a bit small, i'm pretty sure it should be out a bit more (unless it disables the door). Also the three prongs on the top of the door should be a bit skinnier at the ends (just scale them down a bit). Lastly is that a dead polygon in the front top section or just shadow? Anyway very nice work and I can't wait to see more (inside!!??).
  • alpha_omegaalpha_omega0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey eternal3lade! Thanks for the critiques...

I noticed the defective poly on the chassis (there's one at the rear as well), and I think it must be where I used a "thicken" plug-in to basically make the poly 2-sided so that the inside would be enclosed... I'll either rework it or just scrap it and make a separate wall for the inside compartment...

Right now I'm planning on modeling the inside of the troop compartment, but I'm not sure about the driver's area yet...

I'll take another look at the areas you mentioned - thanks!!
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    Very tough, :thumb:.
  • UK-BladeUK-Blade331 Posts: 0Member
    Not sure why you were worried about showing off your work.

It's 'Muy Bien' :thumb:

Nice attention to detail, definitely raised the bar for 40K Rhino's.

Guess I've got my work cut out for me :mad:

Nice Work, be good to see how it comes out.
    Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! I'll post up some more pics when I make some more progress. :)

UK-Blade, your Rhino is really nice as well... maybe we can share some techniques. What application are you using to model in?
  • KadaeuxKadaeux0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work so far matey :D
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work alpha_omega. I really hope you are no longer shy to show off your work to us here. Just keep it coming and we will see it finished one step at a time.
    ok... had a chance to do a bit of work on my rhino. The side assembly is pretty much done, along with the wheels and front of the chassis. I've also done some work on the interior, but haven't been able to get a very good image of it.

I need to tweek some of my settings for the AO I guess... seems too grainy and glare-ey :(

Next phase will be work on the rear door, the roof details, and more interior work... oh, and the tracks...

Comments and crits welcome.... :)
    59836.jpg59837.jpg59838.jpg59839.jpg59840.jpg
    Very nice alpha_omega its turning out quite well. Some areas that you should look into are making some hinges and pistons for the back door as well as putting traction / steps in it (if you hadn't already thought of those). Other than that superb job.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    This is fantastic. There are some really good Space Marine modellers out there and you are one of em!... I'm going to have to start up a thread asking you all to paint your models up in my chapter colour scheme. :)
    Managed to work on the tracks some today.... maybe someday, I'll be able to learn how to animate them! :lol:
    59908.jpg59909.jpg
  • StarSlayerStarSlayer0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice Rhino man thumbs up! Any chance on getting some stowage for the "campaign" look like this guys Sallies: Cyrus goes LOYAL!!!? - WarSeer or are you shooting for a straight from being buffed up by the servitors?
    Nice Job omega, The tracks are especially good and fit together nicely (do they go all the way around or do they stop as soon as you can't see them?). As for animating the tracks this (track tutorial) is a very good tutorial using splines and some controllers.

Eternal
    Very nice looking model there alpha_omega, its coming along really well :thumb:

Pukka tracks (ggrrrr......tracks.....)

And to answer an earlier question, I'm using Maya.

Keep up the good work :)
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    That looks lovely. Is it a trick of the perspective, or my monitor, or my eyes, or is the central piece a little narrow and tall compared to the real model?
    Thank you everyone for your kind remarks! I've finished the overhead doors and some detailing on the roof... need to work on the front roof hatches next. I'll post up some WIPs when I get a chance!

@eternal3lade... I've still got to do a lot of work on detailing the rear door... the pistons are a great idea - I just don't know how I would animate them. I've yet to do anything involving animation with my 3D models, and am rather intimidated by the whole animation "thing"... :(

...as for the tracks, they only go as far as they are visible - I did not model the links that you can't see. I appreciate the link on the tutorial for animating them! I've seen another one somewhere that involved using a morph target or something like that for animation, so I'm hoping I can animate them without having a "complete" set of tracks! :p
    ____

@starslayer... I'm not sure what the final product will look like, but I'm hoping to do a couple of versions - "factory fresh" and "campaign mode". I also want to try and make up a version with the Forgeworld extra armor plates... we'll see how things go!
    ____

@UK... the tracks weren't too bad actually! I just modeled one link, then did an array along the Z axis to get a good length of track... then I just selected all the links up to a certain point and rotated them into place where they needed to "bend".... :)
    ____

@Dannage... I'm not sure whether there is a problem with the scale or not. I'm using a set of blueprints from the Imperial Armor series of books, which might vary slightly from the plastic kit. I'll try and put up a couple more "head on" shots with the next update...
  • ScathaScatha0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey Alpha, I see my ride is nearing the completion stages. ;) Damn good job, mate.
    AH, so you're just cheating with the tracks...;) (that's OK, I probably will too)

Be wary of the Imperial Armour diagrams, they seem to have a few discrepancies.
    A couple of little crits for ya, (1) the end 'teeth' on the rear ramp are slightly larger than the rest and (2) the indented section on the rear sloping face is only a small block, it does not go all the way across. There's a reference shot here
    I know how hard it can be to get decent reference shots...

But other than that 'Top BANANA'

Keep up the fine work brother alpha_omega.

May they light of the Emporer guide your way.
    Not too much progress to report, except for a nice new border for my WIP images... :D

UK-Blade... worked on a couple of areas that you had mentioned (thanks for catching those for me!)...

The roof doors are completed, and the holes for the front hatches are cut out... I know there is an issue with there being no polygons visible in the driver's compartment, but I will fix that later. Right now, I am not planning on modeling an interior for that area, and once the hatch assembly is completed, I don't think it will show up anyway...
    60049.jpg60050.jpg
    Nice border omega, I especially like your signature. Anyway about the model, I was wondering if I could get a render that shows off the top a tad more, because from the current angle it looks like you should widen the gap between the top doors a bit. Other than that keep up the great work.

Eternal
    Well, it's been awhile since I posted any updates, but I went to the in-laws for the Thanksgiving holidays and got to do a good bit of modeling... first up is the basic Rhino... it's pretty much done except for finishing up the interior and figuring out an opening mechanism for the rear door... I was thinking along the lines of some hydraulic piston type things, but I have no idea how I would animate them...

As always, comments and critiques are welcomed! :)
    61156.jpg61157.jpg61158.jpg
    I wasn't sure whether to start a separate thread for each Rhino variant, but have decided to just add them on to this one to keep things "neat and tidy"...

This is the Predator Annihilator variant of the Space Marine Rhino... it is the basic Rhino chassis with a turret added to it. This version is armed with twin-linked lascannons. I still have to model the side sponson weapons which will replace the side hatches of the Rhino... I'll be attempting to do both variants - heavy bolters and lascannons...

C & C welcome! :)
    61160.jpg61161.jpg61162.jpg
    My final update tonight is the Predator Destructor variant. It is similar to the Annihilator (above), but is armed with an auto-cannon and targeting array instead of the twin lascannons...

Again, the side sponson weapons still have to be modeled...
    61163.jpg61164.jpg61165.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool build mate, coming along nicely. And don't forget the Baal variant Predator ha, that's was always a cool one.
    I was beginning to think you'd been lost in the warp or taken into the eye of terror!!

Nice updates, good looking turret on the Predator's.

You gonna be doing any Chaos or Orky versions of any of your models??

Big thumbs up :thumb: :thumb:

Keep up the good work brother Alpha_Omega.
    Extremely well done, I love the details. The only thing to comment on is whether or not you have done the tracks correctly :) if you have congrats, if not it's something to work on but not a necessity.

Eternal
    Thanks, guys!

@Meph - aye, I have the Baal Predator variant in the queue, along with a number of other bitz and piecez! ;)

@UK - I haven't decided whether I'll pursue an Ork or Chaos variation on these... I would like to do them, but I don't know whether my modeling skills are up to the challenge. I wish I could make some cool skulls and such (like binkerman's :p), but I just haven't done any organic modeling yet... plus with all the other things I have planned to model, it would be a long while before I could get to them.

Here's a quick list of planned variants / add-ons:

- Dozer Blade
    - Reworked Chassis and Demolisher Cannon for the Vindicator variant
    - Bigger Dozer Blade for Vindicator variant
    - Turret for Baal Predator variant
    - Sponson weapons for the Predator variants (Heavy Bolter, Lascannon, Heavy Flamer)
    - Razorback weapons (Heavy Bolter, Lascannon, Multi-melta)
    - Radar turret for Damocles Command variant
    - Whirlwind Helios variant
    - Whirlwind Hyperios variant
    - Various chapter doors and symbols
    - Reinforced Armor add-on
    - Storm bolter

Lots to do! And this does not even take into account any of the Adeptus Sororitas variations of the Rhino like the Repressor, Exorcist, or Immolator :rolleyes:

@Eternal - not sure what you mean about the tracks... is there something I can do to improve them? Don't be shy about offering crits on the models, as it is the only way I can learn and improve my skills! ;)
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good alpha_omega. Gotta love the modularity of Imperial vehicles. I'm looking forward to seeing further variants.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Cudos to the chap who will put all those elements in a Cult3d app on a website so one can look at the Rhino in all it's glory and change the different parts with the click of a mouse... :devil:
  • MorpheusMorpheus0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, nice work, I'm also in the middle of making a Predator tank and somehow got stuck in modeling the tank tracks.

Here's mine:
    PredatorWIP01.jpg