Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMk1 Viper

StarkillerStarkiller203 Posts: 80Member
edited April 2010 in Work in Progress #1
Just bought the two Project Viper video tutorials from KURV Studios. While
they are for Lightwave, they are surprisingly easy to follow in Modo. Clay
render of where I am so far. Might try a more difficult Mk2 after I finish the
two tuts for this one. :)

Greywolf

EDIT: Just completed the engine section, now moving on to the
fuselage. Updated the opening pic to show where I am now.
80691.jpg
Post edited by Starkiller on

• StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    ItA’s an excellent start!
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    yes indeed
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Agreed, looks very good so far.
  • StarkillerStarkiller203 Posts: 80Member
    Just finished the wing assembly. Though he mentioned in the tutorial that the
    paneling will be done on the texture in the second part of the tutorial, I
    wanted to see if I could model them instead. SIGH. Now I have to panel the
    rest of it too, or it won't match. Such is life. :cool:

viper_project-clay2.jpg

Starkiller
    58735.jpg
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    One of my all time favourites, looking forward to seeing more. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Excellent start. I modeled one a while ago from some reference pics. No quite finished. Your canopy definitely turned out better than mine! Looks like some good tutorials. Good luck.
    Got the tailfin done and detailed. Including the landing gear will be fun, as the tutorial
    doesn't mention it. I have quite a few references on them, but nothing on gear doors,
    where they enter the ship. If anyone has anything on that, that I don't, please let
    me know. :)

viper_project-clay3.jpg

Starkiller
    BTW, psi_cop, which app did you model that in?

Gallery

Check the above site for awesome CG references on ships from Galactica Classic,
    Galactica Modern, Star Trek, and Star Wars. I used his Viper Mk1 reference for THIS
    baby. :)

Starkiller
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    3D Studio Max. I think I was using v.6 at the time. I will finish it in Max 2008. I will see what reference I have for the landing gear and send it your way. Again, good luck.
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 266Member
    Always great to see more Vipers flying around.. pew... pew pew pew...!!!

Ahem. Sorry. Bye.
    I think you made the right choice in modeling the paneling. It definitely pays off in renders and I don't think there's a colossal amount of it, so it doesn't make renders take forever.
    ^^^ What Pearse said, the only tricky bit is probably deciding if you want to bevel the panel edges so you've got that touch going for you in your renders. Bevels or no though, panel geometry is the only way to go (always, ever, period...)
    Heh, I beveled them all right. :) Here's another. I just finished the rear nurnies. I watched
    him do his in the tut, and modeled my own based on my 5 view reference.

Greywolf

viper_project-clay4.jpg
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good, only small crit is that the exhauts shouldnt taper, they are straight cylinders, if your tutorial has them tapering, they arent following the references right.
    Yeah, the references had them right, I think. In the tut, he made them taper, and I
    followed along. I may redo them because, as you mentioned, the Mk1 doesn't taper
    the exhausts. Got the engine paneling done, a few more details to add there and it's
    on to the fuselage.

Greywolf

Viper-WIP-EnginePanels.jpg
    Pretty fast progress and it's all looking good.

Also, I've never seen Modo in action before. That looks like quite a nice, clean interface to use.
    Modo is LW+, though some things about its interface should be a lot more intuitive than they are and some processes require a step too many. But it's a good app, decent renderer and very good UV tools with the right plug-ins, and this is probably a good tutorial to learn it on, as it's LW based.

So as the wings are paneled, and guessing the top wing is too, how about the fuselage?
    Oh, I'll be paneling the fuselage all right. I don't like the sharp edges on the hull just
    behind the cockpit either, so I redid the fuselage, doing the indent without booleans
    and smoothing the sharp edges. She won't be quite accurate to the Mk1, but there
    are so many Mk1 meshes out there, I don't mine mine being a bit different. :)

Starkiller
    Fuselage paneling done, just some details left to add. Then it's off to look for
    landing gear and cockpit references. :)

Starkiller
    58955.jpg
    Nice cuts. Are you going to tighten up the edges for the angled step/indent aft of the cockpit? That's such a key feature of the ship's plan view, it'd be a shame if it stayed too soft. I know the fuselage was a bit too low res at first, but I think those edges and interior angles could use some shoring up.
    Not sure. Those sharp edges just looked so unrealistic to me. I saved the old fuselage
    so I could do a 100% accurate Mk1, as I have pics of the old studio Mk1 they built
    for the actors to sit in. You see, the nurnies on my current version don't match the
    original at all. I suppose you could call this a Mk1.5. :) I'm trying to incorporate some
    of the stylishness of the Mk2, without actually making it a Mk2. Sort of like an
    intermediate step or something. I saved the original fuselage, and some of the old
    nurnies were done from the studio pics.

Starkiller
    Just about finished the landing gear. Without the references Taranis provided, this
    coulda been ugly. :)

Some screen caps.
    59051.jpg59052.jpg
    Landing Gear finished. Posted some orthographic shots, a beauty shot, and
    the wires for the Gear.

Starkiller
    59074.jpg59075.jpg59076.jpg59077.jpg59078.jpg
    Just finished UVmapping the main areas of the fuselage. I won't know if I did
    it right until I start the texturing phase. Here's what I've done on the cockpit
    so far. The area behind the canopy is being redone, as in the tut, it was
    modeled without an opening canopy in mind.

Eric
    59186.jpg
    Good one. I presume the tutorial goes through the method of texturing as well?
    Actually, Project Viper is two tutorials, one for modeling and UVmapping, and the
    second for texturing. Alas, I added and changed things so much, she doesn't bear
    much resemblance to the tutorial viper anymore. :) The modeled hull, wing, tail, and
    engine panels, the extra detail on the wing, the rear nurnies, the landing gear, and
    the cockpit are all new. The tut got me started, now I can't seem to stop. :)

Eric
    Trying my hand at the second part of the tut, while I work out how to detail the
    cockpit. I finally figured out UVmapping. Hopefully the texturing tut will help me
    with the other hard part of modeling, doing the textures. :)

Starkiller
    59246.jpg
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    great work there hope to see more soon
    Ok, textures on the fuselage and engine casing are done. I just finished
    UVmapping the wings and tailfin. Too tired to start texturing though.
    Gotta catch some Zs as I gotta work tomorrow (today actually) :)

Eric
    59675.jpg
    Took the Viper off my virtual shelf, dusted her off, and am continuing with detailing, UVing, and
    texturing her. One question. Does anyone know where I can get battlestar and squadron logos
    to put on her tail? Wings and tail done here, though I need some logos to finish the tail tex. :)

Eric
    80691.jpg