Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy 3d Daedalus

• DaveKDaveK0 Posts: 0Member
    This is without a doubt one of the coolest Star Trek ships I've seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    awesome, thanks for the info.
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    OK, so I started on the Sphere's outer shell:

132eci.jpg

131j.jpg

It looks like less work than it was -- ever have one of those times when you're halfway done something and you realize you've been doing it wrong? Yeah, it was kind of like that, making this thing. Twice. ;)

I had some more fun making the viewport holes. Ah, booleans, my old nemesis... have at you!

Seriously, though, I was able to line up the window cutout to the sphere fairly well. More or less. As you can see from these wireframes, the results ranged from "decent", to "Hell no" (round portholes!!!):

48530279.jpg

mehe.jpg

ohdeargodwhy.jpg

I'm putting the inner bulkheads on the back burner for now, my graphics card is chugging like whoa with them in the scene.
    I think I'm going to do a very simplified version of the sphere with just the outer shell, a cap for the top and bottom, and a moderately detailed section for where the neck meets the sphere.

Hmmm, maybe for the hangar deck interior, I could do like a separate diorama-style project? Will ponder.
    One more thing: Started on the cutouts on the top and bottom edges. which looks better, this version, with tapered-in edges:

141gbs.jpg

Or this one, with tapered-out edges?

142hhe.jpg
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Hard to say for sure, but I like the first option.
    I love watching this model develop! I think tapered out looks better
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with tapered-out; the tapered-in looks too obviously like I just deleted a chunk of polys from a standard sphere and didn't change anything else...
    Got some work done on a docking bay door today. I may add some greebles here and there, but it's more or less done:

152yvf.jpg

151arc.jpg

With hinges:

153q.jpg

I sort of like how they look, but I'm pretty sure that they don't make any sense if you tried to animate them opening...

One last one that finished rendering:

154u.jpg

Just so you know, the door design isn't completely mine; it's sort of an adaptation from some concept art by James Clyne for the back of a truck in X-Men 3. Have a look at his site, it's kind of nice. *understatement* :D

James Clyne -
  • DamienNZDamienNZ0 Posts: 0Member
    This is going incredibly well. Keep at it mate.
    DamienNZ: Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it. :)

Little update: tewaked the bay door so it has a very small gap around the hinges. Hopefully , this suggests that the hinges are actually useable and don't just clip through the door model...

155a.jpg

Everything modeled so far:

156veu.jpg

I think the detail level on the door is about the same as on the pylon, so I'm gonna call that bit done for now until I go back and add greebles and things to everything.
    This is what they should've used instead of the NX-01.
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    Will those doors actually swing fully open without intersecting the spherical shell?
    D.M.J.: If you mean am I going to animate them opening, not for quite a while cause it would violate my PC in unwholesome ways. If you mean physically, then yup, but it's a bit of a squeeze:

doorcay.jpg

Very rough diagram thingy, but I'm sure you get the idea. :) The hinge bits are supposed to sort of fold into each other. Or at least look like they do.

Thanks, Berle!, Glad you like it.
  • PraetorPraetor331 Posts: 0Member
    My God, this is just amazing work!
    Thanks, Praetor!

Minor update: I got back to work on this baby, and I just finished scribing hull lines for the sphere's outer shell.

Front 3/4 view:

161j.jpg

Rear view:

162icy.jpg

The whole schmear :D:

163app.jpg

Everything's starting to look more or less at the same level of detail (no ten tons of fiddly details crammed into one section, whil another section is utterly blank), so I'm happy. For now.

I just need to figure out a bridge module. Will ponder.
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great carlg will be interesting to see what the bridge module will look like. Perhaps you can add some kind of radar domes along with it and a clear connecting turbolift system.
  • RavenstarRavenstar0 Posts: 0Member
    hey , just came across your posting and the model. very nice view of the design, i also like the the concept design for the bridge , can't wait to see it completed.:)
    Radar domes, eh? funn that you mentioned it...

1701e.jpg

My bridge so far.
    So, the bridge section is more or less done:

172nbj.jpg

The lower dome is starting out as a straight copy/paste, but it's going to need quite a bit of tweak-age to fit properly.

174bux.jpg

I also added a rough outline for the visible inner sections of the sphere around the neck.

173ocl.jpg

:D
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    One of the crunchiest (in a good way) Trek ships I've seen. You don't disappoint, Carl.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Possibly one of the coolest things I have seen in a looong time.

Keep up the great work.
    A quick update: I added a sort of collar to connect the neck and the sphere, and closed off the gaps between the sphere outside and the decks inside:

181mob.jpg

182ezh.jpg

I don't think I'll go too crazy on the detail here; later I'll add just a bit to suggest scaffolding or supports.
    Looks good to me and have to agree that overdoing it might not work here :) you could always add some details when texturing perhaps. So what will be your next part of the ship that you will work on when completing the details? Adding the radar thingies on top of the bridge?
    Most likely I'm gonna do the deflector dish for the Engineering hull next, or possibly the warp engine innards.
    Deflector dish it was. :D

Here's a couple of quick renders (please excuse arsey lighting):

191gwl.jpg

Do you think I should keep that raised edge there? I'm debating.

192mxj.jpg
    I would keep it... it has a nice touch which fits in well with the rest of the design.
    Pretty much finished detailing the deflector dish.

201p.jpg

202i.jpg

I played around with the greeble plug-in a bit; I'm pretty happy with the effect I ended up with (after much tweak-age). Now I just have to add a few bits to the dish support structures, and maybe add some kind of bracing for the antennas.
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    The dish needs more support. As someone once said, "you must construct additional pylons". XD
    You mean, like thicken up the existing pylons? Or add more? Or both?
    So. A new version of the deflector support, vaguely based off of Gabriel Koerner's Enterprise refit:

211nxz.jpg

I'm keeping the old version around for some smaller sensor dishes later -- waste not, etc. ;)