Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Greetings!

Welcome to the fancy new Scifi-Meshes.com! You old username and password should work. If not, get in touch with staff either here, on Facebook or on Discord.

For a quick summary on what's new, check out this thread.
You should also check out the Community Guidelines here.
You can check out most recent posts here or by clicking the handy links on the top menu or the sidebar.

You can dismiss this message by clicking the little X in the top right corner.

3DClassic Space Lego - Galaxy Explorer WIP

1789101113»

• SaquistSaquist0 Posts: 0Member
    Takes me back to a kid.
    I used to have the Lego Explorian Starship. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/walter-kovacs/Review-6932/img_1.jpg

I loved the main weapon that came out the cargo bay in the back. This is when toys were toys.
  • stonkystonky171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks all!

Wow, the Explorian Starship is pretty intricate! I'm afraid that I didn't do much Lego Space collecting after '79, '80. :( That said, I was able to rediscover Lego through the eyes of my son years later - turns out that I still love it as much as I ever did. :) I swear playing with Lego as a kid still plays a big part in my approach to deconstructive problem solving as an adult.

More to come!
  • uniderthuniderth0 Posts: 0Member
    Your renders are amazing. Are you sure you didn't just break out your old Lego kits and photograph them?
    Haha no, the renders don't have teeth marks. :)

Thank you!
  • japetusjapetus862 SeattlePosts: 1,025Member
    Saquist wrote: »
    Takes me back to a kid.
    I used to have the Lego Explorian Starship. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/walter-kovacs/Review-6932/img_1.jpg

I loved the main weapon that came out the cargo bay in the back. This is when toys were toys.

Oh man can I be jealous of that set? :) I grew up with a lot of space police, blacktron, and the iceplanet guys. Still love those sets. I like to still buy a lego set once a year or so if I have some spare birthday money or something, but they don't make them like that anymore...
    I don't think that I ever posted the finished version of this one:

mobile_rocket_transport_deployed_WIP.2.jpg
    104563.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1801832 Posts: 9,995Member
    Dude, that's freaking sweet. If you put that in a realistic room setting, it could look like a real Lego set sitting on a table or desk, or something. :)
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX171 Posts: 0Member
    oh man that are memories. I had this one und some other LEGO Space packs. Long ago .... long ago :)

great work!
  • ComcoComco296 Posts: 1,271Administrator
    Holy crap, stonky. That latest render just gave me a massive dose of nostalgia. I didn't even remember owning that set until I looked at your pic, but seeing it again brought back memories of playing with it at least 20 years ago. Amazing stuff. And fantastic modeling mate. :)
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Love it.

When I was a kid, there was nothing more cool than that transparent yellow lego.

Well maybe microanuts figures, but they were transparent too.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67226 Posts: 1,891Member
    nice!
  • xumucanexumucane0 Posts: 0Member
    I had this set! Wow. Really fantastic job. You even got the background perfect. I would have just assumed this was one of the images from the little fold-out intructions.
    Thanks all, more to come! One of the changes here was that I substituted "medium stone grey" with the original, now defunct, "light grey" color used in the older kits. I want to finally get the baseplates from the Galaxy Explorer set finished this weekend. I have some of the other smaller kits done as well that I'll put together in a wider diorama.

Classic space from the upcoming Lego Movie:

space_lego.jpg

Can't wait! The kit in the background is on my "to do" list. :)
    104598.jpg
    I have the instructions for that kit in the background also. I was going to do it when I was on my Lego kick a while back but I never got around to it. The Lego Movie looks like it's going to be a blast. :D
    Minor update, modeling work on one of the baseplates:

baseplate.jpg
    104607.jpg
    That looks great. :)
  • lennier1lennier1279 Posts: 1,058Member
    Great progress, as always!
    I've always been more a fan of the "City" line of kits and the "Technic" models, but those images bring back some fond memories!
  • WizWiz0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic work Stonky, can feel the love in your modeling ;)
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Always loved that moon plate, you have really done it justice.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    offtopic: anyone else just love how the Classic Space character in the new movie previews has the cracked helmet chinbar? allll my old helmets of that style would break like that :)

ontopic: Stonky, i just love it when this thread pops up again. you know how much i love the lego-modeling!