Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DClassic Space Lego - Galaxy Explorer WIP

• stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Yup, that's the one - good stuff!
    Started some shading work on some of the transparent pieces (I haven't done the non-transparent detail of the cockpit frame artwork yet):

attachment.php?attachmentid=90721&stc=1&d=1306898902
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    wow ... looks great!
  • MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    That looks fantastic, great render setup it looks really good.
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Wow, I thought your renders were the real thing! Beautifully made. Makes me want to go "swoosh!! vrooom!!" all over again like a kid :)
    Thank you, you're too kind - these have been a lot of fun!!! :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very Nice work.
    Thank you - going slowly, as always. :)

A bigger render:

attachment.php?attachmentid=90845&stc=1&d=1307476733
    Looks like you almost finished.
    What left to do on the brick side?
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Can't be much more than the pilot's helmet to do now, surely. It looks perfect.
    Thanks, love the work that you're doing on the supercar.

I'd say that I'm about 80% finished - there are a bunch of parts on the back that I have to get to, the landing gear, finishing the canopy (texture and modeling work), R2, Luke's face, and, like you said, the helmet. Slowly but surely. :)

And because DOF seems to be popular these days...

attachment.php?attachmentid=90864&stc=1&d=1307563564

:)
    stonky wrote: »
    And because DOF seems to be popular these days...

Yeah it is. Looks nice. Although just crank it up to help with the illusion it's a small toy - or down, technically, if you're using F numbers to set it.
    I didn't want to go too crazy with it, but you're probably right, a little more wouldn't hurt.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90870&stc=1&d=1307587217
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work Stonky, the model, materials, and rendering is all superb! :)
  • maranmaran178 Posts: 39Member
    Hey Stonky,
    That X-wing looks amazingly realistic. 2 thumbs up!

Got a few questions as well;
    -Do you use displacement maps for the "LEGO" on the little knobs or is it pure geometry?
    -Can you pump out a really nice render at 3840 x 1080? I need a new background!

Really looking forward to seing this one finished!
    Well, considering the sheer number of polygons required to make the lego logo you'd be silly not to use some form of displacement to make it.

The extra blur is looking good, it really makes it seem like you're shoving a real camera up close to it.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Wow! Nice work Terry!
    these are looking great!
    Thank you! :)

Like Armondikov said, yes, using geometry for the "lego" logo on the studs would be prohibitive, so it's all displacement maps. I've got a system set up where I can turn them all on or off depending on how long I want the renders to take, and because it's the same stud on all of the pieces, the uvs and the displacement shader is already set up whenever I have to make a new piece.

I'll be sure to turn out some bigger renders as things move along, thank you! :)

I've been crazy busy at work recently so I haven't been able to put a lot of time into it but I'm eager to see this one to the end soon with my eye on the Yavin Rebel hanger diorama.
    Work marches on, helmet to come. :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91052&stc=1&d=1308625948
    He looks pretty serious.

And doing the whole hanger would be, in a word, awesome.
    Dam that looks great!
    Looking awesome man!
    I agree with Armondikov though, he should be quite thrilled sitting in there :)

If you're planning on doing the hangar; I do think I've got a Snowspeeder laying around here somewhere :)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great matey, he will be ready to take on the Death star in no time! :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    wow stonks, that looks so real! :thumb:
    Wiz wrote: »
    Looking great matey, he will be ready to take on the Death star in no time! :)

Lego Death Star exploding into a splattering of loose bricks? That'd be pretty fun to do.

EDIT: Actually, just looked up the proper Lego Death Star, I would not envy anyone who tried to make that! It's insane. Cool, but insane.
  • MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    great stuff .
    Armondikov wrote: »
    Lego Death Star exploding into a splattering of loose bricks? That'd be pretty fun to do.

EDIT: Actually, just looked up the proper Lego Death Star, I would not envy anyone who tried to make that! It's insane. Cool, but insane.

Which one?
    There are two, the minifig one and the non minifig.
    The Lego Death Star?
    That's a little puppy compared to this behemoth that's coming out pretty soon:
    sneek peek here
    Thank you, it's been a lot of fun!

@Armondikov: thank you! Yes, the hanger is definitely in the works - I'm working towards the screenshot that I had posted earlier. I've already started to build some of the other stuff in the hanger and set up a camera - it should be fun! And yeah, he looks pretty serious - the Luke minifig has a serious face, I tried to match it, but maybe I went too far...

@Freak: thank you, much appreciated!

@maran: thank you, and thanks for the offer on the snowspeeder. :) No snoespeeders in the Yavin IV hanger, but if I ever get to the Echo Base hanger in TESB, I'll keep it in mind. :)

@Wiz: thank you, you're too kind, as always! :)

@homerpalooza67: thank you! Not quite done yet and there's still some tweaking to do, but I think that it's on the right track.

@MarkyD: thanks!

Some of the Star Wars lego sets are epic! I'd love to do the big Millennium Falcon too! :)