Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNear future mecha universe wips

• MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Arrr crap mate... that's bad news...

So the way I understand it is that as soon as something resource-intensive starts, it freezes up. Freezes completely or severe slowness? If it's heat on the CPU, you'd notice, a fried CPU does diddly-squat. Perhaps the RAM is overheating?

Oh actually... it could be close to the CPU, a mate of mine had the same symptoms some time ago. It turned out that he had a caked layer of dust between the CPU fan and - heat sing. Seriously caked together like a layer of felt 4mm thick so the CPU wasn't cooled properly anymore... Open up your case and remove you CPU fan and check that sh*t out mate. Cleaning might go a long way.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Arr man that sucks
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    It just freezes completely. I hear a weird sound on the headphones, sorta like a little snap and then the monitor image just stops. I tried waiting for like half an hour, it doesn't unfreeze. Either that or the computer literally just restarts.

I cleaned the thing in an out with no effect. I tried removing all the ram pieces in different combinations so thats not the problem. I also took off the wall and stuck a huge fan into the side which didn't work, so I don't think it has to do with cooling. To be honest, this has happened to me once in a while before, the computer is pretty old. But before it happened like once a month or even rarer, now I can't do anything more difficult than using non resource intensive programs like IE or office, or listening to music. The reason I think it's the video card is that it happends in max during operations in viewports such as moving objects, or rotating the camera. I'll go to my sisters place sometime next week and see if I can get some old video card from her, just to see if that's the problem. If all else fails I guess I'll setup max and photoshop on my laptop.

Either way will get to this after the weekend. Going to ottawa for tonight. And tomorrow Armin Van Buuren is coming to toronto :D
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    Berkut Im sorry to hear about the comp probs. It does sound like the vid card to me though. What kind of card are you using right now?
    Don't laugh, Fx 5700, yes my computer is that old, lol.
  • kborakkborak1 Posts: 0Member
    hey listen I had 2 of those cards that ended up doing the same thing, seriously I think it was just that card couldnt handle all the work we put them through for the amount of time we put them through it.

I found a PCi slot 8700 I think. (not sure I only have my laptop with me) but its running like a champ and it was a replacement for my 5700. The card was only 35 dollars. Just a thought.
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Arrr good huntin' matey!

And Armin Van buuren, schweet! :D
    So after a long and painful process I think I more or less fixed my computer issues. It turned out to be both the video card and the power supply. So I'm back at this. For now made another size comparison render since I've changed the proportions of the soviet unit a while back. The european mech looks so skinny in comparison, lol.
    67165.jpg
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh thats sexy, both are very nice, I actually like how the Euro one is skinny compared to the russian one it looks more refined!
    Been a while, heh. I haven't really had a lot of time lately, but I've been looking through some texturing tutorials and the like and I realised that the way I'm doing texturing now using body paint 3d has way too many limitations compared to actually doing proper uv unwrapping and making the entire texture in photoshop. This however also brought me to the conclusion that I'm making 3d models a bit....incorrectly right now, well more precicely I have to make models to suit my current texturing ability from the start rather than making the best model I can and then trying to texture it, which just results in me taking way too much time, it not ending up looking very well, and me eventually giving up. So I also started modelling a new mech (there really isn't much to show yet), but I sorta decided I shouldn't just leave these two behind but rather make some form of textures for them and use these mechs in backgrounds. It's like something between procedurals and a little photoshop/unwrapping. Hopefully they'll hold up unless I really zoom in. Tell me what you guys think (missile launchers not yet textured and it's still missing some markings).
    69169.jpg
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    It's looking good. far better than i could do. You might want to change the colors a bit though. Blue isn't really good at blending in unless you're on the ocean.
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Shes a nice design there Berkut I really like her.
    thanks guys

@salsa, I know, eh? lol. I tried a few different colours and I didn't like the way anything else looked, including dark green. I sorta started thinking though that considering how big these things are blending in isn't really a doable task anyways, and perhaps like different units would have different colours so when the enemy deals with some elite unit that's for example known to be coloured red or blue or something they would know who they're dealing with and turn and run.
    I played around with a possible desert colour a bit more. Also applied textures to the top missile launcher modules. Just realised that the hand is sorta still missing a claw at the end. And one of the hardpoints on the back is still empty (I'm thinking a UAV scout). I also want some sort of squad logo akin to a knight orders crest on the left shoulder shield.
    69194.jpg
  • Mach CritMach Crit0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, I'm impressed (and a bit jealous). My texturing never took on that quality.
    thanks Mach

Made the coat of arms logo today
    69237.jpg
    Nice job on the insignia and the weathering.
    thanks salsa

Made textures for the soviet unit. No markings yet, those are still to come. I also modified the head, I think this design suits the mech much better, and temporarily removed the claws/daggers. I didn't like how the arms looked and I realised they made it impossible to turn the torso while folded. So need to come up with a new set.

Anyways c&c as always welcome.
    69281.jpg
    Added the markings.

Also on the left shown the clear images of the logos. ASU flag, captains rank insignia and the coat of arms of the unit.
    69317.jpg
    Nice. the insignias are looking good. btw When are we going to see that third mech?
    thanks dude. Umm, the 3rd mech? Well when there's at least some indication of how the whole body will look like. Right now its more of a head and a torso. I'm trying to go for more of a sleek design with it which is kind of a new thing for me so it's taking a lot of trial and error.
    Did this for the fun of it. Lance is active and ready to slice through some mech armour, hehe.
    69325.jpg
    Mech jousting :lol:
    That'd be a sight to see. Nice job on the glare on the lance.
    thanks

ok, well what good are mechs if you can't put them into a city image, and what good is a city without a generic constuction zone, lol

what I have so far, crane and something like an "upgraded" version of one of those little bobcat loaders still to come. The ground map is just a temporary noise, I want to position everything before I make the actual map so the tire marks and stuff make sense
    69801.jpg
    hut1.jpg 164.6K
    that bad, eh? :)

Mopped up the construction loader mech today. I tried to keep it under 5k polies since it's really just a background prop, came out at something like 5.3

c&c as always welcome
    69823.jpg
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    I like the concept of the bulldozer mech, but it seems too simple in contrast with the other machines you have here. The shovel needs some kind of hydraulic mechanism (maybe pusher cylinders attached near the front of the mech's torso, closer in than the arms themselves), and the legs need more work. I've always loved industrial, realistic mecha, and this is really great as a starting point. Keep it up.
    Thanks. It is simple because it's really just a small background prop, I wanted to keep it under 5k polygons as I noted above. Below is an image that shows about as close as you'll ever see it, while my mility mechs will be much closer.
    69834.jpg
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    Nice construction site, :thumb:. And the construction mechs are nice too. Good job, :thumb:.
  • JanJaapJanJaap0 Posts: 0Member
    I know it's nitpicking at it's finest (considering they're just background props) but it would add a little extra realism if the buckets were replaced with prongs like on a fork lift and/or suction cups (for the windows).
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    your construction mech reminds me of a construction forklift model i did a while ago on this site http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachments/2d-gallery/64402d1233713827-halo-fleet-profile-sheets-hgl.jpg looking good tho keep it up