Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNear future mecha universe wips

• BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    Finished texturing the particle beam cannon for the kodiak. Let me know what you guys think.
    64713.jpg
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    That's a damn good job on the textures mate! :thumb:
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice work, though are there any scratches on the camera and it's 'cord', doesn't look like there is.
    thanks guys

@Rick, yea there are, but just a few. I didn't want to over do it though, it's already pretty badly scratched up for a piece of military equipment, usually they are kept in shiny shape. Besides you can barely see any of those details at all when you zoom out to see the full mech, and I don't really intend to do any extreme close ups with it when its done :) It's all gonna be full body shot mecha action.
    64735.jpg
    Berkut wrote: »
    thanks guys

@Rick, yea there are, but just a few. I didn't want to over do it though, it's already pretty badly scratched up for a piece of military equipment, usually they are kept in shiny shape. Besides you can barely see any of those details at all when you zoom out to see the full mech, and I don't really intend to do any extreme close ups with it when its done :) It's all gonna be full body shot mecha action.

Ok so what kind of setting is your future timeline for these set in? Is it peaceful or is it a total war setting where there would be massive mech battles daily or even weekly?

Cause if it's weekly or what ever then it'd be scratched and dented to crap and would proberly only get 2 - 4 paint jobs a year as it'd be needed in battle so much, not to mention those 2-4 paint jobs would be for the season changes....
    There's a whole bunch of info a few pages back on the universe including a detailed description of factions and technology. The world is in a state of cold war, with a number of proxy wars happening. This particular mech belongs to the 1st Varyag Guard detachment that rebelled against the soviets, so it probably saw more action than most mechs. I'll prolly make a few repaints of it for other military units once I finish. (It should take a lot less time since the UV mapping and damage textures would be done).
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Very Niced work on the textuering Mate.
    Thanks Dean.

I've played around a little bit with a possible drone design for the britannians. Tell me what you guys think.
    65107.jpg
    D00d! Sweet! Looks good for a drone. Although personally I'd move the air intake back a bit. More room for sensors in the front ;)
    Now that nice.

Me personal would move the air intake to each side of the hull and about half way along the wing.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    i second that :)

and an internal missile/bomb bay on the belly.

and absolutely NO landing gear. this thing would have to drop itself in a kind of net to land
    thanks guys

hmm, the reason I did the intake that way is because modern day UCAV prototypes seem to do that. I can experiment with pulling it back a bit though.

Freak, L2K what do you guys mean? The front little wings? Or the main wings, I don't know if I could put it on the sides of the main wings, it wouldn't give any room for the engine. And I dunno, I mean it has one engine having 1 intake just seems more appropriate (although there has been single engine aircraft with 2 intakes before)

About the internal missile bay, yeah that's obviously coming, along with the landing gear :)
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

not the landing gear !!!!!

the intakes on the main wings of course. dont matter for the engine room. nobody cares about real physics whe it looks cool enough :D
    not too much to show, but I textured the anti mech missile tubes. Also for now I removed the chainsaw swordstaff. I decided I just dont like the way it looks and it messes up the balance of the mech too much. I think I'll approach melee combat slightly differently with this thing, I'll make 2 utility claws and add short forarm attached daggers to them. Not sure about the tech yet, possibly plasma torches.
    65551.jpg
  • Lord ErisuLord Erisu0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work. You gonna be putting pennants or flags, banners or stuff on it?? I think I've been delvin' into the warhammer universe too much. Sorry, but question still remains.
    thanks. Heh, that thought has actually crossed my mind in the past. But I decided to limit myself to painting logos and such on the armour. But it could be interesting, I might consider it when I finish.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Much better without the sword IMHO. It really looks terrific!
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice Can't wait for the other designs.
    thanks guys

I made those utility claws/daggers I was talking about. The dagger blades are a metal alloy with a diamond edge. And there are 2 high performance plasma torches in front of the blade edges to soften up the enemy armour before the blade cuts through it.

What do you guys think?
    65601.jpg
    I prefer it without the blades, looks alot better. I'd say stay away from melee weapons for this mech as they don't suit it's style.
    Well they pack up so they're not so visible, in the image the left mech has all the same stuff, they are just folded up. The utility claws are staying for sure though, I intend to have at least one for every mech (the european unit will only have one on the opposite side of the lance). I think it would be cool to see it deflect a lance of a charging mech with one dagger and just stick the other one out and have the enemy units momentum do the rest.
    Man that Mech looks total cool!
    thanks Dean

nothing exciting today, I textured the.........umm.........lets call it Greeble 01, lol
    65874.jpg
    Nice texturing, keep it up :)
    thanks dude

textured the roof countermeasure system and the 185mm ammo box. I applied a clean metal texture to the smoke grenades and the cannon rounds since I figured they wouldn't be around long enough to get all scratched up, heh.
    65890.jpg
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    I love it! It's such an original take on the concept.
    I'd add a couple of scratchs to a few of the rounds for the purpose of the fact they might of gotten scratched getting put into the ammo holder ;)
    Dude, your texturing is getting better with every post. Good on ya mate! :D
    thanks for the support guys

@Sly, I'll see man, but that's kinda low on the list atm, I'm starting to get kinda annoyed with all the small texturing details that I do that end up completely lost when I zoom out to see the whole mech. I think I might start applying a simple metal map with max UV coordinates to all the smallest greebles and wires rather than uvmapping and painting them. (Anything smaller than the smoke grenades). The rounds are pretty big, but they are sorta hard to see in the box.
    Just to let you guys know what's happening with these wips in case anyone's interested. My computer has sorta become inoperable in terms of anything that requires effort on its part. When I either open up 3ds max and start doing something or try to play a game, the computer immediately freezes. I'm relatively certain it's something to do with the video card (I guess it could be the processor, but I doubt it). And currently I'm sorta broke and can't afford a replacement. So for now this is on hold.