Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNear future mecha universe wips

• BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    thanks guys

I've been mostly working on other buildings that will be in the image, nothing overly interesting yet. It's gonna be a night time image. I'm a real noob at lighting, so I've been working a lot on trying to achieve correct night lights.

liam, that design is totally badass, did you do that in su or is it 2d? Imagine the hell that thing could raise if you added a reverse engineered covenant cloak and a pair of oversized energy swords, hehe
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    Its a rough model in sketchup and then more details added on it photoshop, however I have modelled it in full in sketchup and rendered it in podium, wow i think ill have to do a reversed engineered energy sword one thats a great idea lol.
    Here's one of the buildings that I'll use
    70148.jpg
    img1.jpg 439.8K
    wow that lighting is quality, how many buildings are you doing?
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah it looks very realistic and nicely lit :thumb: It would be awesome to see them tumble down under a barrage of fire :devil: (of course from the mechs which look better than ever - the last one with decals is particulary impressive)
    thanks guys

liam, enough to fill the horizon line so I dunno around 10 I guess
    Another building for today, I'm probably going to make some exterior stuff for it after.

Also a link to an image I did with the european unit in case anyone's interested: Desert Warrior
    70308.jpg
    hut4.jpg 106.5K
    Exterior for the new building, also altered the lighting to the first building. Sorry guys I know this isn't exactly scifi we're all used to around here
    70342.jpg70343.jpg
  • salsasalsa171 Posts: 0Member
    who cares about whether we're used to it or not. I prefer seeing people's original stuff than all the Trek, Wars, Warhammer, and BSG that is normally on here. Nice job on the buildings!
  • efritschefritsch0 Posts: 0Member
    Those buildings look damned good. Keep it up!
    thanks guys, really appreciate it. I've stopped working on the gen 3 prototype mech for now (that I haven't shown yet) cause it's really not working out, I think I still lack the modelling skills required to do what I want, so for now I started working on a britannian gen 2 mech (btw if anyone's interested there's some universe description in first post of the thread). I'm open to suggestions for weapon systems for the britannian unit, keep in mind it has to be balanced to fight all types of enemies. So far for heavy anti mech combat it's gonna have a rail gun and metal storm for stripping mechs of reactive armour. If anyone has any ideas for something more original than a standard 80ish mm gun for anti vehicle and a sam system for anti aircraft I'm all ears. Or anything else that sounds feasible.
    4omm vulcan like on the A-10 for anti armor and maybe another metal strom for AA?
    I think there was an idea for a missile defense system for tanks with explosive packets on the outside armor which basically just explode in a conical direction like a claymore mine and destroy the missile/rocket before it hits. They havent implemented it so far because of the dangers it has to any friendlies outside the tank when it goes off and as its automated there would be no warning etc but its been tested so there are pics and stuff. Dont confuse this with explosive reactive armor its different.
    Found this explanantion:
    An active protection system, or APS, protects a tank or other armoured fighting vehicle from incoming fire before it hits the vehicle's armour. There are two general categories: soft kill systems, which use jamming or decoys to confuse a missile's guidance system, and hard kill systems, which attempt to detect and destroy incoming projectiles.
    And this pic:
    http://sitelife.aviationweek.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/6/5/26097b00-e6ef-4ba0-a5fb-1475f0347c03.Large.jpg
    Prob a few different designs and I suppose you could get creative, anyway it just looks a bit more interesting then normal reactive armor plates.

edit:
    ahh found the names:
    Hard-kill systems are activated when a millimetre-wavelength radar or other sensor detects an incoming projectile. In considerably less than a second, they launch a counter-projectile in an attempt to physically damage or destroy the incoming round. Examples include the TROPHY and Iron Fist from Israel, the Quick Kill system from the United States, AMAP-ADS and AVePS from Germany, and the Russian Drozd and Arena.

Another think i just thought about maybe to consider for your gen 3 prototype, (which I imagine to be all slender and rounded, more ZOE mech than Armored core) is a sort of electromagnetic force field that can deflect even rail gun rounds. It was in metal gear solid 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EDMMEJS9iU Pretty far fetched I dont know how far the technology tree has gone in your universe I couldn't download the links at the start of this thread (problems with this laptop) so I dont know if it would fit in.
    I can't believe I forgot about rotating cannons for the britannian unit, I've been saving up that weapon for this one specifically. Guess that's what happends when you don't get enough sleep. Thanks salsa

liam, yeah those things are pretty cool. Ex soviet countries are already using Arena and Drozd systems on their tanks. And western countries plan to soon start using Trophy (or similar systems). They're all essentially a combination of radar and high speed grenade launchers/oversized shotguns. There's some active counter measures on both mechs I've done so far. The european mech has optronic counter measures (jammers) about in the middle of each side of the torso, a laser/radar combo behind/higher of the "head" and four fragmentational grenades on the...uhh.....chin, lol. The soviet mech has both jammers and shotgun interceptors/radar above the heavy missile launcher. And of course smoke grenades here and there for all the mechs :)
    dont really know then your mechs are pretty much perfect although im curious as to what the gen 3 prototype entails in shape etc? got any sketches or previews
    thanks for the interest :)

I've roughed out the shape (see attach), but I hate everything apart from the head. Especially the legs. I've shifted focus towards making the britannian gen 2 unit so I can make some mech/mech fighting image that works with my storyline. I think I'll get some more experience under my belt before I try to tackle the gen 3.

here is the tech tree from the doc file:

2014 - 2020: Generation 1
    - First walking battle mechs (Every military uses a different name but universally known as mechs or walkers).
    - Effective yet relatively simple gyro systems.
    - Quite effective with a wide array of conventional weaponry.
    - Heavy armour/active defenses.
    - Very well optimized control systems.
    2020 - 2036: Generation 2
    - Large advances in gyro systems. Widespread introduction of advanced ball joint.
    - Improved mobility with driving systems added to walking systems.
    - Mobility assistance systems become widely used. (Jet propulsion).
    - New experimental weapons. (Magnetic cannons, particle projectile weapons, light energy weapons, etc).
    - Significant advances in hydrogen fuel cell technology allow for much more efficient energy storage and usage.
    - Advancements in human-machine interface improve the control systems substantially.
    - Pilot ejection systems become frequently used.
    2036 - 2045: Generation 3 (In testing/prototype stage)
    - Development of ground breaking A“PandoraA’s BoxA” technology allows for storage and utilization of previously unheard of amounts of energy.
    - New magnetic drive system allows conversion of electrical energy into magnetic energy with great efficiency. A“IcarusA” engine system is developed that uses magnetic energy from A“PandoraA’s BoxA” storage device to allow large heavy objects to levitate. The A“IcarusA” engine is quickly adopted for use with mechs, in combination with advanced ion propulsion systems for control.
    - Magnetic shield defenses using the A“IcarusA” system are developed that can largely negate metallic projectiles.
    - A“G-PillowA” fluid G-force reduction system allows pilots to sustain forces of up 30Gs for short periods of time.
    - Significant improvements in stealth characteristics of mechs to account for them often being in the air now.
    2045(Expected) -> : Generation 4 (Currently theorized/in early development)
    - Advanced brain-machine interface that allows control of the mech completely without hand/leg controls.
    - Proliferation of mech weapon systems will likely see more weaponry suited for mech-mech combat equipped rather than omni-enemy loadouts of current designs.
    - Rotating frequency shield system to be able to stop light energy weapons.
    Light bending sensor/imaging systems to allow reduction of visual profile of the units.
    70427.jpg
    gen3.jpg 118.9K
    yeah I see what you mean, i imagined a sort of stealth/lighting quick mech equipped with a melee weapon and advanced energy weapons. Stalking lesser machines in a ruined city type environment. The reverse jointed legs are cool they remind me of armored core 1 but the feet just look clumsy, I know you need big feet like that with reverse jointed legs to dissipate the weight but something more slender would be nicer.
    I sort of imagined it to feel like this mech http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/3/10/31/f_AnubisZOE2m_b8de1b1.jpg this just looks slender and quick but still bulky and strong. I know the tech here is way beyond your universe but you get what I mean.

Also the main mech in this video has a pretty cool design in terms of slenderness but still very powerful YouTube - armored core for answer? ??Opening Movie ?
    Well it doesn't have any weapons in the render.

Yeah white glint is an awesome design. I find a lot of inspiration in armoured core designs but I try to make my mechs a tad more realistic. I wish I was as good as the guys that design those mechs though.
    Got the general shape of the britannian mech down. Still missing some weapons and shields. One of the rail guns placeholders will be a rotary cannon. Could really use some critique this early into it.

Also noticed thread got over 10,000 views, thanks for checking up on my progress everyone :)
    70432.jpg
    looks good so far cant really fault it, whats the purpose of the raised structure in front of the head on the torso, a camera/sensor thing or a decoy? Maybe a little antipersonnel turret to get rid of people sized targets, cant really see where it could go, except the obvious without looking like a penis gun lol
    Thank you, it's the radar tower for the laser interceptor emplacement behind the head. That's a good idea, I should probably add a set of sniper rifles for this one, lol will have to think of a good location for them, maybe a set on each side to avoid the look that you mentioned. I had the 3 sniper rifles on the soviet mech offset to the side for that reason, lol. I decided there isn't really a point for machine guns on these things since the anti-vehicle guns would be plenty to supress any infantry, but what is a good idea is independent axis (so they can engage more than one target silmutaneously) sniper rifles in case the mech will face a situation where enemy infantry will use human shields or when allied soldiers will be danger close.
    My only quibble is that it looks a little top heavy. Could try any number of things to fix that.
    No problem on the reminder, just trying to help out.
    lol hate it when you write a big long reply and you loose it lol.
    Anyway the mech i this vid has a turret on its chin able to engage targets in any direction compared to its main weapons:
    YouTube - Mechwarrior 4 Intro
    Metal Gear Rex has a turret that looks like a cock but is able to carry it off, I didnt even realize when I used to have the game:
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4882/1186192913896ul3.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/Fallen_Blade/Metal%20Gear%20Solid/MetalGearRexX.jpg
    I suppose if you remodel the lower torso you could add a small turret maybe like the chain gun on the apache. I think it would be cool if the turret was housed and swiveled out when its needed sort of the same as the chain gun on the cancelled comanche project. I cant find any videos of this turret but its pretty cool and worth checking out, ive got an animated 3D model on my work computer so I can post it to show if your interested.
  • BloodbaneBloodbane0 Posts: 0Member
    Maybe these two can help for the turret.

cpcomtur.jpg

rah662.gif
    salsa: really? I dunno, maybe it's partially the perspective, it has about the same torso/leg ratio as the other mechs

liam, bloodbane: I don't think I'll have opening gun turrets on this one. It can't fly so there's no need for stealth.

update:
    70604.jpg
    been difficult to find time to work on this lately

I've messed around with a mbt. Keep in mind that mechs are fairly rare being too expensive they are mostly used by generals like shock troops being sent into different parts of the battlefield to carve out a path where other forces fail to make progress. Their price tag also means that commanders are often reluctant to risk them unless necessary, so tracked/wheeled armoured fighting vehicles are still the workhorse of most armies.
    71141.jpg
  • RAF-MXRAF-MX10 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome , man !!
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    That turret doesn't look like it's mounted properly. Like it's riding pretty high on the hull.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    RAFE, thanks dude

Liz, not exactly sure what you mean, I think it's just the perspective and lighting. Here's a side view:
    71149.jpg
    mbt2.jpg 417.8K
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    I like the shape of the turret, but it look like the shape of the it would almost funnel a sabot round to the turret ring.
    Your work is great Berkut!